Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 07-16-2013, 11:56 PM

Smile How to meet like-minded people ????

How to meet like-minded people ????

the simple solution is
SEARCH THEM

We are a polyfamily, and we are very clear : just show that you are like-minded people.

We check, if it is ok, no problem.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleurisseur View Post
How to meet like-minded people ????

the simple solution is
SEARCH THEM

We are a polyfamily, and we are very clear : just show that you are like-minded people.

We check, if it is ok, no problem.

Yeah, well i hang out with nudist swingers, so everyone searches and checks everyone else constantly. And still in nine years i've only met one person that way that i've liked enough to fuck, i mean "get to know better".

Tee hee.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
. . . i've only met one person that way that i've liked enough to fuck, i mean "get to know better".

Tee hee.
<giggle>

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 05-23-2014, 07:30 AM

Default Poly Dating: how to meet people?

Hello,

I'm pretty new to non-monogamy and currently single. I'm wondering if people on these forums have any tips on how to go about dating as a poly-curious person?

Firstly, I've tried online dating (OkCupid) and it has honestly been an incredibly soul destroying experience. I've sent out several dozen well-considered messages to openly non-monogamous girls (single and non-single) over the last 4 months and yet I've had pretty much no replies at all. Which kind of sucks ... so alternative approach needed.

I've also been to my local poly meetup, which was interesting but it seems to be a small community and they only meet once a month.

So ... I'm running out of ideas. Should I try the more "conventional" dating scene, speed dating or something? Knowing that my interest in poly is probably going to get me a lot of rejection? Is there some other approach people can recommend? Are there any groups that are not exactly poly but likely to be poly-friendly? What I'd really like to do is find a community of poly-friends in my area. Let me know your ideas!

MisterT

Last edited by MisterT; 05-23-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
Firstly, I've tried online dating (OkCupid) and it has honestly been an incredibly soul destroying experience. I've sent out several dozen well-considered messages to openly non-monogamous girls (single and non-single) over the last 4 months and yet I've had pretty much no replies at all. Which kind of sucks ... so alternative approach needed.
That is the way of online dating from the male perspective. Over the past few years of having my OKCupid profile up I've sent out countless emails, had a few admirers, and went on 3 dates which turned out to be even remotely interesting (2 more which were plainly a bad match). So if getting dates is your goal as a male I'd say a patient approach is the only reasonable suggestion.

There is no easy way that I'm aware of to meet people who have a compatible worldview to mine, our personalities blend well together, AND that we have good romantic chemistry. Certainly living in Texas it's a lot to hope for.

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 05-23-2014, 01:33 PM

Also, a previous thread on Poly Dating. Do a search (top banner) to find more results. I just did a tag search "dating" and this one popped up a few down the list.

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Default 195 96446992

^^ Ooops looks like I typed the captcha into the wrong box :-S

Glad it's not just me that's struggled with online dating.

I hadn't spotted that post, I'm reading through now, pretty long thread. Thanks

Last edited by MisterT; 05-23-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
Unfortunately, I've heard that from pretty much every male I've ever discussed the issue of OKC with - I don't know WHY the numbers are so very skewed, but nonetheless that seems to be the case. (From the female perspective, well, let's just say the noise-to-signal ratio is REALLY high so there's a decent shot the women you're messaging may or may not even notice your messages.

No real suggestions for you, just commiseration; if it makes you feel any better I can tell you that OKC can pay off, I've met both of my most recent partners through there as did my husband (though he tells me it took him far more messaging and "work" than mine did...)

dating Sunshine and DinoActivist, TheKnight is dating
Sunshine. (Sunshine and DinoActivist are married.)

Other Dramatis Personae: HipsterBoy / Pink!Girl / TheBride / MartialArtist / KinkyChemist - see my blog for details
Old 05-23-2014, 02:00 PM

Nate mostly meets ladies online but its more of a friend approach. Hes mey someone off fetlife and a couple new people from a stat trek convention. Seems the fet, geeky, or pagan scenes are great places to meet open minded people.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:08 PM

When I was open to dating I met people in real life.

I met my husband Murf through the classic car scene.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.

Tags
approaching someone, asking people out, dating, finding someone, first time, flirting, married and dating, meet ups, meeting new partners, meeting people, okc, online dating, poly dating, primary, primary/secondary, secondary, sex, small town, solo, third partner, thirds