Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 02:21 PM

Sounds like you are in a better frame of mind today and got some sleep? It's hard when low on sleep to function well. Hang in there with that.

With all the nurture/caregiving you have to provide for the children... it's normal to feel cranky/tired/fussy yourself on low sleep. Who cares for the caregiver?

Maybe you were hoping that he could provide some of that in terms of a "thinking about you" text or similar. To let you know YOU are cared about too?

Do you have another friend you could call to support you in single mom-land? Any time you need a "There, there!" they could "there, there" you? Maybe have several friends on call? Could that help in future since you don't want to get too attached to BF and have him be your everything but at the same time have this comfort/reassure/encourage need to meet for yourself?

Teething is a drag. When I went through that parenting stage I was fortunate enough to find "lunch box ice" shapes that were easy for my kid to hold/gnaw on but not choke hazard on. Flowery shapes so a "petal" could go in the mouth but the whole flower was too big. YKWIM? Just kept several "flowers" handy in the freezer to swap out with when they stop being cold.

It minimized the mess of ice cubes in a mesh feeder, though if you don't mind the melting wet, that works. Get a mesh feeder and put ice it it. Or tie ice inside center of a long flour sack cloth.

If you kid will take it, frozen breastmilk popsicles -- then you get a two-fer. More nutrition into the kid AND soothe the gums. But keep in mind that freezing raw breastmilk could get that "soapy" taste if not boiled first. But then boiling changes milk too... it's a toss up.

All the above with supervision, of course.

There's orajel too.

I can't remember more from those days but I offer ideas in case it helps.

GL!
Galagirl
Old 06-13-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaGirl View Post

Do you have another friend you could call to support you in single mom-land? Any time you need a "There, there!" they could "there, there" you? Maybe have several friends on call? Could that help in future since you don't want to get too attached to BF and have him be your everything but at the same time have this comfort/reassure/encourage need to meet for yourself?
Yeah, if you're breastfeeding, La Leche League is great for networking. If you're not, there are plenty of other mom groups out there.

Quote:
Teething is a drag. When I went through that parenting stage I was fortunate enough to find "lunch box ice" shapes that were easy for my kid to hold/gnaw on but not choke hazard on. Flowery shapes so a "petal" could go in the mouth but the whole flower was too big. YKWIM? Just kept several "flowers" handy in the freezer to swap out with when they stop being cold.

It minimized the mess of ice cubes in a mesh feeder, though if you don't mind the melting wet, that works. Get a mesh feeder and put ice it it. Or tie ice inside center of a long flour sack cloth.

If you kid will take it, frozen breastmilk popsicles -- then you get a two-fer. More nutrition into the kid AND soothe the gums. But keep in mind that freezing raw breastmilk could get that "soapy" taste if not boiled first. But then boiling changes milk too... it's a toss up.
Most moms milk does not get that soapy taste (which comes from an overabundance of galactose enzyme), so scalding isn't necessary. But good to keep in mind. Frozen breastmilk is still really good stuff, esp. if it's just for popsicles.

Quote:
There's orajel too.
That stuff only lasts 10 minutes and since it numbs the gums, can make a baby have trouble breastfeeding correctly.

I used to wet a washcloth and freeze it and offer it before, during or after a feeding. But with my worst teether, I resorted to Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets, or even children's ibuprofen on really bad nights. I also relied on my husband to let me nap on weekends. Being a single mom, you need social support from friends who can have your back on bad days!
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 AM

I just stopped nursing a few mths ago because I had to start taking a not-ok medication. at least I made it to 22 mths! He has been sleeping through the night, well actually he now climbs into bed with his older brother instead of waking me up....I love waking up & seeing them in bed together. So cute! They are 2 & 6

Now I'm feeling like that magic feeling is gone or maybe NRE has dwindled a bit & we're moving into a different phase. Much less phone time, feeling somewhat disconnected...then again we both have busy lives & we couldn't sustain all the phone/text time. The last time we saw each other something was off & left me feeling uneasy. All I reminder that I need to work on my other friendships & build new ones & continue to work on myself. What I really want is someone who is available to me everyday, who will eventually be in my bed every night & who can put me 1st in his life.

There is no failure. Only feedback. -Robert Allen