Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 10-13-2013, 12:30 AM

Default To the Unicorn Hunters

I saw this in a post about a couple who had found a bi woman to join their relationship, successfully:

"Since meeting her my gf and I have watched our relationship improve. I am no longer unstable in my feelings, my girl is loving it of course and we are happier. I always knew I was not monogomous but now I realize that I may be someone who needs a poly relationship."

We (the outside world) may understand this happens and can be healthy. But, please, talk about her as if she's a human being. Stop just telling us about how she's "improved your relationship with your girlfriend." Stop telling us about how much you and she love it. Tell us about the new girl. Tell us about what she's like, why you like her, why your first girlfriend likes her. Something that makes us think she's not just a sex toy for you.

Maybe then unicorn hunters won't get such a bad rap?
Old 10-13-2013, 01:12 AM

I know those vomit worthy "success" stories really get my goat too. Often posted three weeks into the dream life long (obviously) relationship also.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyinPractice View Post
We (the outside world) may understand this happens and can be healthy. But, please, talk about her as if she's a human being. Stop just telling us about how she's "improved your relationship with your girlfriend." Stop telling us about how much you and she love it. Tell us about the new girl. Tell us about what she's like, why you like her, why your first girlfriend likes her. Something that makes us think she's not just a sex toy for you.
A thousand YESes!

I, too, felt like I was reading about a new marital aid.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natja View Post
I know those vomit worthy "success" stories really get my goat too. Often posted three weeks into the dream life long (obviously) relationship also.
I seem to recall a glowing post here on this forum about the great success of the poster's triad. When asked, it was about 48 hours strong.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappened View Post
I seem to recall a glowing post here on this forum about the great success of the poster's triad. When asked, it was about 48 hours strong.
Words...fail...me....
Old 10-13-2013, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappened View Post
Well, sure. On Earth.
In Narnia time, that's what... one year? Two?

("I'll bet they're closeted too...")
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 10-13-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
Well, sure. On Earth.
In Narnia time, that's what... one year? Two?

("I'll bet they're closeted too...")
Wayyyy more than that. Didn't they spend years in Narnia and show up back on Earth seconds later? So 48 hours in Narnia time is like a century or two.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Official Greeter

The true sign of a contemptible unicorn hunter: objectification of their prize.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:58 PM

I suppose the only thing about that quote (in the OP) is that there were only two lines, so there wasn't enough space to talk about the complications, the discussions, the valuing of everyone's essential humanity (and human essence), the ups, the downs, the in-betweens, the not-that-great moments that are more or less the parcel of real life, and the doubts, fears, and other insecurities that we all carry around and (in some cases) see in each other (and in better cases, touch and interact with, safely).

If I think about how any of my poly relationships have come to be, my god, if only it were easy. It hasn't been easy. It's been worth it, but not easy.

But back to the quote: was this the whole quote? Is the only mention of the third person the word "her" and nothing else? Huh. Wow.