Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 08-31-2013, 03:33 PM

Default Note of appreciation

I'm really enjoying your blog. Yeah, as a single secondary, it has lots of issues in it that I can identify with, yadda, yadda. But I also love your writing style.

Thanks for sharing your life stories and humor!
Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 AM

Thanks, PG! I appreciate it!

Totally non-Poly-related update:
I have cut the Cable TV cord today, vacillated on whether or not to move to Dish, but decided that it really wasn't going to save me any money, and just bit the bullet. I found the sweet spot for my HD antenna, and can pick up all the over-the-air Boston channels (woo hoo!). Between that, Hulu, Netflix, and a cable between the TV and the laptop, I think we'll have all the TV we want (except maybe some of the Cartoon Network stuff for the kids).

Hell, if it weren't for the kids, I would have done this a loooooong time ago.

The downside: keeping Comcast's internet service and ditching the TV only saves me about $35 a month. If satellite Internet speeds didn't suck so badly, I'd ditch Comcast entirely. First world problems, I suppose...

Oh, and the new wood stove looks great - stove plus piping cost less than $200 altogether. Expecting that oil bill to go down this winter. Fingers crossed...

Onward and upward!
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 09-05-2013, 03:12 PM

Default I had to... I just HAD to...

I laughed, then I snorted. Then I called my coworkers over, who laughed. Of course, we're all Software Engineers, but still...

You're welcome. Enjoy the earworm that comes with it:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spockrox.jpg (27.6 KB, 22 views)

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Old 09-06-2013, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
I have cut the Cable TV cord today, vacillated on whether or not to move to Dish, but decided that it really wasn't going to save me any money, and just bit the bullet. I found the sweet spot for my HD antenna, and can pick up all the over-the-air Boston channels (woo hoo!). Between that, Hulu, Netflix, and a cable between the TV and the laptop, I think we'll have all the TV we want (except maybe some of the Cartoon Network stuff for the kids).
I have read a little bit about this - it seems many, many people are tired of the outrageous prices of cable or satellite and are instead installing HD antennae on their TVs. Can you PM me with what kind of antenna you have and where I should try and look to get one? One of the things I had to do after my husband left was let go of my cable service (I was unemployed, maxxxxxed out my credit cards, and almost got evicted). A neighbor of mine gave me the password to his wifi, but I'be been living without TV for over a year. In NYC, you can't get any reception, even the basic channels, without cable. But apparently these HD antennae really work well in the city and more and more people are putting them up. I just don't know if I'd have to put anything on my roof, too.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 09-06-2013, 02:56 AM

Hope you don't mind if I reply here - you never know who's going to be interested, and I figure I don't have to worry too much about threadjacking on my own blog thread.

This is the antenna I bought - basically the economy version of the Leaf. It's not as pretty, but it works pretty well. The inline amplifier is a nice thing to have, although you don't have to use it if reception is good enough.

I didn't put anything else up in the house - I just have the antenna hanging on a wall (next to a window, near the corner of the house, if that matters), with a looooong coax cable connecting it to the antenna in of the TV. If you get anything extra, get some long lengths of coax and a connector, so you're not tethered to a spot 6' from the TV.

And good luck! I'm impressed with the channels I get, and how nice they look.

Oh, and I'm looking into getting a Chromecast too - Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, and streaming from your computer thru Google Chrome (as long as your neighbor's wifi will support it ). Up yours, Comcast! If RCN (or something similar) creeps a bit further north, I'll be all over that like white on rice.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouAreHere View Post
Hope you don't mind if I reply here - you never know who's going to be interested, and I figure I don't have to worry too much about threadjacking on my own blog thread.

This is the antenna I bought - basically the economy version of the Leaf. It's not as pretty, but it works pretty well. The inline amplifier is a nice thing to have, although you don't have to use it if reception is good enough.

I didn't put anything else up in the house - I just have the antenna hanging on a wall (next to a window, near the corner of the house, if that matters), with a looooong coax cable connecting it to the antenna in of the TV. If you get anything extra, get some long lengths of coax and a connector, so you're not tethered to a spot 6' from the TV.

And good luck! I'm impressed with the channels I get, and how nice they look.

Oh, and I'm looking into getting a Chromecast too - Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, and streaming from your computer thru Google Chrome (as long as your neighbor's wifi will support it ). Up yours, Comcast! If RCN (or something similar) creeps a bit further north, I'll be all over that like white on rice.
We got a chromecast and ended up sending it back. It works well, but the computer you control it from has to have wifi also, not just the chromecast device itself, which meant that my husband couldn't use it from his main computer, since we don't have wifi cards in our desktops. Since that was one of the things he really wanted to do, because it's easier to use Netflix and Hulu from a computer (and he didn't want to have to borrow our son's laptop constantly), he sent it back. But it did work really well the few times we used it. Just wanted to warn you of that one drawback of the device.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:57 PM

Default Sleepover Mulligan

So, to recap, this is where I was a week and a half ago or so:
Quote:
I'm still suggesting that the next powwow happen on a day that isn't ours, and I'll spend time down there again. (...) I just need to ask that we even things up a bit now that I've realized I was on the hairy edge of feeling that pinch for a long time.

So I asked. We'll see what comes of it. I've made it clear that because it's not "my" night, there are no expectations of alone time or anything of that sort. I'll be happy to have the "extra" time with him. (...) They're concerned that I'll have a hard time sleeping alone in that bedroom. I'm not anxious about that at all. (...) I'll bring my kindle if I need something to do with myself.
I brought my Kindle and didn't need it.

