Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 04:32 PM

Default Isn't this poly behavior?

I'll try to keep this short... basically I realized I was poly a couple years ago. My girlfriend, my first real girlfriend ever, was not happy about that development. We stayed together monogamously anyway, because she was in a bad place in her life and I still loved her and figured the rest could wait. The plan was to break up when she was ready to move on.

It's been two years since we decided that. A few months ago we got into a big fight, and basically she cut me off from sex. For almost two months she kept acting like we'd be having sex soon, she was just wasn't over the fight. Then a few weeks ago she claimed that she doesn't want to have sex, claiming she believes sex should only happen in the context of a relationship with a future.

Now, since then she still treats me basically like a boyfriend. Lots of "love yous," hugging, kissing at night and cuddling on the couch.

But something interesting came up over the weekend: Apparently she had dates lined up, and was starting to look for a new relationship. She was also planning to start having one-night stands in order to just get pregnant on her own.

So... if she's in love with me but dating to find someone else, let alone having sex with other people, isn't that kind of a polyamorous behavior?

The other thing bothering me is she wasn't planning on any sex with me. So maybe she's mono only in terms of sex itself? Or, and I've suspected this for a while, she just wants me to marry her so she can be married... rather than because she really thinks I'm "the one."

So figured I'd get some interpretations from you guys. It just seems odd to me, for a monogamous person to cuddle up on the couch with me, tell me she loves me, then go out on a date.

Last edited by onoma; 06-17-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Banned

It seems that she is seeking to swap you with someone she can have a monogamous relationship with. Maybe she's scared to be single inbetween relationships. I don't think this is a good foundation to consensually open your relationship and i'm not sure the people who care about you would be happy with you in a relationship with someone with those kind of morals and values. Especially concerning get getting pregnant in that fashion.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onoma View Post
So... if she's in love with me but dating to find someone else, let alone having sex with other people, isn't that kind of a polyamorous behavior?
It looks like she is making her stance pretty clear, what is it exactly you are confused about? Is it that you need to give her behavior a proper title?

What does she tell you when you have an unambiguous and adult conversation with her about her plans?

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 06-17-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
It looks like she is making her stance pretty clear, what is it exactly you are confused about? Is it that you need to give her behavior a proper title?
I'm confused that she's telling me should could never have an open relationship, yet she's dating while she tells me she loves me.

Quote:
What does she tell you when you have an unambiguous and adult conversation with her about her plans?
We have serious communication issues, but she has told me she could never have an open relationship. Yet, I feel like right now she considers herself my girlfriend and is dating other people.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Banned

So what if it's "poly behaviour" or not? You said you two broke up... how did you say it?
Quote:
The plan was to break up when she was ready to move on.
There's your answer right there.

Of what use it is to you to take this situation you helped create and are continuing to enable and put it in a box and call it "poly"? If it helps keep you in your comfortable denial that your partner "really is poly after all" despite the fact that SHE TOLD YOU SHE IS NOT REPEATEDLY YET YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT IT (did I say that or just think it out loud?), then you have my permission to say this is "poly behaviour". After all, I heard that "language is fluid", words can mean anything we want them to mean anytime we want, and no one owns the word "polyamory", "my poly is not your poly", "there is no one true poly", "there is no one right way to do poly", etc. etc. etc.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

There was an old couple in New Jersey who decided to drive cross-country in their car. Both were almost legally deaf. About 10 miles away from home, the burglar alarm for their car door got stuck in the "on" position. They drove all the way to San Francisco like this. You could hear them coming for miles. The alarm didn't seem to bother the woman at all; she thought it was sort of pleasant. Near Chicago, she said to her husband, "It sounds like faraway bees on a summer day."

Her husband said, "WHAT???"
Old 06-17-2013, 05:08 PM

It seems to me (from what you've said) that perhaps she feels that even though she loves you, your relationship is over - or a dead man walking. Don't hang your hat too much on semantics. If she can't have an open relationship (and she's been clear on that), and she's looking, then she's probably pretty much done.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Banned

whoa i missed the part about trying to get knocked-up when i read it the first time!

I'll tell you what she's doing. She is trying to trap someone into a relationship with an "oops" baby. Be glad she won't fuck you, unless you want that yourself. But it won't fix your poly problem.

To be completely honest - and you are not going to like this - but I have little patience with this sort of thing. It looks from here like you know EXACTLY what is going on and what you need to do, but you like the way it looks from inside your ass instead. I predict that this thread is going to go round and round in circles with people giving you the same advice and every time they do you will post some rebuttal about how "welllll if it was THAT way then why is my girlfriend THIS way?" and before too long there will be hidden messages in the way she brushes her teeth and blows her nose. "Does anyone think that the way she blows her nose could be considered poly behaviour?"

Get real with yourself.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
So what if it's "poly behaviour" or not? You said you two broke up... how did you say it?

There's your answer right there.
Technically, by "move on" I meant leave this city for a different one. I guess I worded that badly.

Quote:
Of what use it is to you to take this situation you helped create and are continuing to enable and put it in a box and call it "poly"? If it helps keep you in your comfortable denial that your partner "really is poly after all" despite the fact that SHE TOLD YOU SHE IS NOT REPEATEDLY YET YOU REFUSE TO ACCEPT IT (did I say that or just think it out loud?),
So you think it's monogamous behavior to truthfully tell someone you love them while you're dating other people?

YouAreHere

Quote:
It seems to me (from what you've said) that perhaps she feels that even though she loves you, your relationship is over - or a dead man walking. Don't hang your hat too much on semantics. If she can't have an open relationship (and she's been clear on that), and she's looking, then she's probably pretty much done.
If she's done, though, why is she holding on? The struggle for me has been that she acts exactly like my girlfriend of three years, right up until bedtime. I can even envision her kissing her date good night, then coming home and kissing me good night.

That's the thing here... I wonder if she's poly because then maybe we stay together. If not, I wonder if she's just using me for comfort. Either way, she doesn't seem at all inclined to let go. Several times I've told her being in this pseudo-relationship is too hard for me and I need space... but that just turns into a fight, which ends with her spending all her time with me and me hoping things will go back to where they were before.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onoma View Post
I wonder if she's just using me for comfort. Either way, she doesn't seem at all inclined to let go. Several times I've told her being in this pseudo-relationship is too hard for me and I need space... but that just turns into a fight, which ends with her spending all her time with me and me hoping things will go back to where they were before.
Change is scary. I can't read your GF's mind. Maybe she does really love you while she's dating. However, I know from my own experience that my ex-husband wanted to separate, wanted to be closer with his GF, wanted to not have to deal with therapy, or being my friend, or doing anything that would help our relationship, but he sure as heck didn't want me to divorce him and move out. He was afraid of change.

Oh well.

It hurt. It sucked. But I was through being used.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you're not there yet, but it reads to me like she's holding on to you until she finds something else.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Banned

She doesn't want to be alone