Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM

I feel in a way it's a mix of the two for me. I never went into being poly feeling like I was lacking something in my relationship with Woodsmith but since being with Primal as well I've realized the two of them do fullfill different parts that make me feel more whole than without them both.
Merry: Tig's wife/slave
NT: Merry's boyfriend/owner
Elle: NT and Merry girlfriend
Umbra: Elle's Dom
Pet: Umbra's slave/wife, Elle girlfriend
Domo: Pet's submissive
Old 06-14-2013, 02:26 PM

I'm really glad you found it helpful, and as others have said, good on both of you for thinking hard and taking difficult advice. Just a quick thought --

"This is to say, I do not think I have such a good handle on such things to the point that it would be irresponsible or immature to willingly get into such an arrangement. I don't think this is entirely fair to her or her other partners, and doubly, if not triply so for a husband or other long-term partner."

Why would it be unfair to her life partner for her to date you, but not unfair to your husband (I assume we've gotten past the point of thinking that he MUST necessarily have ongoing access to her body and heart just because you do)?

Time management and dealing with jealousy are crucial to doing poly well, and that would be true in a triad as much as in any structure. Angling for a triad is not a way to skirt having to deal with these issues... you just can't avoid them if you want to be non-monogamous. If anything, the poly-fi triad attempts I've read about have been *more* rife with problems around these topics... which might be because the people who put themselves in those situations were more inexperienced to begin with, but which I think also has a lot to do with the fact that in that sort of structure you go from 0 to 100 right away... from it being just you and your husband all the time to this third person suddenly taking up a huge chunk of your life with no "home base" of their own to return to to give you space while you adjust to the reality of being open. No room for either of you to cope with missing those days when it was just the two of you, because if you want to leave the third person alone for a while you're abandoning them with no allowance for another support in their lives. And there's no room for anyone in that sort of scenario to nurture the one-on-one connections that every relationship needs like oxygen.*

*This being why I found this question from your husband, which I didn't take the time to comment on specifically before, to be especially troubling --
"How rude would it be to ask a potential individual to do as much as possible 'together' as a trio?"
-- it just shows a lack of understanding of how deep, authentic, romantic relationships form. And, yeah, it would be way rude. If I were involved with you, it would make me feel like I was constantly being monitored, regardless of your intent.

Last edited by AnnabelMore; 06-14-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:30 PM

The realization that my husband was missing something my boyfriend offers came as I got to know my bf more and more. Both men are very similar. Both strong men physically and mentally. Honest, trustworthy, loving, and I could go on and write a book. The difference is my husband is a loud rowdy individual. He tends to want to talk about everything.. he will push me. While my boyfriend is more like me. He allows me to process and do things my way. Oh trust me he will push when needed in our relationship but he is not like my husband who will push me off into the deepend beyond my comfort zone.

Once in a while I need peace in my life a partner who is a solid force willing to have my back
. Who allows me to figure it out my own way. Yet everyonce in a while I need a shove off the cliff or challenged.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryIllusion View Post
We don't expect everyone to agree all the time, but we do expect you to treat each other with respect, and maintain some decorum of civilized discussion.
Hear, hear. Informed, polite and well-reasoned discussion would, at least for some, be far more persuasive than abusive rants any day.

It makes you wonder, how on earth do some of the 'petrol dowsers' maintain a relationship with their communication style(s) anyway?

- Tao Te Ching