Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Marcus's Avatar
Marcus Marcus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Richardson, TX
Posts: 1,357
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
It surprises me that you would agree with this. I love your posts because you say more or less exactly what you mean. You don't tiptoe in case someone gets offended. I might not agree but it's not coated in butthurt and the bitterness so it isn't tainted and skewered by you pretending to be objective. If anything,i thought you would empathise with autistic people on this.
There is some confusion here... empathize with autistic people on what? That non-autistic people are intrinsically dishonest? Is this your deep and empathetic understanding of non-autistic people? That we are all liars?

C - O - N - F - U - S - E - D
__________________
Me: male, 40, straight, single
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-14-2013, 02:16 PM
nycindie's Avatar
nycindie nycindie is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Apple
Posts: 9,521
Default

London, the OP here has identified himself as having Asperger's but hasn't referred to himself as autistic. I know that Aspies are part of that "spectrum," but it is considered to be somewhat different from high-functioning autism, so I think that you are getting all political in defense of all autistic people for no reason. If you are going to refer to the OP's syndrome/disorder in regard to the dilemma he is struggling with, I think it would be more respectful to refer to his issue as related specifically to Asperger's, not autism, since he did not identify himself as autistic.
__________________
The world opens up... when you do.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM
BoringGuy BoringGuy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
This is just about the worst thing you could say to someone on the autistic spectrum. This shows me that you have a painfully limited idea of what it is like to have autism. Reminds me of the people who don't mind when your autism helps them because of your ability to become fixated in your focus on something, but won't try and change their language to make their intentions clearer or do anything else that might help you because they don't believe you need that level of support. Ie you can only be autistic when it's convenient for me.


You have no idea who you are talking to. I plan to avoid responding to your comments from now on because the last thing i need on here is another "disabled" person following me around on here giving me crap.

I am not going to recite my medical history for you because it's none of your business, and i find it in poor taste when people use their medical, personal, psychiatric, etc. issues to make everyone else walk on eggshells, so i don't do it.

That said, i'll say whatever i say to the OP. this is not the Wrong Planet forum. The OP can go find an Aspie support group (and so can you, or me) if they need that kind of special treatment. You come to a forum about polyamory, you are going to get advice about relationships, not individual therapy.

London, i like the things you say most of the time, i agree with you, but you react very strongly to perceived insults and whatnot that may not be the case. If you know it's you with the aspergers, you should be developing a coping system and not expecting the whole world to change in order to know exactly how to word things. I have a mild form of Aspie where i over-read or under-read body language and facial expression. I have trouble with realizing when people are trying to escape from a conversation, etc. so i tend to avoid situations with lots of strangers around. But i am extremely high-functioning verbally, so there. Those two things make written communication and forums the ideal medium to express myself. That is also why i have difficulty stopping once i get going. So YOU would probably weird ME out by doing something like buttoning your coat in the wrong order or leaving your bag or backpack on the floor with the flap facing the wrong way. But guess what? I know these things are MY issues, and i wouldn't make them YOUR PROBLEMS.

Besides, i was talking to the OP. why are YOU offended? I wasn't even talking to You. Did the OP even ASK for your help defending them? Maybe they came here hecause they WANT advice from the general (non-autistic) population. Did you ever consider THAT?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-14-2013, 03:56 PM
london london is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK - land of the free
Posts: 1,635
Default

Firstly, you can't have Aspergers without being autistic. In fact, a little google search well tell you that Aspergers has been eradicated as a diagnosis for this very reason. People keep separating Aspergers from autism. Aspergers means autism without speech delay and with normal IQ. So me reportedly saying autism or autistic is perfectly sound.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-14-2013, 04:01 PM
london london is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK - land of the free
Posts: 1,635
Default

You have no idea how many coping strategies I employ whilst answering on any forum, including this one. If I said what I really think, exactly how I think it, I would have been banned on the first day.

You are of course welcome to ignore my posts, I suspect you are already compelled to read them though and will continue to do so whilst muttering under your virtual breath about how utterly insufferable I am. But don't worry, we might have great angry sex one day, let's stay focused on that, eh, soldier?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-14-2013, 04:47 PM
BoringGuy BoringGuy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,643
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
You have no idea how many coping strategies I employ whilst answering on any forum, including this one. If I said what I really think, exactly how I think it, I would have been banned on the first day.

You are of course welcome to ignore my posts, I suspect you are already compelled to read them though and will continue to do so whilst muttering under your virtual breath about how utterly insufferable I am. But don't worry, we might have great angry sex one day, let's stay focused on that, eh, soldier?


Wow you took the words out of my mouth, except for the part about angry soldier sex, that went right over my head.

See here's the thing. This is what i mean when i say we are not as unique (GASP! Spelled it right!) as we have been taught to think we are. Oh also, i don't mutter about how insufferable you are. Not yet, anyway. I am busy doing THAT about dirtclustit (i am under orders to not use cute nicknames like Sawyer from Lost used to do). But anyway, you seem to be so wrapped in being offended by my use of words yet i just explained to you that i have a simlar condition and you're still going off about you, you, you. Where is your empathy for someone else LIKE you? And i guarantee you we are alike in more ways than you probably suspect.

Hi mom, hi dad.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-14-2013, 05:13 PM
YouAreHere's Avatar
YouAreHere YouAreHere is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: SoNH
Posts: 1,250
Default

I feel I'm a spectator to some odd bonding ritual I don't understand... Have fun, you two!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-14-2013, 05:23 PM
onoma onoma is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuality View Post
But this gives me little solace. The more I read about it, the worse I feel. The studies just seem to reinforce that my love is broken. It's almost made me break down and cry, and my mind is tearing apart.
Why do the studies make you feel worse? Do you agree with them? Or do you disagree with them?

Quote:
It feels like I'm being forced to go into a relationship style that does not feel right to me.
No one can force you to do anything. If you go into a relationship style, you chose to do that. You can always choose not to. The important thing is to make your choice.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-14-2013, 05:54 PM
onoma onoma is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
This is just about the worst thing you could say to someone on the autistic spectrum.
Why? How could it have been better?

Quote:
This shows me that you have a painfully limited idea of what it is like to have autism.
Not speaking for the original author... but I'd wager most of us have a painfully limited idea about what autism is like. Basically, 90% of my knowledge of the subject is from Boston Legal, and the other 10% is from my girlfriend who may have some autistic tendencies.

Point of all this being: If people don't understand autism to your satisfaction, try helping. Constructive criticism, that is, rather than just criticism.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-14-2013, 06:18 PM
london london is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK - land of the free
Posts: 1,635
Default

You know, I nearly wrote a long post explaining, and then I just thought Fuck it, read a book if you're interested because all people will do is dispute it and this invalidate the typical feelings autistic people have when dating and socialising.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:29 AM.