Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 08-10-2013, 09:38 PM

Default So that's weird

So I have this rather odd thing going on with my body. I have set up an appointment with my gyn.

I'm about 10 days late on my period. But not testing pregnant. And I am ridiculously regular - this is the first period I may miss (month is not over yet). My doctor had my thyroid checked and that was normal so one obvious candidate is out. I have not been unusually stressed.

Something similar happened last month too - I was 5 days late which historically is very late for me - did not test as pregnant and eventually had a light period.

So I'm rather weirded out. This is quite strange for me. I realize that a missed period is not that uncommon for many women but it has never happened to me.

Has anyone gone through something similar? Any ideas?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:21 PM

I'm also ridiculously regular.
Last year, I missed one period (completely).
I freaked out because I thought I was entering menopause.
Had about 12 regular, normal periods since then.. so it just seems to have been a weird thing my body did for no reason.
How old are you? could it be the start of menopause? (hoping this doesn't freak you out)
Old 08-11-2013, 03:10 PM

I'm in my early 40s so very early perimenopause is a possibility. And I'm not freaked out by that possibility. It's more the uncertainty of not knowing why. And I realize I may not get an answer. I hate the 'women's bodies do weird things for no obvious reason' trope but that may be the reality.

Thanks for the observations Cleo! It is helpful to know this has happened to other women.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:51 PM

I started peri-menopause at 42. First symptom was bad headache with some nausea, not quite a migraine, the day before the first day of period. Soon after, my periods got heavier and closer together, one time as little as 19 days, usually 22-27 days instead of 28-32. Fun!

Later, they got further apart and much lighter.

It took 10 more years for everything to finally wind down. So, 42, not unusually early to start!
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
Old 08-15-2013, 12:33 AM

Sounds like perimenopause to me. Mine started in my late 30s. My usually regular, predictable cycles could no longer be counted upon. I would experience half a year of having my period every two months and then suddenly I was getting it every three weeks. My flow was different, and lasted for a shorter time. Everything was wonky for a few years, would normalize (somewhat) back to what I was used to, for another few years,and then get all wonky again. I was perimenopausal for about 11-12 years. Near the end, my period would come every three or four months, until it stopped altogether. After one year of no periods, I was officially in menopause at age 50.

If you're interested in managing perimenopause and menopause naturally, I highly recommend Susun Weed's book, The New Menopausal Years (revised version of her original Menopausal Years).

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 08-20-2013, 04:47 PM

Magdlyn, NYCindie, Cleo,

Thanks so much for sharing your experiences - it's been very reassuring. I suspect I am beginning perimenopause. I have my appointment soon. And looks like it's time for research. I know a bit about perimenopause but need to learn more. Migraines are a possible symptom!? Crap. Not happy about that.

NYC, I will look up that book you mentioned. I would prefer to handle this without artificial hormones - my hormones are wacky enough, thank you very much. Unfortunately women in my family tend to have difficult transitions into menopause. I'm hoping to buck that trend.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
I would prefer to handle this without artificial hormones - my hormones are wacky enough, thank you very much.
My wife and I went through a long healing journey that started with her hormones being completely out of kilter. PM if you'd like to know more - I would be happy to forward some info.

We found that Natural Progesterone Cream was a life-saver. You might want to look into it, it can do no harm at all and is brilliant for dealing with the xeno-estrogen poisoning we are all dealing with (PCBs etc.)

- Tao Te Ching
Old 08-22-2013, 08:47 PM

Default boobs a-titter

I joined and left one of the polyamory groups on Facebook recently. I like chatting with folks about poly and other types of ethical non-monogamy so it seemed like a good idea.

This particular one encourages people to post pictures on certain days of the week. All well and good. I find pictures of people I don't know boring but I can easily scroll past.

And then the group starts getting many, many women posting pictures of cleavage and sometimes more than cleavage. My FB feed is just full of tits.

I like tits. I have some myself and am very fond of them. I like other people's tits too.

But I joined this group to talk with other poly type people. Hear their stories, tell silly jokes, discuss stuff. Not to see tits. I have a smartphone and the intertubes. I can see tits anytime and anywhere I want.

Anyway, all the tits started people talking in the group - there was pro-boob, anti-boob. Back and forth. I agreed with the idea to put the boob shots in a particular thread so that the not so boob fascinated would not see boobs in their feed on a daily basis. This was the solution that the group leader(s) decided upon.

All well and good. Tits confined, so to speak. If it had ended there, I may have stayed in the group.

There were some who felt attacked and belittled for posting boob shots. No one to my knowledge ever posted anything along the lines of 'Those boobs suck' or 'Those boobs are too small, too big.' No one to my knowledge ever directed their comments to particular owner of a particular set of boobs. It was more along the lines, of 'hey, my feed is blowing up with boobs and I really don't want to see that.' It wasn't personal. It wasn't a 'I don't want to see your saggy ass boobs' but rather a 'I don't want to see boobs here.' But some took it that way, as a criticism of their own boobs.

This made me wonder about if some exhibitionists get hurt if someone doesn't want to see what they are showing. I suspect there may have been some of this going on. Some people said not wanting to see boobs was slut shaming. I'm against slut shaming but I also have a clear idea of what that is. Telling a woman never to show her boobs to anyone, to be ashamed of them, to never take pleasure in them, to fear her body, - that's slut shaming. To ask that a feed not be overwhelmed with random tits is not slut shaming. It's asking for some perspective that not everyone everywhere wants to see tits in all corners of the internet. And the solution did not prevent anyone from showing off or appreciating the goods. Tits could still be posted and seen by just clicking on that thread. I also wondered if the folks getting cheesed off by someone not wanting to see boobs who took it personally were looking for validation of their attractiveness. And when the FB posters instead got some people saying 'I wish that was not on my feed' they heard 'You are ugly' instead. How very sad. I will never know for sure, but I wonder.

However, the assumption by some of the 'pro-boob' posters was that the 'anti-boob' folks were actually anti-sex is what decided me on leaving. I am sex positive. I hate how my society (the US) fears, shames and commercializes sex all at the same time. I believe that as long as consent is given and received, there is very little that is off the table for consenting adults. But sex positive does not mean sexual images or sexual content should be everywhere at all times. The constant snarky comments that the 'anti-boobs' were anti-sex and the apparent inability to understand any other viewpoint got to me after a while.

I could have posted this there - I did consider starting a thread about this topic in the group. But I also decided that I just didn't care about that group. It wasn't worth it to me. So I left.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 PM

I'm with you. One of the things with the idea of consent I've seen talked about on FetLife in regards to kink is that you don't force your kink on someone because that is taking away their ability to consent to it.
Merry: Tig's wife/slave
NT: Merry's boyfriend/owner
Elle: NT and Merry girlfriend
Umbra: Elle's Dom
Pet: Umbra's slave/wife, Elle girlfriend
Domo: Pet's submissive
Old 08-22-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post
I started peri-menopause at 42. First symptom was bad headache with some nausea, not quite a migraine, the day before the first day of period. Soon after, my periods got heavier and closer together, one time as little as 19 days, usually 22-27 days instead of 28-32. Fun!

Later, they got further apart and much lighter.

It took 10 more years for everything to finally wind down. So, 42, not unusually early to start!
Glad I wandered in here looking for spammers! Been having the headache/nausea before period and FREAKINGLY heavy periods for a few months. Scaring the hell out of me.