Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 03:15 AM

Smile "The Burn" is "The Pleasure"?

I haven't been able to find any thing like this on this website or even the internet in general.~

Well I have, but not any focusing specifically on the "the burn" becoming "the pleasure".~

I love to workout, I love getting physically stronger, and I love to work up a sweat!~ ^_^ mmmm....sweat!~

I workout to become stronger and healthier, I don't want to be bulky in any way on purpose. I love being slim, flexible, fast, and adaptable.~ I don't like to lift weights and I don't like artificial things and places designed to workout like gyms and machines.~ I much prefer natural movement and using my own natural body weight.~

When I reach that point where I am working out and I start to "feel the burn" that pain associated with becoming stronger: I think in my head, "I am becoming STRONGER!"~ and it still hurts but I started realizing that I recently have begun to feel "pleasure" as well, and the more I push myself the closer it comes to becoming sort of almost like a toned-down "orgasm".~

Does any one else experience this sensation?~

I never really thought of myself as a "torture me for pain, the more it hurts the more I like it!" - kind of guy, but I think that the fact that I associate the "burn" from working out with becoming "stronger" maybe be one of the reasons why this is happening to me.~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 09-14-2013 at 03:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
I haven't been able to find any thing like this on this website or even the internet in general.~

Well I have, but not any focusing specifically on the "pain".~

I love to workout, I love getting physically stronger, and I love to work up a sweat!~ ^_^ mmmm....sweat!~

I workout to become stronger and healthier, I don't want to be bulky in any way on purpose. I love being slim, flexible, fast, and adaptable.~ I don't like to lift weights and I don't like artificial things and places designed to workout like gyms and machines.~ I much prefer natural movement and using my own natural body weight.~

When I reach that point where I am working out and I start to "feel the burn" that pain associated with becoming stronger: I think in my head, "I am becoming STRONGER!"~ and it still hurts but I started realizing that I recently have begun to feel "pleasure" as well, and the more I push myself the closer it comes to becoming sort of almost like a toned-down "orgasm".~

I never really thought of myself as a "torture me for pain, the more it hurts the more I like it!" - kind of guy, but I think that the fact that I associate the "burn" from working out with becoming "stronger" maybe be one of the reasons why this is happening to me.~
Yes.. although I do prefer weights, and bulk.

I have also gotten similar "burns" from body weight workouts, even dabbled in natural workout (I forget the name)

Moving, and progressing is my thing .. that usually includes the well sought after burn.

I also used to power lift, and played football. So I quite enjoy the fitness I aim for, which is alway adjusting. Sometimes leaner and faster, sometimes I want to life really heavy things. It all depends on .. the time of the year I suppose. Keeping in mind at 6'5, my lean weight is 250 and I can get as heavy as 300 pretty easily depending on how I am feeling.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:27 AM

Recently, about 2 weeks ago I did 10 chin-ups and 10 pull-ups in one day: 2 sets of 5 each.~

The next day my arms felt like some one had hit them with a truck and I could barely move them for 4 days and they were swollen to.~

After some icey hot, a hot steaming bath, and 4 days later I could fully move my arms again.~

Now 2 weeks later, I CAN NOT DO 1 SINGLE PULL-UPS OR CHIN-UP!~

Keep in mind that before that 1 time 2 weeks ago, I hadn't done a pull-up or a chin-up in 10 years!~

Are my muscles still healing?~

I started doing drop-downs: starting at the top and slowly dropping down and trying to pull myself up and stay in that position for as long as I can.~

I've been inventing new ways to work out my triceps and my entire arms using only my own body weight:

laying on the ground back as close to the floor as I can arms lifting my body up,

legs-crossed and locked in lotus position butt facing the floor lifting my body up using only my arms,

knees to the ground facing the floor relaxing the rest of my body and pushing myself up with only my arms against the the weight of my body using my relaxed knees as a pivot,

legs crossed and locked in the lotus position and using my arms as my 'legs' to move around haven't been able to 'walk' yet but I am getting close.

