Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 06:51 PM

Default Clearing it up

first off thanks for all the input, you all have given me lots to think about. I need to clear something up, this an all male relationship all 3 are gay. When I started seeing my boyfriend I assumed he wanted monogomy, I was 19 and just started dating, it never entered my mind to have more than one partner. No one demanded anything, and yes he cheated, he sought out another relationship with another guy behind my back, whether they had sex or not it is cheating. Also a side note, personally the lack of sex makes it worse in my eyes, this wasnt a sudden lustful act, it was a more calculated decision. No I don't understand a poly relationship thats why I'm here, to learn about it.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertparty369 View Post
No I don't understand a poly relationship thats why I'm here, to learn about it.
You may be disappointed by the information you find. I say this because, the same things that make a monogamous relationship shitty are the things that will make a poly relationship shitty.

Possessiveness
Lack of personal responsibility
Dishonesty

These are the things that will kill any relationship right out of the gate. I don't care how many people you're dating, if at least one person is behaving this way you can be sure there will be drama.

The only real distinction I would say applies to pretty much all poly relationships is that the tolerance for possessiveness is necessarily less (though only marginally so). Otherwise a poly relationship is going to work or not depending on whether or not the members are mature, loving, patient, and respecting of their partner... just like a monogamous relationship.

Me: male, 40, straight, single