Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 03-10-2010, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
You responded while I was editing! You're fast!
I have a hair trigger...

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM

Sometimes I can be told the same thing over and over again in different ways and I just don't get it - then, whether it's the mindset I am in at the time, the wording that's used, the phase of the moon, or whether beings on Planet 10 are influencing it - all of a sudden it clicks.

The main thing is that it clicks.

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Old 03-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Custodian

The most impressive thing right now is that it is possible to have this very conversation without devolving to angry personal insults.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
The most impressive thing right now is that it is possible to have this very conversation without devolving to angry personal insults.
How DARE you say that to me! I take that personally!

Too soon?

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Old 03-10-2010, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDuMatin View Post

Too soon?
Oh too funny!
Old 03-10-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
As to why I didn't get it before? All I heard from others writing about this before was their frustration and anger. Not what they were trying to get across.
I wonder if that perception has more to do with who was writing the words rather than what was actually written. I wonder if some of that frustration and anger was assumed in the reading of it before it was read. In going back and re-reading the thread, people were endeavoring to clearly explain why prescriptive relationships can be damaging. There wasn't "frustration and anger". The frustration came after there were continual rebuttals to points that weren't actually being made.

Quote:
I also found that there was an assumption around undertanding some key words and concepts that I was not familiar with.
What terms were those?

Quote:
Like every human that feels judged and threatened, I struggled to understand and when frustration and judgement towards me came in it was near impossible to. It took taking myself out of feeling that way and finding another route to be able to understand.
This is interesting too. It was repeatedly stated in that particular thread that people were not referring to you when the issues were brought up.

Either way, glad you came to an understanding of what we were talking about, though Joreth used many of the exact same words and phrases in that podcast that she wrote in her posts about it. Perhaps you're more of a verbal than visual learner.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Custodian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CielDuMatin View Post

Too soon?

HA! What makes you think I was referring to YOU, then? If you don't do that, then I am not talking about YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
I wonder if that perception has more to do with who was writing the words rather than what was actually written.
If this were true, then hearing the podcast wouldn't have made a difference.

Quote:
I wonder if some of that frustration and anger was assumed in the reading of it before it was read.
This can be a function of the medium, such as not being able to hear someone's tone of voice or facial expression. Still, it is unfortunate that people tend to assign the worst intentions to something someone else says when it can be taken in more than one way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
Perhaps you're more of a verbal than visual learner.
This is what I was thinking too, regarding redpepper.

Last edited by NeonKaos; 03-10-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: merge posts
Old 03-10-2010, 07:44 PM

My perception had nothing to do with who was writing and I think we all take things the wrong way sometimes.

Last edited by redpepper; 03-10-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:39 PM

I think learning style may be a HUGE factor, not only on this board, but in life.

I know that we come across a number of communication issues in our relationship due to that.
I am primarily a visual learner with a strong ability to learn kinesthetically and great difficulty learning from things I hear.
GG is TOTALLY a kinesthetic learner and seeing or hearing it is damn near to impossible for him (Which I might add makes for a NIGHTMARE in helping him understand new things).

Maca is strong in all three-EXCEPT he has a MUCH smaller vocabulary then I do-and a strong tendency to misuse words. UGH.

So I think that it makes perfect sense that you "got it" when you could hear it instead of reading it-you've already been QUITE clear about your difficulty with reading/writing AND you've also been very clear about your difficulty with understanding the definitions of some of the terms that were used on this topic (so there with ya on that one!) AND it was a different atmosphere and circumstance too.

Glad you could get it AND lay it out here to share!
I know the WHOLE concept is one Maca is still struggling with significantly.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:31 PM

I hope maca gets something out of it LR as that was my intent in starting this thread.

I really hope that it is helpful. Otherwise I will feel marginalized for having dyslexia. Lol I read that apparently I am not able to grasp English at one point didn't I? Or maybe that wasn't directed towards me.

Its a good thing I have a sense of humour and can brush things off... :P hahaha... Ooo.

I got it. Is that not enough?

Tags
boyfriends, definitions, defintions, descriptions, equality, equanimity, family, girlfriends, hierarchy, importance, labeling, new dynamics, new relationships, poly singles, prescriptions, primaries, primary, primary/secondary, relationship dynamics, relationships, secondaries, secondary, terminology, unicorn