Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 06-13-2013, 10:40 PM
opalescent opalescent is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: US
Posts: 1,305
Default

Learning opportunity fail.

BoringGuy, I used to enjoy your posts. But the condescending tone is too much for me.

So blocked! And now I will continue to enjoy the forum.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 PM
BoringGuy BoringGuy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,647
Default Learning Opportunity Win

Hm, someone got offended because I am not a typical neurotypical. How neurotypical.

Opalescent, if you really did like my posts, you'll still read them. If you really DIDN'T like them (which I'm more inclined to believe since neurotypicals base everything on lies, an autistic person said so it must be true and how dare anyone suggest an autistic is WRONG when they know they are RIGHT), then nothing has changed either.

Everybody wins! Now we can all go out for ice-cream. I'll have vanilla, please.

Last edited by BoringGuy; 06-13-2013 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-14-2013, 12:18 AM
DarkDuality DarkDuality is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 9
Default

Umm, can we get back on topic?

That said I read somewhere that people with Aspergers have a difficult time letting go of something that offended them (in this case me feeling broken). So this wound may just take time to heal.

As for the rest, everyone is right. I have to do me and listen to what it is I want. Maybe I do want a relationship, maybe I just want to be single and have friends. Like I stated before, I'm not going to force love. If it does happen down the line, good. If not, no big deal. I could even find that a relationship is not what I want.
At the end of the day, I have to live my life.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-14-2013, 12:26 AM
BoringGuy BoringGuy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 1,647
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuality View Post
Umm, can we get back on topic?

That said I read somewhere that people with Aspergers have a difficult time letting go of something that offended them (in this case me feeling broken). So this wound may just take time to heal.

As for the rest, everyone is right. I have to do me and listen to what it is I want. Maybe I do want a relationship, maybe I just want to be single and have friends. Like I stated before, I'm not going to force love. If it does happen down the line, good. If not, no big deal. I could even find that a relationship is not what I want.
At the end of the day, I have to live my life.
It isn't clear to me - the person who said this to you, are you in love with that person? Are you "in a relationship" with this person? Or was it like, some casual acquaintance at a party type-of-thing? Because I could see if it was someone you were emotionally invested in who was pushing your buttons. But if it's a relative stranger... just fuck 'em. In the classical sense, not the literal sense.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-14-2013, 12:38 AM
DarkDuality DarkDuality is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 9
Default

To be honest it was a guy I was chatting for some time with on a dating app. But it's like I said, comments like that are difficult to let go with Asperers. I remember someone in school shoving me months ago an today in about a little over halfway over it. It's just going to take time.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 AM
london london is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK - land of the free
Posts: 1,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
Well, I'm curious about that too, so can I get the PM? Specifically, why is it OK for an Aspie to make a stereotypical generalization about "the neurotypicals", but if "a neurotypical" did the same about Aspies, it would blow the house off the foundation?
Who said it wasn't okay? I didn't even say it want okay to disagree with my sweeping statement. You'd be wrong of course, but you're welcome to voice any rebuttals.

Last edited by london; 06-14-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-14-2013, 04:49 AM
london london is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK - land of the free
Posts: 1,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
It isn't clear to me - the person who said this to you, are you in love with that person? Are you "in a relationship" with this person? Or was it like, some casual acquaintance at a party type-of-thing? Because I could see if it was someone you were emotionally invested in who was pushing your buttons. But if it's a relative stranger... just fuck 'em. In the classical sense, not the literal sense.
This is just about the worst thing you could say to someone on the autistic spectrum. This shows me that you have a painfully limited idea of what it is like to have autism. Reminds me of the people who don't mind when your autism helps them because of your ability to become fixated in your focus on something, but won't try and change their language to make their intentions clearer or do anything else that might help you because they don't believe you need that level of support. Ie you can only be autistic when it's convenient for me.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-14-2013, 04:57 AM
london london is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: UK - land of the free
Posts: 1,635
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Dangit BG, you beat me to it!@!
It surprises me that you would agree with this. I love your posts because you say more or less exactly what you mean. You don't tiptoe in case someone gets offended. I might not agree but it's not coated in butthurt and the bitterness so it isn't tainted and skewered by you pretending to be objective. If anything,i thought you would empathise with autistic people on this.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-14-2013, 01:49 PM
GalaGirl GalaGirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,026
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuality
That said I read somewhere that people with Aspergers have a difficult time letting go of something that offended them (in this case me feeling broken). So this wound may just take time to heal.
This is true. It will take time. Is there anything forum people could do to help you in that process? Listen/read when you need to vent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDuality
As for the rest, everyone is right. I have to do me and listen to what it is I want. Maybe I do want a relationship, maybe I just want to be single and have friends. Like I stated before, I'm not going to force love. If it does happen down the line, good. If not, no big deal. I could even find that a relationship is not what I want. At the end of the day, I have to live my life.
This is true too. Can't put life on hold -- have to keep on living it.

I hope healing comes for you, and other good things too.

Namaste,
Galagirl
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-14-2013, 01:51 PM
Marcus's Avatar
Marcus Marcus is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Haltom City, TX
Posts: 1,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
It surprises me that you would agree with this. I love your posts because you say more or less exactly what you mean. You don't tiptoe in case someone gets offended. I might not agree but it's not coated in butthurt and the bitterness so it isn't tainted and skewered by you pretending to be objective. If anything,i thought you would empathise with autistic people on this.
There is some confusion here... empathize with autistic people on what? That non-autistic people are intrinsically dishonest? Is this your deep and empathetic understanding of non-autistic people? That we are all liars?

C - O - N - F - U - S - E - D
__________________
Independent (Anarchist) Non-Monogamy

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:15 PM.