Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 08-06-2013, 09:38 PM

Default Relationship labels: possessiveness or connectivity

When you think of someone special in your life as "my husband", "my boyfriend", "my wife", "my girlfriend", "my lover", (insert appropriate label) does it elicit feelings of possessiveness, as in "s/he's mine," or connectivity, as in this person is someone of value in my life and I am connected to them in this special way?

If you feel possessiveness due to these labels, do you chose to use other terms that carry less meaning to change your perspective? Such as, "the wo/man that I'm married to" or "the person I'm dating"?

I recently had someone tell me I should ponder this as he felt I was using the term "my husband" possessively in my thinking which made me feel bad and has led to this examination.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 PM

Sometimes-but not always.
In my D/s dynamic "My M" is definitely possessive. Saying it elicits possessive feelings too. As does being called "My Angel".

In my day to day life I don't CALL Maca "My husband" except to speak to others who have no major importance in our lives (like a grocery store clerk). In conversation with most people, I simply call him Maca. Likewise-with GG. I generally refer to him as GG when speaking to people. Only with others-or in conversations on here for clarity do I identify them as "my husband" or "my boyfriend".
When speaking to them personally, I call each by a pet name. THOSE are special. We have pet names for everyone in our family-including the kids and generally those aren't shared either. I have a pet name for each person and each of them has a pet name for each person. But we don't use the same ones. Shrug.

Like my grandson is "Little Pea" to me. But Maca calls him "Peanut" and GG calls him "Spidey".
Old 08-06-2013, 10:38 PM

Part of what we had to get over when we started to open our marriage was that you do not OWN anyone, you do not BELONG to anyone. It's been romanticized for a long time to 'belong' to someone or to belong somewhere. So we did start changing how we refer to each other. Hubby refers to me as Wife. Capital W as we are legally married and there are plenty of poly people that call more than one partner husband or wife. I use DH for darling hubby or just say Hubby. Though to be honest, I mostly say hon out loud. I refer to both hubby and boyfriend as hubby.

I know some people don't like the term boyfriend and I admit it sometimes comes off seeming juvenile but boyfriend likes the terms boyfriend and girlfriend because right now we are long distance and while that means nothing to emotions it means logistically things are different than other relationships.

Thinking about it, I don't really say MY kids either. I say the kids, or by names or whatever nicknames I use when I am not in a place (real or internet) where I want private information out on them. So I refer to them as people, not property.

Side note: This does not count when they are in trouble. Then they 'belong' to hubby, or if he catches them first, they 'belong' to me. As in "She so gets that from you!" or "Oh that one is all you!"
Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia View Post
When you think of someone special in your life as "my husband", "my boyfriend", "my wife", "my girlfriend", "my lover", (insert appropriate label) does it elicit feelings of possessiveness, as in "s/he's mine," or connectivity, as in this person is someone of value in my life and I am connected to them in this special way?
Connectivity.

Quote:
I recently had someone tell me I should ponder this as he felt I was using the term "my husband" possessively in my thinking which made me feel bad and has led to this examination.
Is he inside your head and heart?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:25 PM

For me it has nothing to do with possessiveness. So I do use those types of terms.. We all do.. Its a descriptive label not a prescriptive one
Old 08-06-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
I am glad to see that you are taking the time to consider your words and the possible impact they have on your life and surroundings. If we don't take a moment to think about these things then we are really just functioning off of our instinct which is primarily fueled by the traditions or our environment.

I find that most of the time the people around me aren't stopping to consider what *they* are doing, so why should I accept without consideration that it is right for me?

Quote:
While I try to avoid labeling people, I do understand that we are pattern seeking creatures and that classifying the things around us is one of our instincts. It's not a bad thing for our mind to want to do this, it helps us to decide how we qualify and thus value what is around us. Unfortunately these labels often come with assumptions that we may or may not personally attribute to a relationship and can serve to prompt us to beliefs that we don't necessarily have.

I was recently struggling with an emotional reaction to being labeled "friends with benefits" because of some of the assumptions which I was making about the name.

Quote:
If you feel possessiveness due to these labels, do you chose to use other terms that carry less meaning to change your perspective? Such as, "the wo/man that I'm married to" or "the person I'm dating"?
As with any communication, I find that using the most precise words generally helps avoid unwanted assumptions.

This is the same with introducing someone to other people. If I say "This is my girlfriend" people make a number of assumptions; that we are exclusive, that we live together, etc. If I am not comfortable with those assumptions then I might just be better off using the persons name - "This is IV." (though invariably if you don't assign a label to someone you will promptly be asked to do so "Is she your girlfriend?")

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 08-06-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariakas View Post
Its a descriptive label not a prescriptive one
Labels in general are not prescriptive or that is just not your intention in using them?

Most labels come with a number of assumptions with them, which is why we use them (as a kind of short hand). This short hand can easily convey a set of characteristics which is not necessarily present but that the title itself can help to encourage. Introducing someone as "This is your new manager" not only describes the position and responsibilities of the role, but can also suggest things like "authoritative nature" and "problem solver" and "decisive under pressure". It's the same with "wife", "boytoy", "girlfriend", it is entirely possible that the use of those labels encourages a pattern of behavior in line with whatever the assumptions are (even if it wasn't the intention of using those labels).

I imagine as long as people are mindful that their language is not instructing their actions then their language is entirely irrelevant (at least for them personally). Since I don't assign that kind of presence of mind to the unwashed masses I would always advise using titles which come with the least possible number of assumptions.

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 08-06-2013, 11:53 PM

I understand your point.

I simply don't care about other people's assumptions. People see and understand what they want.. Regardless of how well spoken. If people are interested they ask. Otherwise they can assume what they want..

Its always been a good litmus test for my interest in them as friends or otherwise.

Besides it can be fun to leave communication room to breath. Makes for some interesting discussion with the right group of people.

My label laziness could simply be a consequence of my job. I can't allow for assumptions in my work place. I build documentation and policies for it infrastructure and the training to go along with it. I don't carry that skill's into my personal life.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:26 AM

"My X" definitely has possessive connotations for me, yup. I actively try to avoid it and construct sentences otherwise, and do sometimes catch and correct myself when "my" slips out.

["ceterum censeo" rant] Then again, "my husband/my wife" seems just about right. Marriage *is* about ownership of another person, IMO. That's a main reason why I despise the whole concept and will not support any kind of "marriage equality" movements. I want society to get rid of it completely, not to get more people to sign up for this outdated mess. [/rant]

I dearly wish there was a relative/connective pronoun instead of a possessive one to use. *sigh*

As for the labels BF/GF, partner, lover, whatevs... go with whatever floats your boat. R. and I happen to be fond of "shipmates".
Old 08-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Banned

"Biatch", "Cabana Babe" & "Space Cadet" work for me, and they all come running because they aren't sure who i'm talking about.