Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeDoor View Post
um, are you speaking to me or people in general? lol. I definitely don't feel that way.
I'm speaking more about myself than TO anyone especially. There is a tendency for whoever started a thread to take the word "you" as being applied to themselves. I am also getting used to it when people think i have some sort of power over how they compose sentences, and i choose to express my ennui in a way that mocks my own use of language as well as that of others.

I hope that clears up any misunderstanding.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:15 PM

I think going to the head coach to "warn" him about your private life will just make a much bigger deal out of it than it needs to be. It's nobody's business who or what you're doing, so why announce it like it is some earth-shattering news they need to be prepared for?

Just let them go and sign up to be coaches and make sure you don't go making out in a dugout with your BIL or something. I mean, people can be close and affectionate with in-laws without rolling around in a pile of leaves. I'm not saying you should hide, but just be appropriate with PDAs. If anyone asks you what's going on, determine who needs to know and who doesn't. For the ones who you feel comfortable telling, figure out a way to say it that won't be off-putting.

There is already a lot of threads here on "coming out" if you do a search (the Search function is your friend!), which surely contain very good ways to word it to people.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me.
~Bryan Ferry

Last edited by nycindie; 08-07-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 PM

Default Completely open?

It sounds, from the responses, that many people on the forum are actively and openly poly. That is, they no more hide it than any monogamous couple, not that EVERYONE knows about their situation.

Is this true?

If so, any thoughts to share on how you got to that point, difficulties, how it works...?

Very interested.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerchild View Post
It sounds, from the responses, that many people on the forum are actively and openly poly.
What would make you say that, after responses from only five different people (and with you being one of them)? There are many more members here than that!

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me.
~Bryan Ferry
Old 08-07-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerchild View Post
It sounds, from the responses, that many people on the forum are actively and openly poly. That is, they no more hide it than any monogamous couple, not that EVERYONE knows about their situation.

Is this true?

If so, any thoughts to share on how you got to that point, difficulties, how it works...?

Very interested.

Also if you are wondering about how people are out or come out you can do a search! I know there's been threads recently where people discussed being out and how far out and with who and all of that. Try search tags like 'open' 'out of the closet' things like that!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 PM

there's a fine line between "completely open" and throwing it in everyones face till they are repulsed by it.

for myself, yes, i have a desire to scream at the top of my lungs "this is me", ... but i step back a bit and think "if someone else did that same thing to say they were gay, or straight, or poly, or mono, ... i'd actually see that as my first impression of them and really not like it"

so i keep quiet, ... the closest friends know, others, if they ask i'll tell, family (the family that i like) knows, everyone else, ... as much as i would want them to know, i'm also just as fine telling them if they ask and otherwise leaving it at that.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:19 AM

To whoever asked.
We are "out completely"
How we got there is we just agreed we werent going to be liars. We told our kids and explained what it meant in terms of their lives.
We treat our partners as part of the family.
We dont change hiw we act with them "because someones watching".
When someone asks questions we answer as clearly as possible.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:06 AM

Without really reading anyone elses reply my response is, it's not anyone's business. If it comes back to you just deal with it head on and tell them it's none of their business.

In my situation, the woman I consider my best friend and have never ever even seen nude, is often accused of sleeping with me. I also am accused of sleeping with her although I haven't. The ones that come and ask me, I tell them that, "Not that it's any of your business, No!"

I guess if I actually was sleeping with her I would probably ask, "...and why would this be any of your business?"

I don't know...I just hate people poking their nose where it doesn't belong.