Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 01-24-2010, 09:15 PM
CielDuMatin's Avatar
CielDuMatin CielDuMatin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Upstate New York, USA
Posts: 1,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Last night I was hanging with a poly friend that I thought for sure was invited to the party and it turns out he wasn't and I let the cat out of the bag... oops.

I hate this secrecy thing that is going on around it. It just isn't sitting right. Not to mention that there are people going that are not a part of our regular group and I was told that it was all people we knew so what was the big deal, we should be at the point where we are comfortable enough to be sexual with each other.

There has been some discussion about the possibility that we are not ready but could be pushed a bit to see if people are interested in sex as a group.
To me this seems like a very odd dynamic. And lots of rumours and little on facts of what is actually going to happen.

I think people need to go into things like this with expectations firmly set - you don't really want a surprise in something like this - especially not one that may violate your boundaries.
__________________
Please check out The Birdcage - an open, friendly Polyamory forum for all parts of New York State
http://www.thebirdcage.org/

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 01-26-2010, 07:39 AM
redpepper's Avatar
redpepper redpepper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,639
Default

So I seem to be getting very good at explaining why I'm not going to this party.

I am saying to those that ask, of which there has been about 4 up until now... "I don't want to have sex with my friends and don't need a sex party to help me move closer to those that I would want to start that kind of relationship with...I would like my friends to be my support and I would like to support those in it, I feel that would be jeopardized if I have sex with people just for the sake of it. Everyone means too much to me to have group sex with them just for the hell of it. I've done group sex and I know I am not missing anything." this is usually followed with, "it's a sex party?" to which I say, "yes it is," to which the reply is, "I didn't know that, I thought it would just be kind of sexy...I won't stay if it ends up that people have sex in front of me."

So that is where that is at....

The other night a new friend came over for supper with our family, she is from another city and is far more experienced in poly than any of us in terms of having many lovers come and go in her and her husbands life. She told us some stories that were perhaps a bit much for Mono to listen to. He left early saying he was "poly-saturated."

The friend talked so casually about how she dated a guy once with another woman that was also interested in him. They took him together on a date and shared the night with him dancing, drinking and eating at a restaurant. This woman is very beautiful and charming and won him over in the end as the one that would start a relationship quickly and have sex quickly. My friend took this in her stride it seemed and said it was fine that it had happened that way. She continued to date the man and so did the other woman and they went at different speeds and each brought him different things as he did with them. She was so confident in who she is as a woman that only enjoys intimate sex with connection and bonding, a woman that doesn't like public displays of nudity and who cherishes going at a pace that is more slow and moves towards depth. I was blown away at how she took others approaches in her stride and wondered if this is real "poly networking," not going out and being a player necessarily, one uping the competition and getting all the good men or women, but also taking it slow, figuring out who we are and going with it. Letting ourselves be just ourselves and being okay with that. Those that have poly experience seem to get that in each other and I am getting that too now. I hope that makes sense. .... It's just so unlike regular mono dating... it's really a completely different thing. I think I understand the term "poly networking" now, as opposed to "poly swinging."

Twice this week I have been invited to sex related events. One was to receive a yoni massage (massage of the vagina) and the other was today to go to a spiritual yet sexual event where we would have sex and intimacy in a group setting somehow and under the context of spirituality and connection to each other and everything.

Both are very intriguing and I would love to experience both very much but I am not able to because of the boundaries I have in place with my loves. I have some disappointment around it for sure but I am weighing it up with the love I have in my life and what I want my future to be. Experiencing something like either would be a once time thing, my relationships will be for the long term if I chose to stick with them. I am sticking with them. I am seeing it like a holiday missed with friends or a good price on a ticket missed because I didn't have enough money or I have to work. I have that same feeling, but it passes.

