Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 PM
NeonKaos NeonKaos is offline
Custodian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: new england
Posts: 3,221
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
I haven't even opened up the link so we're good! What's CF stand for?

No, I didn't mean "enemies" as in people from this site. I meant "enemies" as in Joreth's LJ fans/friends.

I suppose I could blog about "oppression" and "censorship" every time I have a post deleted by the mods over at customerssuck.com. But I recognize that they are doing the job they signed up to do... Although the owner of that forum maintains a presence which Olivier does not do here, but that's just a detail and does not change the reality that we as moderators are not here to provide customer service to members of the forum.

"CF" stands for "child-free" and refers to someone who has made a conscious choice to not become a parent. It is a way of making a distinction from "childLESS" which refers to people who want to be parents but for whatever reason do not do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
I am often disappointed by the culture of this forum, which seems to view disagreements as attacks and seems to hold a high double standard for what is hostile or not.
I would have "squelched" any post that said "fuck you" to someone. And I would handle this situation exactly the same way if I had to do it all over again.

Some things are subjective and one person's passive-aggressive can be another person's dry sense of humor. I don't see what there is to gain by saying that to someone other than to get them to say "fuck you" back.

I've never seen you say "fuck you" to anybody on this forum and you manage quite well. It's this little thing called "self-control". Some people have it, some don't.

Last edited by NeonKaos; 03-04-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: merge posts
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Having been on here for almost a year I have seen people come and go. Some left because thier relationships crumbled, others because they did not recieve the approval they were looking for in thier shitty behavior and some because they stood out as disruptive elements in every thread they touched. I also took a short break because of the "bullying" tactics of others. This forum has been a great place for people who communicate with honesty and respect. I don't think that will change and look forward to continued particiaption by mature respectful people.
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-04-2010, 08:37 PM
Ceoli Ceoli is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
I would have "squelched" any post that said "fuck you" to someone. And I would handle this situation exactly the same way if I had to do it all over again.
I'm talking about the general culture and not that specific incident. Whether or not that post was "squelched" or not, or even if the post in question never existed, it wouldn't change my feelings about it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 PM
rolypoly's Avatar
rolypoly rolypoly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 350
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
I am often disappointed by the culture of this forum
I have no idea what's going on in here, so I can't say much more. I also feel disappointed on here sometimes. I tried reading through the primary secondary thread because I thought it might relate to some of what I was feeling and seemed to come into a heated argument, so turned away.

If I had 3 times to live this life, in one of them, I'd be a mediator.
__________________
My heart is too big to fit into one person.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Ceoli Ceoli is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Having been on here for almost a year I have seen people come and go. Some left because thier relationships crumbled, others because they did not recieve the approval they were looking for in thier shitty behavior and some because they stood out as disruptive elements in every thread they touched. I also took a short break because of the "bullying" tactics of others. This forum has been a great place for people who communicate with honesty and respect. I don't think that will change and look forward to continued particiaption by mature respectful people.
Interesting. I know many honest and respectful people who have left this forum because they have felt there is no room for that on this forum.

I suppose some will just choose to make that fact irrelevant so that they can see things the way they want to see things.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-04-2010, 08:52 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
Interesting. I know many honest and respectful people who have left this forum because they have felt there is no room for that on this forum.

I suppose some will just choose to make that fact irrelevant so that they can see things the way they want to see things.
Yes, it's a shame we lost some good ones.
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Ceoli Ceoli is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Yes, it's a shame we lost some good ones.
And you are the authority about who are the good ones and who aren't?

Interesting.

That is very selective welcoming indeed. I suppose that supports my point and lends more justifications to how I feel about the culture of this forum.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-04-2010, 09:21 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceoli View Post
And you are the authority about who are the good ones and who aren't?

Interesting.

That is very selective welcoming indeed. I suppose that supports my point and lends more justifications to how I feel about the culture of this forum.
Wow! You're ability to read innacurately into my comments rivals my ability to read into yours LOL!

I never made that claim did I? Feel free to quote me where I did if you wish to make your point valid. Sticking to black and white would serve better in making your response more logical than emotional.
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Ravenesque's Avatar
Ravenesque Ravenesque is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGirl View Post
I would have "squelched" any post that said "fuck you" to someone. And I would handle this situation exactly the same way if I had to do it all over again.

Some things are subjective and one person's passive-aggressive can be another person's dry sense of humor. I don't see what there is to gain by saying that to someone other than to get them to say "fuck you" back.

I've never seen you say "fuck you" to anybody on this forum and you manage quite well. It's this little thing called "self-control". Some people have it, some don't.
That leads to a rather circular discussion involving subjectivity.

The term is "double standard." And when it comes to subjectivity, the playing field is the property of the moderators here. This includes the belief that some forms of insulting someone are better than other forms. Snideness, belittling, etc, are fine when done by the right people. "Certain members." Whoever happens to be friendly and share the same belief system with whoever.

I was held to blame for the obnoxious behavior of others simply for stating in one line my experience with *gasp* another forum. When other members actually created threads transparently to attack other groups, no moderation.

There is a glaring lack of certain members being held accountable for their words and posts in contrast to other members.

It is all up for "interpretation" and the "interpretation" of certain people are weighed above others.

I've already experienced the double standard here as have others.

As for expressing anger, there is nothing wrong with it and it is an absurd but often seen cop out stance by others to withdraw from discussion, shut down, or even go the extreme distance of "I'm attacked!" when others express the emotion.

I am very happy I found this online: The Uses of Anger by Audre Lorde.

This applies to situations like this. I already I have Sister Outsider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
I haven't even opened up the link so we're good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Yes, it's a shame we lost some good ones.
A glimpse of the dominant culture of the forum perhaps. Close the ears to differing views. Don't even look. And qualify the individuals that agree with you as the "good ones." Seems about right. Thank you for illustrating that Mono.

~Raven~
__________________
Are you a polyamorist or non-monogamous individual between the ages 18-35? Are you located in New York State or the Northeast?
Join us at The Network, a social and socially aware network which connects young polys and progressive polys of all ages.



~Open up your mind and let me step inside.
Rest your weary head and let your heart decide. It's so easy.
When you know the rules.
It's so easy. All you have to do is fall in love.
Play the game.
Everybody play the game of love. Yeah...~

Last edited by Ravenesque; 03-04-2010 at 09:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-04-2010, 09:30 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Glad to help you out Raven. Take it easy
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:20 PM.