Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2013, 07:35 AM

Default Coworkers and online dating

I am curious how people handle online dating. I use OkCupid and recently noticed a coworker also on the site. Since this isn't about a relationship, per se, I went with general discussions.

Some background as to why I am curious.. I am mostly out as poly. Friends know. The important family knows (parents, siblings). HOWEVER, I have never found it necessary to "come out" at work. I try not to talk about my personal life too much, and I just generally don't want to deal with the drama. Because I am fairly certain there would be drama.

I mostly work with about 6 other women. I see some of them multiple days a week, others only a few times a month. Most of them are single or only casually dating. They tend to have very traditional views, and most of them have given me odd looks at various times when I have made comments about open relationships being preferable to cheating (because some of them have a history of cheating and would talk about it or cheating will be on the tv/radio show that we're discussing or whatever).

So, I personally have not told them. Don't wanna deal with them looking at me oddly or potentially judging me. I know for a fact a couple of them don't really like me, and I don't want to give them a reason to really try looking for something that they can use to get rid of me. Now that I know at least one of them uses OKC (and since they are mostly all friends and OKC has interesting questions/quizzes I could easily see more following), which I also use regularly, I wonder if that should change.

Is it better to be open about it and be available for questions or is it better to just wait and see if anyone else notices my profile and/or brings it up? Has anyone else dealt with this?

Tags
dating, dating advice, dating dynamics, dating etiquette, dating sites, dating websites, internet dating, kissing frogs, meeting people, netiquette, okcupid, on line dating, online dating, online personals, vee is for me