Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I can't tell if you are being obtuse or if you really don't make a distinction between different humans you encounter.

Your relationship with your sister is the same relationship as with your father? You treat them exactly the same in every way even though they are individuals and (most likely) very different people? Even though you likely have had vastly different life experiences with each of them?
Well actually if you look a little bit up on the quote you just made of one of my posts in this same post of your's, you would see that my mother, father, and sister are different people and I treat them accordingly.~ Meaning each has their own personalities and dislikes, etc. and how I treat them goes along with those things.~

As a "relationship" I would consider my "relationships" with my mother, father, and my sister to be the same because I do not hide one thing from 1 while telling it to the other, nor do I think of them in a way that how I relate to them is different.~ I relate to my mother as much as my father, although they are different sexes with different experiences, I can relate to them both.~ Maybe it's a Latino culture thing, but if we think you are 'family' then we treat you like family and we welcome you and we love as if you were our own brother or sister.~ ^_^ And I would not hide anything from you or treat you differently if I considered you my family, unless you had certain preferences about some things you would rather I not talk about or ask of you, in which case I would respect your wishes.~

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 09-05-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Maybe it's a Latino culture thing
It isn't - it's you.

Gotta love the world wide internets!!
Old 09-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
I will only get involved with girls who I think are clever and attractive, and who think my penis tastes like a vanilla milkshake.
So chicks who think your penis tastes more like strawberry milkshake are right out?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
So chicks who think your penis tastes more like strawberry milkshake are right out?
Gotta have standards, is all I'm sayin'
Old 09-05-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
It isn't - it's you.

Gotta love the world wide internets!!
Thank you!~ ^_^
Old 09-05-2013, 07:39 PM

I think it's a communication style/terminology/wording conflict honestly.

I get the "treating anyone as family cause we decided that they are family" concept.

But the way you are wording things, is off-putting.

With all due respect, may I inquire your age?

My oldest child is from a Puerta Rican family on her dad's side (grandparents born and raised there).
They are very inclusive in ways much like you describe.
But also distinguish romance differently than you are wording it.

My impression is that you mean that you wouldn't be ok with a relationship style where someone was against the *possibility* and *option* of a romance for some *superficial* reason
& that you prefer to date people who are not heterosexual, but open to sex and romance with any gender.

Is that correct?
Old 09-05-2013, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
I think it's a communication style/terminology/wording conflict honestly.

I get the "treating anyone as family cause we decided that they are family" concept.

But the way you are wording things, is off-putting.

With all due respect, may I inquire your age?

My oldest child is from a Puerta Rican family on her dad's side (grandparents born and raised there).
They are very inclusive in ways much like you describe.
But also distinguish romance differently than you are wording it.

My impression is that you mean that you wouldn't be ok with a relationship style where someone was against the *possibility* and *option* of a romance for some *superficial* reason
& that you prefer to date people who are not heterosexual, but open to sex and romance with any gender.

Is that correct?
You pretty much hit the nail on the head: meaning yes you are correct, although I could fall in love with anyone: love just happens sometimes and it's not like I planned it when it does.~ ^_^

I'll work with what I have, but I just hope I fall in love with someone who is very open-minded!~

Also, my full age and birth date on displayed for all to see on my profile: I'm 23 by the way!~ ^_^

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 09-05-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:41 PM

You are about a year older than my daughter.
Maybe that is part of why your post clicked a trigger for me-in addition to the latino reference.

Anyway-glad I was able to figure it out.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:59 AM

Default wouitav Then

This is just my opinion, and how it works at our house. Either spouse may have a lover just for themselves, but that lover must be approved by the other spouse. Otherwise, I have to question the love and respect that the couple has for each other. We have said for years, that either of us can go out and find another lover, but before you get to spend time with that lover, it must be approved by the spouse. We have no doubts in our mind that our love for each other will continue no matter who is brought home. Our concern is that the person being brought into the relationship thinks they might be able to steal the person away. While we have no fear of it, we do not allow that kind of thinking. We will share our love with others, but do not allow anyone else to think they can steal the love away.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:25 AM
Banned

I think other conversations/discussions we have had recently basically boil down to this issue: whilst people aren't explicitly saying that unless you "love" me, you cannot "love" my spouse, it does seem as if they are saying unless you "love" me, a relationship with my spouse will be near impossible because dating my spouse effectively means dating my family and if you don't want to be that involved with us (opposed to you desiring involvement with the spouse only), then you won't be able to date. Ie, to have a chance at a healthy, happy relationship with someone's husband, I have to feel affection for his wife, kids, in laws too and want to spend time with them.