Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 PM
mmmothra mmmothra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Why do people not explain these kinds of things in their posts, like we're all supposed to immediately know what it is? Harumph... I don't have a smartphone, so I've never used an app and therefore fail to see how people hook up on their phones. And by "hook up," I am guessing you people mean get laid? Geez, if a smartphone can do all that for us, I should get one...
Sorry, I should have clarified. Maybe I listen to too much Dan Savage - I thought this was common knowledge but obviously it isn't.
  #12  
Old 07-11-2013, 04:46 PM
london london is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK - land of the free
Posts: 1,635
Default

What I understand is that you were not getting your needs met so you decided that you would check his phone to see if he was meeting other people's needs while ignoring yours. That is a lack of trust. You had the belief that your partner may be ignoring your needs whilst actively meeting the needs of others. That would be a shitty thing for a partner to do and you obviously think there is the possibility of your partner being shitty. If you believe that your partner would intentionally, almost maliciously be shitty towards you by disregarding your needs, then no, I strongly believe that the key things that are needed in a healthy relationship are missing.

The next thing you talk about is how okay you are about him fucking a guy, but you seem to think that if he has changed his mind from your last "how bi are you" check, he has to tell you first. If he doesn't have to tell you when he is pursuing a woman, he shouldn't have to tell you if/when he is pursuing a guy. Or does he have to check with you every time he hits on someone? Do you have different rules for men and women?

I'm sorry if you were expecting "awwww, you were totally justified in checking his phone, you have every right to know what he is doing with whom. How dare he hit on a guy without first clearing his bi curiosity with you." Maybe the next poster will give you that.
  #13  
Old 07-11-2013, 05:15 PM
mmmothra mmmothra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
What I understand is that you were not getting your needs met so you decided that you would check his phone to see if he was meeting other people's needs while ignoring yours. That is a lack of trust. You had the belief that your partner may be ignoring your needs whilst actively meeting the needs of others. That would be a shitty thing for a partner to do and you obviously think there is the possibility of your partner being shitty. If you believe that your partner would intentionally, almost maliciously be shitty towards you by disregarding your needs, then no, I strongly believe that the key things that are needed in a healthy relationship are missing.

The next thing you talk about is how okay you are about him fucking a guy, but you seem to think that if he has changed his mind from your last "how bi are you" check, he has to tell you first. If he doesn't have to tell you when he is pursuing a woman, he shouldn't have to tell you if/when he is pursuing a guy. Or does he have to check with you every time he hits on someone? Do you have different rules for men and women?

I'm sorry if you were expecting "awwww, you were totally justified in checking his phone, you have every right to know what he is doing with whom. How dare he hit on a guy without first clearing his bi curiosity with you." Maybe the next poster will give you that.
I wasn't actually expecting that response. It was helpful for me to write it down and make sense of what was bothering me. I feel like I mentioned specifically that I DON'T feel justified checking his phone - I said multiple times that what I was doing was super, super shitty. I had a moment of weakness, that isn't justified, yes it's wrong. I think it's a bit of a jump to say that this moment of weakness and mistrust means our whole relationship is ruined and there is no trust at all and I'm a horrible girlfriend who is incapable of trusting him and I should just let this poor man free. Maybe a little bit of an overemphasis, but that's how I took your advice. And I think it's a little unfair.

So, as for the other point, I tried to make this clear but I don't know that I did a great job of it. I am totally ok with him fucking guys. I do not ask for him to check in, he doesn't need my permission. He hits on lots of people without telling me, I don't require him to, that's not how our relationship works. I don't feel he needs to run it past me - it is more that it seems like a really big development in his sexuality, and while he doesn't have to share it with me, I feel like our emotional intimacy is a little waning in that he doesn't seem to want to talk to me about it. Which he doesn't have to, it's not an obligation. It's nothing more than me feeling a little bummed that he doesn't want to share what's going on in his world with me. There is a big difference between requiring him to check in (which I don't) with feeling like whereas we could once tell each other all kinds of things, we now can't. If that's where it's going, that's fine. I have every right to be a little sad about it.

Look, I know you are trying to stand up for people being snooped on. Again, I know how shitty that was, and it was a one time thing - I'm not keeping tabs on him or anything. At the same time, I feel like you could be a little more sensitive in your responses, especially when you don't really fully understand the situation. It kind of boggles my mind that you would tell someone (seemingly vindictively) that they should break up with their partner of over a decade because they slipped and checked their phone one day. Reading too much into people's relationships without all the details can cause you to say some pretty hurtful things.
  #14  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:13 PM
london london is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK - land of the free
Posts: 1,635
Default

ten years or ten days, it makes no difference to me whatsoever. I've always vowed that the moment I felt I needed to check up on someone, I'd end it right then and there. That's why I told you to do the same. Asking me to be sensitive to your needs usually translates to "don't tell me the truth", I can't abstain from saying what I truthfully believe. If anything, you've added something that makes me more convinced about what I said when you said that you feel that your emotional intimacy is waning. I'm sorry that my point of view causes you distress.
  #15  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:17 PM
BoringGuy BoringGuy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,647
Default

The internet should come with helmets and training wheels.
  #16  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:44 PM
mmmothra mmmothra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
The internet should come with helmets and training wheels.
It's not about the internet, it's just that I'm thoroughly disappointed with this community that I'm new to. Whatever dude, no skin off my back. You can all say whatever you want, I'm not gonna run home crying, what you think doesn't affect my life. I just thought this was a more supportive community - it's cool, now I know.
  #17  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:54 PM
london london is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK - land of the free
Posts: 1,635
Default

support isn't telling you exactly what you want to hear, regardless of it's truth or relevance. Support is giving you what the giver feels is relevant and genuine advice to better your situation. It's up to you if you take it, but don't get mad at people because they disagree with your stance or actions.
  #18  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 PM
BoringGuy BoringGuy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,647
Default

This is still the internet. None of us had to apply to this forum and meet certain admissions criteria to be "approved" by this so-called "community". We didn't all have to agree to be supportively enabling or pass sensitivity training to qualify to be here. Your expectations are unrealistic. Of course, many people also approach their relationships with unrealistic expectations, and then strangers such as myself are the ones who are "pissing on their broken dreams". If you want a padded room, check into a psych hospital; if you can't handle the internet from the comfort, privacy, and safety of your own home, give up on the real world right now.
  #19  
Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 PM
mmmothra mmmothra is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
support isn't telling you exactly what you want to hear, regardless of it's truth or relevance. Support is giving you what the giver feels is relevant and genuine advice to better your situation. It's up to you if you take it, but don't get mad at people because they disagree with your stance or actions.
That actually wasn't directed at you, london. I disagree with your advice, and your delivery, but you're giving it. That was directed to people who were uselessly being snarky.
  #20  
Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM
BoringGuy BoringGuy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmothra View Post
That actually wasn't directed at you, london. I disagree with your advice, and your delivery, but you're giving it. That was directed to people who were uselessly being snarky.
You said you were "thoroughly disappointed with this community". Which is it? The community or just me? Make up your mind and maybe you will make some sense.
Closed Thread

Tags
distance, intimacy, loss of desire, snooping, suspicions

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:15 AM.