Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 02-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Default Why do some polys approach monos?

I found this on another forum (okc) and was wondering if anyone here had any thoughts or expansions on why? My answer was twofold. (I have expanded my answer a bit since I am more familiar with vbulletin

Quote:
At this point I would say I am guilty of that. Excluding the fact I do live in a small community in Whistler with no real poly presence, I tend to be attracted to mono's.

My answer is simple, and your statement implies my reasoning. I am newish to poly, and trying to "get with" someone experienced has been interesting since I am a newb. I can't tell you how many times I have seen complaints of new poly's in a bad light. Well, how do you get experience? Find someone either new to poly as well or not even involved yet.

Kind of reminds me of complaints of BDSM. How do you get the experience in order to become a popular M/s when the community itself seems to be very cliquish to the experienced.

Almost seems like a catch 22, loosing battle. Obviously this isnt 100% the case, poly meetings, fetish parties etc are ways "in". But those seem to happen infrequently and personally, I am not overly patient, I don't want to be "open" once a month on the 5th while the sun shines in the north...well you get my meaning. I love flirting, touching and being around people. There are a lot more mono's out there than people actively looking at poly.
I might also be lucky living where I live, I have yet to have anyone run away when I say our relationship is open.

So curious, does everyone on here ONLY pickup poly's or do you throw your hat in the mono side and why?

Last edited by ImaginaryIllusion; 02-26-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
So curious, does everyone on here ONLY pickup poly's or do you throw your hat in the mono side and why?
I would just make one distinction here. Being single does not equal being monogamous. A single person can be poly or mono. The title of the thread is a bit misleading in that sense.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 PM

When I was looking on okc to meet people to potentially date, I limited myself to people that either listed their relationship status as available or mentioned polyamory in their profile. I don't care whether someone is mono or poly, just so long as they really understand what poly is.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyfish View Post
When I was looking on okc to meet people to potentially date, I limited myself to people that either listed their relationship status as available or mentioned polyamory in their profile. I don't care whether someone is mono or poly, just so long as they really understand what poly is.
On okc, "available" doesn't mean "single" right? That confused me at first. When I was filling out my profile, they said that if you put yourself as "married or seeing someone" but still had "dating or sex" in your seeking section, it would list you as available.

I had an ad on kijiji and I didn't mention in the ad that I was poly, but I told everyone within the first couple replies that I was married and looking to expand on the love in my life. One person turned and ran, one person was married herself so she was fine with that, and the other person said she was mono but that she wasn't looking for a serious relationship anyway so she didn't think that would be a problem. Oh! And one person was poly!

So to sum up, yes I throw my hat into the mono arena, and mention that I'm not looking for a second life-long partner although if I meet someone and it works out that way, I'm not opposed to it either. (as a side note, I never was looking for a first life-long partner, it just happened that one of the people I was dating turned out to be my soul mate, so that part is nothing new)

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 02-26-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
On okc, "available" doesn't mean "single" right? That confused me at first. When I was filling out my profile, they said that if you put yourself as "married or seeing someone" but still had "dating or sex" in your seeking section, it would list you as available.
Thats correct ..
Old 02-27-2010, 01:08 AM

I don't control who I connect with and fall in love with. If they are poly, they're poly. If they're mono, they're mono.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:17 AM

How would we know if someone we (we being us poly folk) are interested in is mono or poly before approaching them and getting to know them?
Old 02-27-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxflame88 View Post
How would we know if someone we (we being us poly folk) are interested in is mono or poly before approaching them and getting to know them?
You mean you don't have "polydar" ? :P

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 03-22-2010, 02:55 PM

Default clear lines

There are so many people out there, that do not openly admit to being 'ok' with Poly, it`s rather difficult to know ahead of time, if someone is or isn`t.

On OKC, I have had many contacts who seem to legitamately want to explore the idea. While there are some who don't get it, and really just want a piece of ass, ......I believe not everyone is looking solely, to get laid.

We all got to start somewhere.

Only problem I see, is if someone states that they are definetly monogamous, and not interested in a poly dynamic, yet feel persued anyhow.

....and unfortunately, there are jerks in every crowd.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjast View Post
Only problem I see, is if someone states that they are definetly monogamous, and not interested in a poly dynamic, yet feel persued anyhow.
Agreed! I would have considered myself mono until I started dating S. She never made me feel like I was being hunted and that is what made my transition to poly possible.