Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-23-2013, 02:53 PM

Why do you find it so hard to believe that people like myself do not fall in (romantic) love with more than one person at the same time?

I wish people would stop conflating "wiring" (or "how I love others") with "preferred relationship style" (which can be based on social constructs). It's not just you, but it makes it quite aggravating to feel like I have to defend myself against a belief that I'm something I'm not. I'm *in* a Poly relationship. I'm already (evidently) thumbing my nose at convention. But I don't love that way.

Dammit... I fell for the necropost. But it's still, I suppose, a valid discussion. It's a discussion I need to have everytime someone tells me that monogamy is such an oppressive construct, when the word "monogamy" is used to encompass two different things entirely.
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

My navel-gazing blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
My slightly more polished blog (external): From Baltic to Boardwalk

Last edited by YouAreHere; 09-23-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Added the "romantic" to head the "but you love your children and friends!" retort off at the pass

Tags
mono/poly, monogamous