Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 08-18-2013, 04:14 PM

Decent show.. however the blonde woman (I would almost say child).. way to much drama. Would have dropped her like a heavy anchor.. (I think she was in the triad).. actually thinking back the passive agressive douche bag was a crap example of good relationshipability (not a word I know).. from an involvement perspective.. he was a shining example of many bad relationship maneuvers.. I would swing with the triad, but I wouldn't date them.. haha.. I kept hoping the brunette would say fuck it and dump both of them and move onto a more adult relationship. She seemed the most normal to me, from the tiny snapshot the TV show allowed us anyways.

I liked the quad/expansive group. Excluding how the show showed more abotu the sex than the loving.. it made for good TV which is what matters. I appreciated their attempt even if it doesn't represent 100% of poly. To give them credit, it does represent a subsection as much as I know some poly people didn't like that side highlighted..

I would watch season 2.. heck I may even send the show to my mom, to give a working example of 2 small aspects of poly.. not the popular opinion I realize..
Old 08-19-2013, 12:20 PM
Spaminator

Default season 1 triad

Apparently the original Triad blew up, something about the girls cheating.......
Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 PM

You mean they might have found the OPP poly-fi ideal a bit restrictive? Who woulda thunk it?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyq4 View Post
Apparently the original Triad blew up, something about the girls cheating.......
Not surprised in the least.. they had crappy relationship written all over them.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyourendo View Post
There's already a thread about it but my opinion is it sucks. Hopefully not too many people watch it and assume that is what poly is about. I was really excited about the show too. Perhaps TLC will do a real poly show?
Would you really trust the network responsible for Honey Booboo to air a "real poly show", which I assume means one that presented healthy polyamorous relationships in an accurate manner with a respectful tone? I wouldn't. Probably a moot point though - I bet the execs at TLC would say they have a poly show already since they air Sister Wives.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:41 PM

Default TLC stands for... what, exactly?

While I absolutely LOATHE what TLC has become ("The Learning Channel," it ain't), I think that maybe the fact that it's part of standard cable might push it more away from "hey, let's look at the bed-hopping" and more into the other dynamics. I've only seen Sister Wives a handful of times, mainly because my ex was fascinated by it, but I found that it certainly portrayed the family interactions quite a bit, and in one of the episodes I watched, scheduling was definitely a problem (one wife was a space cadet and really upset the others by showing up late for a graduation, IIRC). Sounds like "real-world Poly" problems to me, and I may be more inclined (emphasis on MAY) to point people to THAT show as a better representative of what kind of relationship I'm in.
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 08-19-2013, 03:16 PM

Default Still holding judgement.

In a Poly fidel Triad for 9 months. Still holding on judgement on the show. I was a little disappointed about the center being on sex but then again, it is a big part of our relationship. I very quickly lost interest about the Quad.

There were, however, some similarities between our Triad and the Triad on the show, my wife sometimes feels left out. E. (Our girlfriend) and I are always having to draw her back in and I always have to make an effort to reassure her. The 2 in the shower while his wife stayed in bed was very familiar to us. It made me and E stop and think. We both love my wife deeply and want her to be as happy as we are. That alone made watching the show worth it. It doesn't hurt (for me) that both of the women in the new Triad are beautiful.

I hope they also talk about the difficulties that come along with this kind of dynamic.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:56 PM

I've tried looking to see what happened to the original triad to absolutely no avail. Both of the girls have web sites but I couldn't find any info on them about the show and there isn't any other info (at least that I could find) on the net that said why they had left. I couldn't even find out if they are still together or not. We actually watched the show because of them (they defined 'a hot mess' to us).

As for the 'Pod' (hate that name), they are the group that I thought for sure would blow up. If you ask me, there are two poly people and two swingers in that group. Kamala (a self described poly activist) has relationships outside of the pod that she doesn't want to share with the others...'many loves' is only allowed when she doesn't have to share with her other loves? Also Tahl lies to his wife and the other members of the pod so he can get what he wants...where's the love there? And the three of them pressure Jen into doing what they want instead of helping her with her insecurities and/or boundaries. That doesn't seem very loving at all.

While not 'poly' related, on Saturday Sept 7, Discovery Health and Fitness is starting a new show: Secret Sex Lives: Swingers. Don't really know anything about it (other than being on cable there will be no nudity) so it will be interesting to see what it will be about and how they portray that lifestyle.