Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 PM

Seems that everyone is right. Me personally, I have the capacity to love just one person romantically, and I've seen the relationship my parents have had and decided that's what I want.

There are millions of people in the world, odds are ill find one who is compatable with me. But I tend to believe in fate, so I won't force love. I'll live my life, learning to be comfortable with me. If I meet someone great, if not no big deal. It may even turn out that a relationship is not what I want altogether. But come what may, I just have to live my life.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by london View Post
Hey, I'm also on the autistic spectrum. What you have to realise about NTs are that they are largely illogical. I pay very little attention to anything they day because it's usually founded on lies. Usually they lite to themselves. Anywho, poly people are no better than mono people, at all. It just gives some people a false sense of security when they believe their lifestyle means they are more evolved and enlightened. NTs are here to make is giggle, make sure one makes you laugh everyday.
@london,

This made me giggle. It just made me think about neurotypical folks differently, as outsiders, and how we might look like this utterly bizarre, random tribe.

I am curious why you think NTs lie all the time? Is it the social grease aspect of 'little white lies'? Or something else? Please reply by PM so we don't hijack DarkDuality's thread.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
I am curious why you think NTs lie all the time? Is it the social grease aspect of 'little white lies'? Or something else? Please reply by PM so we don't hijack DarkDuality's thread.
Well, I'm curious about that too, so can I get the PM? Specifically, why is it OK for an Aspie to make a stereotypical generalization about "the neurotypicals", but if "a neurotypical" did the same about Aspies, it would blow the house off the foundation?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
Well, I'm curious about that too, so can I get the PM? Specifically, why is it OK for an Aspie to make a stereotypical generalization about "the neurotypicals", but if "a neurotypical" did the same about Aspies, it would blow the house off the foundation?
We are taking the discussion of publicly insulting the fundamental integrity of a major group of humanity to private message now?

Someone (might have been me, not sure) called a person a hypocrite for doing something clearly hypocritical and you could see the whining fallout from space lol

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 06-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
We are taking the discussion of publicly insulting the fundamental integrity of a major group of humanity to private message now?
That's because we are required to maintain a sanitized environment for the public newbies. If there is too much discussion, it might lead to an exchange of ideas, which might lead to some wank in the short-term, which would screw up the poly-journeys of countless innocent bystanders.

That's just MY theory. I can't PROVE it.

The thing about the hypocrite was about whether doing hypocritical behaviours "makes" someone "a hypocrite", or just an imperfect human being who occasionally contradicts themselves in words and/or actions. Also, whether pointing out that someone "behaved in a hypocritical way" is an "ad hominem" (it is NOT) and therefore (I'm paraphrasing) constitutes "towing [sic] the line" when it comes to the rules of this forum.

Myself, I quit Sunday School when I was 11. I have no use for this ^ anymore.

Last edited by BoringGuy; 06-13-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM

I didn't even know what NT stood for, and I am sure many others who read it or would have read it, would not know either. So, by using specific jargon, many were excluded from the conversation. It seemed that mean-spirited jokes were being made about a certain type of person ("neurotypical"). If london and others want to continue along that tangent, taking it to PM would seem appropriate.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 06-13-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:09 PM

For fuck's sake people, I asked london to PM me because I am curious about her perception of lies and neurotypical people and that curiousity was not related at all to the OP's post. Hence the PM. If london wants to make a separate thread about it, that would be cool but, in my opinion, this thread is not the place to have that discussion.

If you don't know much about autism spectrum and other non-neurotypical folks, go do some research before getting your panties all in a wad.

Yes the comment was intemperate and obnoxious. But you know what? I've heard more than one person who is on the autism spectrum say that they perceive neurotypicals to lie a lot. And they are correct. Think about all the truth you did not say to someone today or this week because it would have caused pain for no good reason. Think about all the little white lies we tell each other, all in the name of getting along and not rocking the boat. Think about how we shade the truth, don't say what we are actually thinking, or manipulate our language just so. This is something we do so constantly that we don't notice it - but for people who do not experience or understand social in the same way we do, it is very obvious and often perplexing.

And, yes, there is a power imbalance between the majority of neurotypicals -we determine who gets to join us in the 'typical' column - and those who fall outside of 'normal'. Be aware of that - yes, it is another kind of privilege if your brain works more or less like most other people.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Think about all the truth you did not say to someone today or this week because it would have caused pain for no good reason. Think about all the little white lies we tell each other, all in the name of getting along and not rocking the boat. Think about how we shade the truth, don't say what we are actually thinking, or manipulate our language just so. This is something we do so constantly that we don't notice it

BWAHAHAHA ya right, I do all those things. I ALWAYS shade the truth, I DO NOT rock the boat, and I NEVER say what I'm actually thinking. And EVERYONE appreciates it.

Don't stop! Continue! I love reading semi-biographical fiction. Henry VIII was a stud. Boring Guy is a Lying NeuroTypical. This is priceless shit. Someone should bottle it, sell it, get rich and never have to work another day in their lives.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Be aware of that - yes, it is another kind of privilege if your brain works more or less like most other people.
Dangit BG, you beat me to it!@!

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Dangit BG, you beat me to it!@!

I better quit while i'm ahead or risk being cast into the Realm of Thud to wail and gnash my teeth for all eternity and forever.