We had our powwow, got a lot of the negativity over the past couple of weeks talked about - my sleepover meltdown, P's difficulty in figuring out how to spend time with me and my kids, P's difficulty in communicating with M2, M1's (friendly) breakup with M2 and her hubby, yadda yadda. That went well. We hung out for a while, smoked some hookah, drank some port, and then I went to bed. Got tucked in by P, he went to bed with M1, and then at the crack of dark, when I needed to get ready to leave for work, he came in to wake me up.

It all went swimmingly, I was in a good mood for having had the extra time with him, and we're all looking forward to that camping trip in a couple weeks. It's nice to be able to get through the emotional BS to the point where we can try to work out a solution (or a mitigation) and have it actually WORK.

Tonight, I hook the laptop up to the TV with the cables that came in the mail, while P works on his tractor and has a beer or two. Looking forward to seeing Hulu Plus's "web only" content up on the big screen.

And summer has decided to show us her last hurrah (or one of her last hurrahs anyway). After getting the wood stove operational a few days ago (woo hoo), it is now in the 90s. I fully expect snow in two weeks. This *is* New England, after all.

Later, gators!
(And thanks for the wifi tip, Hannahfluke - I appreciate the info!)

Edit: Well, crap. Apparently, the Mini-DVI to HDMI adapter, plugged into an HDMI cable, plugged into the TV is fraught with problems (according to Apple's discussion boards). Some issue with the adapters. I either get an MDP to HDMI cable (and skip the adapter) or wait for the ChromeCast. Argh. Grr. And all that.

Last edited by YouAreHere; 09-12-2013 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Updated with the cable adapter failure. Boo.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:37 PM

Thinking that my sister is going to wind up dead sooner rather than later, and that there is nothing my family can do about it. Talk about frustrating and helpless.

A couple days ago, I got a series of texts from her BF (who, surprise surprise, is dealing meth) that she had gone on a meth bender, after which, she ended up holed up in a bathroom, screaming about the people with guns who were after her. She was taken to the hospital and admitted to the ICU, which surprised me, as they said her vitals were good (and she was discharged the next day).

P explained that when his ex had threatened suicide, she had been admitted to the ICU on suicide watch. We're speculating that's what happened here.

I live halfway across the country from her (she's in OK, I'm in NH) and can physically do nothing. Any money that gets sent to her vaporizes into a black hole, and she winds up homeless, jobless, and high over and over again. She keeps asking to come back home and live with my mother (who is dealing with breast cancer and chemo), or now my other sister in NC.

And I want to scream "NOOOOOOO, DON'T LET HER DO IT!" Especially after reading up on the long-term effects of meth. She needs professional help.

So, I have names and numbers of drug treatment facilities near her location and I plan to keep feeding those to her. I don't know what else to do at this point.

Nothing like watching someone in your family killing themselves with drugs, and feeling like you have to remain at arms length to protect yourself and your loved ones from its effects.

Big weekend is coming up with P & M1 - camping, Highland Games, all that. Not feeling the "yay" right now to post about it, but hopefully it'll be a nice distraction. Fingers crossed.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:52 PM

Ugh. Good luck That sounds absolutely awful.
Stakes - very intimate friend
Ironically named Farmgirl - local interest
Old 09-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Thanks, evad... she's now back on FB, posting like nothing happened. The roller coaster ride begins again. Sigh.

So...
Camping weekend starts today - looking forward to hitting the Highland Games, seeing a friend of mine whose husband works the event every year, and to having a nice time camping. Not starting off as well as I'd like, though.

Took the day off and, after our last powwow, M1 and I had talked about her coming up some time in the morning, so we could hit some shops, get some lunch on the road, then head up. So, when she asked P what time, I said, "Whenever," thinking whenever THIS MORNING.

Lesson learned. I shall come up with an exact time before we get together next.

It's almost 1pm, and she left around 1/2 hour ago. The drive up to my house is about 1.5 - 2 hours, then it's another 1.5 hours after that, not including the time to load up the car. I don't think we'll be doing much antiquing on the way if we want to get the campsite set up before P gets there. And then shopping for food for the weekend.

Considering work is extremely busy and I've been fielding emails all morning (finally receiving an official counter-offer for someone we've been trying to retain, AND wrap up a software release that has to be done, oh, MONDAY), I'm especially annoyed that I took the entire day off. Working a half-day would have gone a LONG way to having things go a bit more smoothly at work.

Sigh.

It's easy to gripe about the "what if" but honestly, if I'd left this morning, work would still be the same, and I'd still have gotten through it. I probably wouldn't have been able to keep up on my emails as easily, either, so it's probably not a bad thing that I'm still sitting at home. I have to turn the TV off, though, before I throw the remote through it. There's only so many "BUT HE'S THE BABY DADDY!!!" shows I can flip through before turning homicidal.

Anyway, I'm trying to not start the trip in a crabby mood (I already vented to P, when he expressed surprise about what time she finally left), so I figured I'd vent and move on. I'm aggravated, but I now know what to do next time. She's pretty good at keeping appointments when there's an actual time attached.

Time to look forward to men in kilts throwing heavy objects, food, music, and fun. And kilts. Did I say kilts? Grrowr.

Last edited by YouAreHere; 09-20-2013 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Daytime TV make YouAreHere a very cuckoo girl... GAH! BLBLBLBLBLBLBLBL...!

Tags
divorce, family, metamour, mono/poiy, vee