I am working on sexual self care in terms of poly networking very hard right now... it's pushing me, but I am holding fast to see what happens when I do.
__________________
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog

Last edited by NeonKaos; 01-26-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: merge posts
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 01-26-2010, 01:48 PM
CielDuMatin's Avatar
CielDuMatin CielDuMatin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Upstate New York, USA
Posts: 1,456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
She was so confident in who she is as a woman that only enjoys intimate sex with connection and bonding, a woman that doesn't like public displays of nudity and who cherishes going at a pace that is more slow and moves towards depth. I was blown away at how she took others approaches in her stride and wondered if this is real "poly networking," not going out and being a player necessarily, one uping the competition and getting all the good men or women, but also taking it slow, figuring out who we are and going with it. Letting ourselves be just ourselves and being okay with that.
I think this is amazing, and just shows the varieties of people that "do poly well". I do love the idea that there is such a wide variety of different lovestyles involved in this large/huge umbrella term and I think it's important to make sure that nobody tries to make it one particular style, pressuring others into doing it their way.

While something like you parties may be interesting, I really don't think that having sex with people I don't know would do anything to improve any sort of spiritual connection with them. I have done the sport sex and, while it was quite interesting and enjoyable on one level, it was missing a lot of what I desire most in a sexual relationship, which is the mental bonding. I know I am not going to develop a mental bond with someone I just met during a party lasting several hours - even if sparks are there, that's all they are. I know others feel differently about this, and more power to them for that - it's just not for me.

So I can identify quite strongly with the attitude of this friend of yours.
__________________
Please check out The Birdcage - an open, friendly Polyamory forum for all parts of New York State
http://www.thebirdcage.org/

"Listen, or your tongue will make you deaf." - Native American Proverb
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 01-26-2010, 04:10 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
my relationships will be for the long term if I chose to stick with them. .
I am left a little speechless by your last comment Lilo. In a good way, and a wary way. I share the hopes you have for the long haul and am honored you want me around in your future. While I can only speak for myself, I just want to remind you that you are young, incredibly intelligent, caring, beautiful and have choices and options. No clock is ticking and there will always be a way to share in each others life regardless of what paths we take. Our bond is not all or nothing....just so you know
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over

Last edited by MonoVCPHG; 01-26-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 01-26-2010, 06:53 PM
GroundedSpirit GroundedSpirit is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New England USA
Posts: 1,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Twice this week I have been invited to sex related events. One was to receive a yoni massage (massage of the vagina) and the other was today to go to a spiritual yet sexual event where we would have sex and intimacy in a group setting somehow and under the context of spirituality and connection to each other and everything.
Hi RP,

Well - it's interesting to see how this whole thing is developing - the breadth it's expanded to. Way beyond just a reaction to a party etc.
Initially I would have figured (like you did) that it would just be a "no thanks - not my thing" and end of discussion. But it seems you've attached more to it on a 'conceptual' level. And now you've bumped into a couple more opportunities that seem to be pushing definitions of what your 'sexuality' does - or MIGHT entail.
Interesting !

Although we've never managed to make it to one, we've seen events/workshops focused on Tantric sex practice and found the concept interesting. 'Concept' being meeting with a group of loving, focused people who we've never met before and exploring different aspects of sexuality.
Now to us - that seems like a whole different avenue of exploration than a 'swing' party. Although we've never participated in a swing party - we attended one once for a short while and soon discovered that it just wasn't our "thing". But we also acknowledged that was just that particular party, with that particular group etc. We certainly didn't 'label' swinging or swing parties by that one experience. And we know that those vary as widely as people do.
I'm rambling with no point LOL

Actually, I think the point is (if I'm even understanding you correctly) that I'm surprised to learn that you and your loves would, for example, not consider investigating something like that together (if possible). For example, any of the Tantric training we've seen didn't imply any expectations of being sexual with anyone but your own partner(s) (if you had one). But neither was it implied otherwise - giving us the impression that it was open to flow in whatever direction each individuals comfort level allowed.

I guess I'm not clear on what you see as 'boundary' limitations in these cases. Is it just that it (might) involve something sexual (or semi) with someone you are not already in a relationship with. Is that the 'boundary' ?

