Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM
Banned

Many people don't realise that even a full screening does not include HSV. That's why it can be so frustrating when people discriminate against those with a positive status yet have probably not been screened themselves.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:06 PM

miss pixi also told me she always tells the person who is doing her labs that she has been engaging in high risk behavior (up to and including unprotected anal sex with multiple random partners) (even though she doesn't!) just to get the most rigorous tests done on her blood. Paranoid? Maybe. But I don't blame her for wanting as much info as possible. I do too!

I've heard some dr's refuse to order HSV 1 tests just because it is so common to have been exposed, had an immune response, never get a lesion but still test positive. This would be the sign of a strong immune system keeping the virus at bay when it tries to ride up the nerves. However, I do not know if there is the possibility of asymptomatic shedding, and therefore transmission risk, in a person who has never had a lesion.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 09-20-2013, 05:09 PM

There is that risk Mag even if you haven't ever had a lesion.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
There is that risk Mag even if you haven't ever had a lesion.
OK... So since most adults have it, I wonder what percentage never get a lesion but still pass it on to others who either get lesions or don't? Ach!
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

miss pixi, 37
Old 09-21-2013, 10:53 PM

Hey Mags,
There is data on asymptomatic shedding rates. This is one research report.
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article....ticleid=896698

There are others, google, herpes asymptomatic shedding rates

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/herp...ntion_tips.htm

Is a good website. Library links on the right and forums on the left.

HTH

Last edited by Atlantis; 09-21-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:42 AM

It's a good question Mags. I don't know the answer to that. But certainly a good question.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:43 AM

Thank you, Atlantis, those were helpful.

miss pixi, 37
Old 09-22-2013, 05:40 PM

I had all tests last month, negative for both HSV 1 & 2. This thread has me confused because I had cold sores a lot up to the age of 20 (always with a cold & runny nose). It seems based on the discussion here I should test positive for HSV1.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibabe_muse View Post
I had all tests last month, negative for both HSV 1 & 2. This thread has me confused because I had cold sores a lot up to the age of 20 (always with a cold & runny nose). It seems based on the discussion here I should test positive for HSV1.
There are a couple other conditions that can cause lip sores, but that is rather bizarre, Ali! But I am never surprised at how different people's immune systems respond to disease (and vaccinations). Did tons of research on all that back when my kids were young.

I limited my kids' vaxes and in their preteen, early teen years all 3 of my kids, and myself, came down with pertussis (caught from unvaccinated cousins). After all of us being sick a while and typical pertussis symptoms began, we all went to the doctor to get tested (she was a MD as well as using homeopathy). Even though we all had the exact same symptoms of about equal duration, 2 tested pos and 2 tested neg. *rolleyes* (We all took meds to make us less contagious to the public for the next couple weeks, in case anyone is getting nervous to read we actually had and survived pertussis.)

miss pixi, 37

Last edited by Magdlyn; 09-22-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibabe_muse View Post
It's possible the cold sores may have been canker sores (sometimes the two look very similar).

I also have always tested negative for HSV 1 & 2, but did have canker sores when I was younger.
Merry: Tig's wife/slave
NT: Merry's boyfriend/owner
Elle: NT and Merry girlfriend
Umbra: Elle's Dom
Pet: Umbra's slave/wife, Elle girlfriend
Domo: Pet's submissive