Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 05-30-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Um, okay. Whatever floats your boat. I don't really care if anyone agrees with me or not.
FFS what is up with everyone today, is it hormone central or something? Sheesh.... I just meant we needn't beat the issue to death as neither of us will convince the other and it is clear that we both have strong views on the issue.

Gawd, you can own your inner bitch but I don't need to meet her over something so friggin stupid!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:27 PM

I don't have "strong views on the subject." Just stated an opinion in defense of what Dagferi wrote, that's all. I am not interested in convincing you of anything. All I am into is clearly stating my opinion. Furthermore, it doesn't matter to me if you or anyone else "agrees to disagee" with me or not. Who cares. However, I'd like to point out that being direct and matter-of-fact is not being bitchy, and hormones have nothing to do with that, so that was an odd comment to make.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia "

An excellent blog post against hierarchy in polyamory: http://solopoly.net/2014/10/31/why-i...short-version/

Last edited by nycindie; 05-30-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:43 PM

You call it odd I call it definitely probably considering how thoroughly pointless your reply was. If you don't care what people think why keep going on?

As I said, I was drawing a line, I am surprised that you did not get that. If that was too vague for you I apologise but there you go, now can we end this as I am loathe to engage further in something I am accusing Dirtclusit of.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:53 PM

So much random bickering on the boards, lately... I wish people could just ignore each other if it's not related to the topic at hand, or take it to PM. This sort of back and forth is tiresome and distracting. Gonna take my own advice and not reply if anyone responds to this, I just really wanted to put it out there and this seemed as good a time as any.

To keep things on the topic, I saw my gynecologist today for something unrelated and asked for an STI panel, gave her a list of everything I could think of to test for. We got to talking a little and she mentioned that she's the only doctor in their practice (there are maybe six of them) to routinely test for HSV without being asked when people request STI testing. More than once, women she's treated have found out they have HSV-2 because of that and then have been very upset to find out that there was no way for them to tell when they got it because they weren't being tested for it before, which they hadn't realized. I'll get my results back in a week... actually just a tiny bit nervous now! I know intellectually, as has been pointed out above, that it's just a skin condition, nothing dangerous about it, and that it's treatable... it's the stigma, the same thing the OP is dealing with, that I worry about most, I realize when I really think about it. If we could all collectively get over it, then it wouldn't be a big deal anymore... well, again, as has been pointed out, except for pregnant women...

Last edited by AnnabelMore; 05-30-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post
So much random bickering on the boards, lately... I wish people could just ignore each other if it's not related to the topic at hand, or take it to PM. This sort of back and forth is tiresome and distracting.
Yes it is, thank you for the cyber slap. I totally deserve it. And I will stop.

Quote:
]she's the only doctor in their practice (there are maybe six of them) to routinely test for HSV without being asked when people request STI testing. More than once, women she's treated have found out they have HSV-2 because of that and then have been very upset to find out that there was no way for them to tell when they got it because they weren't being tested for it before, which they hadn't realized.
Someone I know who contracted HSV1 was told by her GP that they simply won't test for it because it is far too common. They won't test at sexual health clinics either for the same reason (I asked last summer).

Quote:
well, again, as has been pointed out, except for pregnant women...
I had a bit of a scare in early pregnancy actually and it has really made me think seriously about the seriousness of the condition and how difficult it can be if you are relying on someone else to be aware of what their body is telling them.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:02 AM

http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/i-hav...-of-the-world/

Really good essay.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:43 PM

Lots of helpful feedback, guys...thanks. Great article, AnnabelMore. I appreciate you posting that. I don't have time to go back and address everything, but a couple of points to make clear:

1) Yes, I intend on disclosing this information with anyone of interest. I've only been faced with it once so far, and had no issue telling her. Stigma or not, I believe the other person has a right to choose based on what he/she knows, and there will be no berating from me. In no way did I throw my date's choice back in her face. I told her I understood...she was very sweet about the whole thing...and we had a terrific rest of the night, not to mention dinner the next night.

2) I'm not going to get into a back and forth about opinions being right or wrong...they're opinions, there *is* no right or wrong, and everyone has them. I'm fully aware that there are many people who wouldn't get anywhere near me. I'm not asking for a pat on the back, sympathy, sugarcoating...because shit happens. Just advice on going forward, others sharing similar stories, etc.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:15 AM

About 3 weeks ago, my hubby met a girl online. they got along well, and exchanged phone numbers. During the first texts or so or maybe a talk on the phone (I don't remember) she told him that she had herpes. He then told me. Our initial reaction was no biggie. IF they remained friends it would not impact either of us. IF they became lovers there would be steps taken to protect him and therefore me.. I have ocular herpes (which is no walk in the park) and I totally understand the stigma that the word brings about, and NO ONE is going to catch herpes from my eye. But a mere mention of the word and people step back ten feet.

Anyway the end result of our conversation was, if she became a relationship/sexual interest, hubby then he would not let that deter him from continuing a relationship with her.