Gotta run..........


GS
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 01-26-2010, 06:57 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundedSpirit View Post

I guess I'm not clear on what you see as 'boundary' limitations in these cases. Is it just that it (might) involve something sexual (or semi) with someone you are not already in a relationship with. Is that the 'boundary' ?

Gotta run..........


GS
Honestly GS...read my stuff and things should become clear.
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 01-26-2010, 07:42 PM
redpepper's Avatar
redpepper redpepper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundedSpirit View Post
Although we've never managed to make it to one, we've seen events/workshops focused on Tantric sex practice and found the concept interesting. 'Concept' being meeting with a group of loving, focused people who we've never met before and exploring different aspects of sexuality.
Now to us - that seems like a whole different avenue of exploration than a 'swing' party. Although we've never participated in a swing party - we attended one once for a short while and soon discovered that it just wasn't our "thing". But we also acknowledged that was just that particular party, with that particular group etc. We certainly didn't 'label' swinging or swing parties by that one experience. And we know that those vary as widely as people do.
I'm rambling with no point LOL

Actually, I think the point is (if I'm even understanding you correctly) that I'm surprised to learn that you and your loves would, for example, not consider investigating something like that together (if possible). For example, any of the Tantric training we've seen didn't imply any expectations of being sexual with anyone but your own partner(s) (if you had one). But neither was it implied otherwise - giving us the impression that it was open to flow in whatever direction each individuals comfort level allowed.

I guess I'm not clear on what you see as 'boundary' limitations in these cases. Is it just that it (might) involve something sexual (or semi) with someone you are not already in a relationship with. Is that the 'boundary' ?
I am not sure if it is tantric. I don't think so actually. They have a website and there is no mention of tantric. I would post it and perhaps will later, but I am not sure if it will indicate the group or not at this point as they seem to be doing their own thing and I would rather not make myself known in terms with my involvement so far. Does that make sense....? It is certainly different from swinging and I like the appreciation for self care while being sexual.

Anyway, I haven't talked with Mono about it but have with my husband. He just said he didn't know what he thinks yet. I am interested to know more as it ties in with the workshop I am getting together and I do like to be as informed as possible about what is out there.

We haven't talked about boundaries that involve others being around us while we do our own thing in their presence. Of the top of my head I like the idea of learning more with my two men and experiencing private activities in a public setting. But as I said, I don't know what the others think yet and can't speak on what the boundaries are about exploring that, if at all. I don't know if that is possible in the context of the group involved or not.

It is strange that this has come up so much in my life... I'm glad yet tired at this point. It's exhausting. There is a reason somewhere and I don't know what it is, but I will never know if I shut doors without looking to see what is inside from the door way. I am keeping my mind open, communication open and taking everything as it comes...
__________________
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 01-26-2010, 07:52 PM
MonoVCPHG's Avatar
MonoVCPHG MonoVCPHG is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In Redpepper's heart
Posts: 4,742
Default

Just because we walk through doorways that doesn't mean you can't still have something with those who chose not to follow. Everything changes
__________________

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 01-26-2010, 08:20 PM
redpepper's Avatar
redpepper redpepper is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,639
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
Just because we walk through doorways that doesn't mean you can't still have something with those who chose not to follow. Everything changes
Oh for the love of....! Nothing is changing unless you decide my love... by talking about it constantly it will change. I for one am not even addressing that that is an option, because for me it is not.

Don't get me mad Mono.... I'm pre-menstrual and a redhead, I'll come down on your ass! grrrr

__________________
Anyone want to be friends on Facebook?
Send me your name via PM
My blog
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 01-26-2010, 08:24 PM
LovingRadiance's Avatar
LovingRadiance LovingRadiance is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Alaska
Posts: 5,398
Default

That makes two of us RP (well not the redhead part).
__________________
"Love As Thou Wilt"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
poly sex, sex, sex party

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:43 AM.