Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Spirituality & Polyamory

Notices

Old 07-23-2013, 01:17 AM

Default former Jehovah's Witness

Got out of the cult when I was 20. Not really looking for recovery/support. Just checking for common ground in another community. Currently identify as non-religious Christian (I agree with the philosophy but not the mythology ).
Old 07-23-2013, 02:10 AM
Banned

Not Sure (lol), but I think this might be a Fireplace topic rather than Spiritulosity. Or else, since they do celebrate ONLY weddings and wedding anniversaries, do they have nothing in the book against plural marriages? I never thought to ask you that...
Old 07-23-2013, 02:30 AM

I'd say it's of a spiritual nature but yeah, not specifically in regards to JWs and poly. They would ne against it though, they're against education and there's kind of some math involved
Old 07-23-2013, 05:47 AM

how do you be against education and use math to back up your beliefs ?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Hi Flear,
The joke was that the cult would be against poly because the math would get too complicated and therefore possibly require a degree of some sort.

The weird thing is I think they've lightened their stance against members going to college. It's one of many things they've changed their minds about while continueing to refer to themself as 'The Truth.' I'm pretty sure truth is a constant, something is either true or it isn't. And when you have an all loving, all powerful, omnipresent being on your side how hard could it be to get that stuff straightened out?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBG View Post
Got out of the cult when I was 20. Not really looking for recovery/support. Just checking for common ground in another community. Currently identify as non-religious Christian (I agree with the philosophy but not the mythology ).
Congrats on getting out of the cult.

What is the "philosophy" of Xtianity when you leave out the magic? Golden rule? That's a common theme in many world religions. Why the need to call yourself Xtian?

Do you think you've found the real Truth now? Isn't "truth" in religion different for everyone, according to their life experiences?

Can something be true without being real?
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Yeah, the golden rule thing, commonness of it acknowledged. I don't exclusively refer to myself as listed here, that's just a way of simplifying it and the way a few of my coworkers started identifying what we've found to be a pretty common belief system, usually among people who were raised a variation of Christian.

Last edited by TRBG; 07-23-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:42 PM

Re: real truth. In regards to "origins of the universe" and "life after death" types of truth I don't think religion has anything to offer. I do believe however that since religion has been part of our evolution since we first developed conscientiousness that the need for it is still ingrained in us.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:45 PM

Agreed... I've decided that, for me, the focus on the resurrection and divinity of Christ overshadows what he actually TAUGHT. And I feel that his message has more weight when you believe he actually died for it, rather than the deus ex machina at the end.

Then again, perhaps the push of the resurrection and divinity angle was to differentiate him from every other martyr... who knows?
Xena: Poly. In relationships with Chops and Noa, and dating others.
Noa: Married, Poly. In relationships with Chops and Xena (individually).

Blog thread: A Mono's Journey Into Poly-Land (or, "Aw hell, there's no road map?!")
Slightly more polished blog with a mono/poly focus: From Baltic to Boardwalk
Old 07-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Mag, Not sure I get the truth without reality question. Are you asking is there truth in God even if there is no God?

Last edited by TRBG; 07-23-2013 at 01:50 PM.