Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-21-2013, 06:02 AM

Boringguy,

I was simply asking a question as to see if other people had ever had the same experience. I have been sick as a dog all day yet they needed me to watch her while they needed to talk so I said ok. It was just a question lighten up dude
L
Old 06-21-2013, 11:22 AM

I treat my partners children as if they are my own and my partner can do the same. We have seven kids all together and run a tight ship. We talk about what we want for the children and how to meet everyone's needs.

All you can do is talk with your partners about what they want from you when you watch their kids. Are you a partner in parenting or just a babysitter? Kids can put a lot of strain on relationships. It's important to communicate.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 PM

Default Children & polyamory

My husband and I are newbies & currently not in any form of a poly relationship yet. We've been doing our research, discussing his jealousy & envy issues, falling in love again but realizing we both can love another just as passionately.

We know at some point we will most likely want to co-habitate with a partner. Aside from coming out to our outside families (an area still to be researched) we are unsure of how to tell our children (15F, 7M & 2F). The oldest has watched Big Love & was quite facsinated. She's my concern since the younger two are not set in teenage opinions of right & wrong.

If any of you have children (whether grown up or not) how did you bring your choice to be polyamorous into a discussion with them & how did the transition of having a third afult in the home go, was it peachy keen or a battlefield?

Last edited by nycindie; 08-07-2013 at 10:54 PM. Reason: moved
Old 08-09-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Why tell them?

Growing up, I always understood my mother and father loved each other and only each other (so far as monogamy went). Why treat poly as something different? Why not just say, hey, kids, these are our friends, they'll watch you when Mommy or Daddy can't (assuming your kids are little), they'll come with us to the park, to family gatherings? As the kids grow older, they'll understand what those "friends" are, and if they don't, and they care, they'll ask questions, which should be easy enough to answer.

If they're older, well, you can just take them aside and explain the structure to them, simply, as in, Teresa is part of our family, we love her very much, etc. etc.

They won't care about your sex lives, just understanding the role they'll play in their lives (well, maybe they will care about the sex part too, but in that case, well, no advice
Old 08-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Default from redditt.com Daughter of polyamorous parents

I found this on redditt http://www.reddit.com/r/polyamory/co...s_parents_ama/

where the daughter is 16, brother is 11 and younger sister is 9 (same structure as my children but ages close not the same). she says she is glad they opened up to her and her siblings rather than hiding the truth from them.

also the young girl herself seems to have a great head on her shoulders and is like my daughter, has not had her own first relationship.

this makes me think dh and i need to at least start the discussion sooner than later.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerchild View Post
They won't care about your sex lives, just understanding the role they'll play in their lives (well, maybe they will care about the sex part too, but in that case, well, no advice
Flowerchild I have to completely agree.

Our quad has spoken about this a lot lately.

For my wife and I, we mostly maintain a conservative family. Meaning any PDA is rather minor (kiss here, a hug there). My teenage son usually scoffs at the sight of it and looks away with "gross" comment or similar. :-) There are no PDA with our secondaries around our children. We successfully separate family time with adult time. And always family time comes first.

I think possibly the notion of coming out to children about a Poly life is almost an admission that a Poly lifestyle is something abnormal. My kid doesn't want to know about the details of our sexual relationships. I still don't want to know what my parents are up to either. So in our opinion, telling them gives the adults the licence to behave however they wish around the kids. We all deemed this would not be ok because it would be far too confusing.

What we have done is made it normal for primaries and secondaries to hang out together exclusively around the kids. For example my wife and her BF, going for a walk with the kids, or they may decided to watch a movie, whatever. It has worked wonders...

Now coming out to adults (ie. family and friends)... that a different story. We struggle with this tremendously. The potential damage to our relationships and careers are far too great to attempt this. It's truly sad, but we believe that society in general is simply not ready for it. Living a secret life that is so wonderful is very difficult at times.

~S
Old 08-29-2013, 07:41 PM

Smile Heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashking View Post
I think possibly the notion of coming out to children about a Poly life is almost an admission that a Poly lifestyle is something abnormal.
~S
Hehe, yeah, if your kids are teenagers, they totally know what's going No need to explain.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 PM

Cool We told our 15 year old last night

So DH is big time NRE with MG (his new girlfriend) as they are planning trips for this upcoming summer and having her over to our house on occasion. I pretty much knew CT (our oldest daughter almost 16) was aware of something was up with us. A year ago she found out we were "open" for nsa/fwb but nothing romantic.

We had her come into our room, explained we are still very much in love with each other and what we're about to tell her might upset her. I explained what polyamory means. She was fine like I thought. She told her dad "Well I knew something was up because both of you are on dating websites". Apparently DH and I are on our cells too much.

We will wait on the 8 year old boy. Already know it's got some opinions on commitment to one right now and cannot fathom liking more than two people (although I believe he's perplexed by this because he likes his best friend a lot (girl) but he also gets crushes on other girls).
Old 11-28-2013, 02:55 PM

I don't have any children yet. Since I am in comitted relationships, it would be very strange not to tell them, when they come! I believ polyamory with children can be done. However, one should make an effort to make it easy on the child. I would never ask my children to lie. I hope that if I give my children two fathers, they will be proud of both, and probly have the same joys and issues with their dads as everyone else has got. The sexual relationships is between the adults, as in any family. The friendly stuff and the organisational stuff would also include the kids. We would not date outside the family, so there would be nothing to come out with or explain. They would know, if they grew up with it and thought it normal with dad, mum and dad. I love my men and think the both of them would make great fathers. They have their faults, as do everyone else, as do I, but hopefully we would learn to do it well enough and our kids would be fine.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:42 PM

I'm 29, no kids yet, but hoping to adopt in the next couple of years. Being a father is a major life goal of mine. The topic of kids and poly came up in conversation, and i had a nosey around to see how other poly families raise their kids.

It's actually very heartening to see so many different opinions. Like everything else with kids, it seems nothing is clear cut, and every parent has a different approach.

Thank you, everyone who's shared your story. I just hope when the time comes i can be as successful as so many of you have been, and raise kids who're happy in their family, whatever shape it takes

Tags
acceptance, child protection, children, co-habitate, coming out, definitions, explaining poly, families, family, kids, parenting, primary, secondary, social services, telling, triad