And of course I randomly do 1 set of 20 push-ups, sit-ups, or squats, throughout the entire day, I can do 40 push-ups non-stop and double that with sit-ups.~

I also run 1 mile and 1/2 in 6:30 minutes and seconds and pedal a stand-still bike for 1 hour and 1 minute for 10 mile distance on "8" resistance setting (highest resistance setting) every couple of days.~

I also do a bunch of other workouts that I heard were going to be done in Navy bootcamp where I am headed in less than 4 months (February):

flutter-kicks, laying-down side-leg-lifts, diamond push-ups, 8-count bodybuilders, and mountain climbers.~

After a certain point regular push-ups, sit-ups, and squats, weren't 'doing it' for me, but by changing everything to everything above, I'm starting to 'feel it' again especially with the workouts working out my triceps!~ ^_^

Should I stop and wait for my arms to fully heal if they aren't already healed?~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 09-14-2013 at 05:21 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 04:47 AM

Rest is the most important part of working out. Its what heals the muscles and helps them grow stronger. Are you early on? It sounds like you may be pushing your workouts to more extreme then your body is used to?

You don't mention how long you have been working out? What your minimums are.. etc.

Everything you have described.. sounds like you need rest. Try alternating like traditional body building to give broad areas of muscles rest.

Push
Pull
Legs

Is a good split to help you get as much rest as possible..

Dropdowns, also known as negative reps also cause the most "damage" might wanna rest abit more after those.

Oh ya.. eat.. eat lots.. protein to help you heal. Really you have to play with your food to figure out what helps you. Personally Paleo suits me well, my body absorbs proteins nicely and I tend not to work well with carbs in my system leaving my lethargic in the afternoon. I have traditionally done the 30x30x30 system which has suited me as well. As long as I keep my carbs lowish and low glycemic I heal well and grow strong.

Eat
Rest
Split your workouts

Grow stronger and enjoy

(throw in some other routines too.. pistol squat, russian pushups, burpees and other ploymetric style workouts)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009...kick-your-ass/
http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building...ght-exercises/

Oh ya, TRX rocks. Truly kickass stuff. I love suspended workouts.

I do try to workout often, but I travel frequently so sometimes bodyweight exercises are all I have. Gets difficult for motivation since I truly love to move heavy things. Hopefully some of those sites help you out.

Oh.. one thing I love about bodyweight exercises are the freedom.. go play on a playground.. screw pullups, just climb arond like a monkey, don't try to touch the ground. Make challenges for yourself like when you were a kid. Betcha its still a workout ..
Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Rest is the most important part of working out. Its what heals the muscles and helps them grow stronger. Are you early on? It sounds like you may be pushing your workouts to more extreme then your body is used to?

You don't mention how long you have been working out? What your minimums are.. etc.

Everything you have described.. sounds like you need rest. Try alternating like traditional body building to give broad areas of muscles rest.

Push
Pull
Legs

Is a good split to help you get as much rest as possible..

Dropdowns, also known as negative reps also cause the most "damage" might wanna rest abit more after those.

Oh ya.. eat.. eat lots.. protein to help you heal. Really you have to play with your food to figure out what helps you. Personally Paleo suits me well, my body absorbs proteins nicely and I tend not to work well with carbs in my system leaving my lethargic in the afternoon. I have traditionally done the 30x30x30 system which has suited me as well. As long as I keep my carbs lowish and low glycemic I heal well and grow strong.

Eat
Rest
Split your workouts

Grow stronger and enjoy

(throw in some other routines too.. pistol squat, russian pushups, burpees and other ploymetric style workouts)

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009...kick-your-ass/
http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building...ght-exercises/

Oh ya, TRX rocks. Truly kickass stuff. I love suspended workouts.

I do try to workout often, but I travel frequently so sometimes bodyweight exercises are all I have. Gets difficult for motivation since I truly love to move heavy things. Hopefully some of those sites help you out.

