Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 09-07-2013, 10:42 AM

You must be excited about getting to travel.

I think you will have more experience of different cultures than you think. The US is a massive country with very different cultures within it.

I live in Scotland - a tiny country and it has massive differences in culture in it. Glasgow and Edinburgh are a 45 minute train ride apart and could not be more different places to be. The Western Isles in Scotland have their own cultural norms as well.

There are different norms as well depending on age, social class etc etc etc.

And then within each group are people who don't fit in with the norms.

If I were you, I would get to know people as individuals. Find out about them and their attitudes toward life, love, sex and friendship and see if they match up to your own.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitePossibility View Post
You must be excited about getting to travel.

I think you will have more experience of different cultures than you think. The US is a massive country with very different cultures within it.

I live in Scotland - a tiny country and it has massive differences in culture in it. Glasgow and Edinburgh are a 45 minute train ride apart and could not be more different places to be. The Western Isles in Scotland have their own cultural norms as well.

There are different norms as well depending on age, social class etc etc etc.

And then within each group are people who don't fit in with the norms.

If I were you, I would get to know people as individuals. Find out about them and their attitudes toward life, love, sex and friendship and see if they match up to your own.
You're absolutely right, I'm more of person who sees people as individuals, but I guess ignorance and stereotyping can sneak up on any one!~
Thank you!~

I very much liked your information on the Scottish people, perhaps instead of having this thread as about people outside the U.S.A. in general it would be nice if we could use this thread to learn more about all kinds of people from every where!~

If any one has any experiences or knowledge they could teach us about any one from any culture or any experiences or any thing they've learned, that would be great!~

Not to use this information as to learn about ALL people of one country or another, but just to learn maybe a little bit maybe some thing about some culture or some specific people like Bob or Joe.~ We could all, but especially I, could benefit from any knowledge any one has to share!~ Learning is so much fun after all, well at least for me it is!~ ^_^
Old 09-08-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
. . . it would be nice if we could use this thread to learn more about all kinds of people from every where!~

If any one has any experiences or knowledge they could teach us about any one from any culture or any experiences or any thing they've learned, that would be great!
If you want to start a thread like that, then it would probably be better off in the Fireplace forum, since that would not be poly-related.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 09-08-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
If you want to start a thread like that, then it would probably be better off in the Fireplace forum, since that would not be poly-related.
Actually this is sort of poly related as it is one of the many subjects that could very well be apart of either an individual's way of life or actually deeply rooted in a culture itself: such as Harems.~

Although from my understanding, the subject of Harems can get very complicated and confusing at least for me.~ All I truly know is that it involves more than 1 woman and usually 1 man.~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 09-08-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:

Although from my understanding, the subject of Harems can get very complicated and confusing at least for me.~ All I truly know is that it involves more than 1 woman and usually 1 man.~
And it is still not Polyamory and therefore, as already stated, doesn't belong in this section.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natja View Post
And it is still not Polyamory and therefore, as already stated, doesn't belong in this section.
It actually depends on the kind of relationships they have set-up, it could be by choice or not be by choice, I guess you're right if it is NOT be choice then it is not polyamory as it is more like slavery.~

But some cultures embrace such concepts even if they ARE by choice, such as 10 women falling in love with the same man and the man can not choose, it is possible.~

But I suppose Harems would be too complicated as a subject. There are plenty of kinds of polyamory in different cultures when it's done by choice, so I stand by what I said, this thread does still have some connection to polyamory.~

But the subjects discussed here would probably be too broad for most people to pick through to find some thing about ployamory. Since polyamory is not the main subject of this thread any more, I will create another thread re-made to be about learning about different people and cultures.~

Toodles!~ ^_^

ColorsWolf

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 09-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
It actually depends on the kind of relationships they have set-up, it could be by choice
Than that would not be a harem, which is, by definition a place of restriction, from the Arabic word connected to 'haram' which means forbidden. As in this property is forbidden to other men.

Since Muslim Polygyny, from which Harems derive are strictly religiously mandated, it isn't possible for it to be polyamorous even if the women choose to live that way.

In other words...again...this is the wrong section.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natja View Post
Than that would not be a harem, which is, by definition a place of restriction, from the Arabic word connected to 'haram' which means forbidden. As in this property is forbidden to other men.

Since Muslim Polygyny, from which Harems derive are strictly religiously mandated, it isn't possible for it to be polyamorous even if the women choose to live that way.

In other words...again...this is the wrong section.
Great point!~ ^_^ Thanks for helping me learn some more!~ I did not know that!~

Although I still think polyamory could be found in many cultures although probably with a different name or no name at all as the concept of loving more than 1 person is nothing new really, I am still creating a separate thread for the reasons I listed above.~ ^_^
Old 09-09-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Great point!~ ^_^ Thanks for helping me learn some more!~ I did not know that!~

Although I still think polyamory could be found in many cultures although probably with a different name or no name at all as the concept of loving more than 1 person is nothing new really, I am still creating a separate thread for the reasons I listed above.~ ^_^
I have argued a similar argument to one your are positioning yourself around. The problem is, polyarmory is at times connected to a lot of relationship structuring and relationship ethics around the name. When in reality it just means love more than one.

Polygamy while not always ethical can be polyamorous.
Even a harem could be, if there is more than one person loved.

Ethics are an interesting line. Quite a bit of it is based on history and location. So your premise I believe is correct, although some of your other phrasing makes it difficult to agree with you.

*shrugs*... its kind of like debating religion with someone of faith.. its just sometimes not worth it.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
I have argued a similar argument to one your are positioning yourself around. The problem is, polyarmory is at times connected to a lot of relationship structuring and relationship ethics around the name. When in reality it just means love more than one.

Polygamy while not always ethical can be polyamorous.
Even a harem could be, if there is more than one person loved.

Ethics are an interesting line. Quite a bit of it is based on history and location. So your premise I believe is correct, although some of your other phrasing makes it difficult to agree with you.

*shrugs*... its kind of like debating religion with someone of faith.. its just sometimes not worth it.
My general point is what you just said: polyamory is just loving more than 1 person.~

I'm glad you agree with me!~ ^_^

Your input was very much appreciated!~

Tags
foreign, jealousy, monogamy, travel