Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 11-10-2013, 04:37 AM

Default Holidays

How do you guys split or combine holidays? My bf asked me today about Thanksgiving and I wasn't even sure how to go about it. I would of course love to spend time with him during the holidays. Any advice would be great.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:41 AM

There's some threads on here regarding that.

We spend holidays together. Anyone who wants to join is welcome.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:17 AM

Dude doesn't have contact with his family so holidays are spent with mine or MrS's. Usually we three will get together with one family on the holiday itself and the other on the holiday weekend.
Lotus: poly bi female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS (1+ years)
TT: poly male, married to Lotus, FB with JaneQ
VV and MsJ: bi-women with male primaries, LTR LDR FWBs to JaneQ

My poly blogs here:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe
Old 11-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Banned

Easy for me, I have a kid. I'll spend a day or two with partners over the Xmas period but the main days are spent with my family. I don't integrate people into my family life easily, at all.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:18 AM

Gralson is a slave to his job, works out of town all but 4 days every 2 weeks. So I'm lucky to see him for Thanksgiving at all. Auto usually does things with either her or her husband's parents.

Christmas we do differently each year. Auto always hosts a Solstice celebration for everyone in the extended family. Last year, we made a relationship train of 6 people: Gralson, me, Auto, her husband, his boyfriend, and his wife. My mom was even there, all the way from 1200 km away. This year, Gralson and I are planning to travel to my home town for xmas.

But I like to poach the phrase "first world problems" to describe the issue of "I have too much love in my life, how do I decide who to share it with during holidays?" A popular recommendation for that problem is to volunteer at a homeless shelter / soup kitchen for the holidays, and invite your partners to join you. Hard for anyone to criticize you for choosing the wrong person that way, plus the obvious benefit of helping those less fortunate than yourselves.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 11-10-2013, 11:25 AM

We do something with Butch. His closest family is 15 hours away in Chicago.

The either the kids and I our just me go with Murf to family events.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:44 PM

J spent Halloween with us. N and I travel out of state for thanksgiving, N and I don't celebrate Xmas. J goes out of town to her parents house for holidays. As far as I'm aware, J's family is Pretty in the dark about her life, shes a fairly secretive person.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagferi View Post
We do something with Butch. His closest family is 15 hours away in Chicago.

The either the kids and I our just me go with Murf to family events.
That's where N's family is, I love vacationing there
Old 11-10-2013, 11:47 PM

This wasn't a poly thing-but when we had a "his, mine and ours" kid situation, we commonly rescheduled holidays or duplicated them.

We did Christmas on New Years for YEARS. (great for getting after Christmas specials.

This year we're doing Thanksgiving a week early.

As a child-my parents both worked in the medical fields-so we did holidays on alternate days as well.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:09 PM

Even when Fly and I were each other's only real partners, we still celebrated holidays separately. It's the same with Moonlight. We all have our own families, and Fly and I are further complicated by Kiddo's schedule with Fly's baby-mama. As well, Fly works for an artisan bakery, so the days preceding holidays are huge production and delivery days for him, so he's often exhausted by the time the actual holiday rolls around.

Thanksgiving, I go to my family, Moonlight does something with her family, Fly either comes with me or goes to his parents' or one of his sisters' houses, depending on what's going on. Then, Moonlight and I go to her friends' big thanksgiving dinner on Friday for our holiday time together.

My family celebrates on christmas eve, which also happens to be Fly's mom's birthday. So, he goes to his family, I go to mine. If it's our year to have Kiddo, we do Christmas morning just the three of us. If he's at his mom's, christmas day is pretty quiet. Moonlight does christmas morning with her daughter and granddaughter. She and I celebrate on boxing day. Fly's folks have a big party every year shortly before christmas, so I usually attend that with him.

Last New Year's Eve, Moonlight, Fly, and I all hung out together at a party. I don't know what will happen this year.

For us, spending the precise day together with partners isn't as important as just the general sharing the holiday season with them. We're also lucky that for all three of us, our families are local, so there's no worry about traveling or having to pick and choose which events to attend, etc.

- Moonlight, single, leans monogamous, girlfriend since 6/2012
- Punk, married guy, poly, FWB since 9/2011 with an emphasis on the "F"
- No longer lives with ex-boyfriend Fly (1/2006 - 12/2013, my introduction to nonmonogamy, ultimately amicable breakup), and his 10-year-old son Kiddo