Oh.. one thing I love about bodyweight exercises are the freedom.. go play on a playground.. screw pullups, just climb arond like a monkey, don't try to touch the ground. Make challenges for yourself like when you were a kid. Betcha its still a workout ..
Boy howdy, I wish I could do that!~ XD I live in San Bernardino City, California, U.S.A., almost right next to the bridge that goes over the freeway!~ XD I would LOVE to go some where in the wilderness and just climb everything go WILD-> I'm ALWAYS saying natural movement is the greatest workout!~

As it stands: I'm in the Navy BUT I'm in the DEP meaning I have yet to start basic training and it will be months before I start and I don't get paid until I START basic training 4 months from now in February.~

No money=no gas=no car.~ Plus my parents don't want me doing anything too "dangerous" because if I get injured that could stop me from going to basic and maybe even discharged ("fired").~

There are no playgrounds near my house just lots of concrete, bricks, road, and a grass and trees park/library (no playground) about 5 minutes drive from my house, but no money=no gas=no car.~

I DO however live on almost an acre of land, small house but HUGE backyard it's like a grass-field in the spring with 1 tree in the middle of it, 1 tree next to the storage shed, and 1 tree next to the neighbors fence. I wouldn't be so sure about the stability of any of these trees though, they look more like the "undead" kind that is they look like their skin is brittle and might come-off but their cores seems to be strong as it took a long time for my dad to trim the 1 near our neighbors.~

I have an 'old-fashioned' 2-metal poles in the ground clothes-line with the line taken down.~ I've been using this for my chin-ups and pull-ups.~ I work with what I have, in the future I'll be all about natural movement but for now I use what I got.~ I still manage to come up with A LOT of creative new exercises using only my own body weight!~ ^_^

I hear so many kinds of advice, tear your muscles they'll heal stronger!~ Rest, let your muscles heal!~ I'm not the kind of guy to separate work-outs like that.~ Maybe I should just take it easy on the arms for awhile or maybe not do any exercise for a week and see what happens (that will be tough mentally)?~ XD

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 09-14-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
the "the burn" becoming "the pleasure"...

The burn is caused by lactic acid building up in your muscles.

The pleasure is your body's natural opiates, endorphins, being released in response to the pain of the workout. This is also known as a "runner's high." It generally occurs 20 minutes into a workout. This is why exercise can become addicting. Our body starts to crave that high.

Also, it's a large part of the reason some people are into spankings and floggings and other painful practices in the BDSM world. The pain of the impact changes to pleasure as endorphins are released.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 09-14-2013, 07:07 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
The burn is caused by lactic acid building up in your muscles.

The pleasure is your body's natural opiates, endorphins, being released in response to the pain of the workout. This is also known as a "runner's high." It generally occurs 20 minutes into a workout. This is why exercise can become addicting. Our body starts to crave that high.

Also, it's a large part of the reason some people are into spankings and floggings and other painful practices in the BDSM world. The pain of the impact changes to pleasure as endorphins are released.
Thank you for explaining more about this subject!~ I wanted to know more about what exactly happens during this.~

I love science!~ ^_^
Old 09-14-2013, 07:13 PM

Ariakas I just realized I never answered your question, well here is my answer: I've only done pull-ups and chin-ups about 2 weeks ago, but I have been physically training every-single-day for 6-7 months now.~

Until recently I have only been doing push-ups and sit-ups, now I am expanding my workout types.~

But I am going to rest for awhile longer, it might drive me mad not doing any thing, but my body is telling me I need the rest!~ XD ^_^
Old 09-24-2013, 03:35 AM

Update: Rested for 1 week, can do 1 pull-up and 1 chin-up with a running start for both.~ I guess that's progress, I have no idea what's going on, but I guess I'll just keep working out and becoming stronger!~ ^_^

Still don't know why I can't do the amount I did only a few weeks ago, oh well.~

Feeling the pain from trying out new more effort exercises, I LOVE IT!~ ^_^

I GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!~ XD

Well actually all over my hands and feet!~ ;p It's been a great 3 days!~ ^_^

My body is starting to become stronger and sculpt itself, eating all the fat around my muscles leaving mostly just the shape of the muscles showing through the skin.~ ^_^

My goal is to be every bit as strong and dexterous with my whole body as every Assassin in the Assassin's Creed series video games to go where ever any where I please with little to no effort!~ ^_^

ColorsWolf

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 09-24-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:19 PM

Squats:
'cause nothing else hurts so good.

Truthfully if I go too long without hitting the weights, my body starts to give me little cramps that feel like withdrawal cravings, couple of quick sets with the free weights sets me right again.

Also as an interesting side note, I don't seem to get the lactic acid dumps after workouts to a significant degree, not anymore anyway. I get the muscle soreness from my lifts, but not the extended "everything-fucking-hurts-FOREVER" agony.

Tags
burn, exercise, pain, pleasure, workout