Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 06-11-2009, 02:14 AM

I wasn't aware of a band with the name until you mentioned it. I saw a mention of it online somewhere today.
Old 06-12-2009, 04:24 PM

It's become apparent from other discussions that one term won't fit all partners. In the hierarchy of primary/secondary/tertiary, I'm thinking we can try to find terms to fit each that aren't clinical and don't sound derogatory in any fashion.

As I posted elsewhere in this thread, I think "paramour" works for primaries. For those who differentiate between their levels of involvement, then, what would be a good term for a secondary? A tertiary?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:27 PM

I still can't come up with anything SC.....my wife is still my wife, it would slight her to be called anything else. Paramour, sounds so oldfashioned, I don't think anyone to day would get what it meant. My 2nd I'm sure would feel slighted by being called secondary. So far all I've been able to come up with is "my girls"....even though they are both over 50! "Tribe" won't work, because people envision us living on a reservation, "clan" is so Celtic and none of us is Irish.....maybe I just have to call them "family"?
Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 PM

So, you're in a social situation where you need to introduce the ladies to somebody else. "This is my wife," you say. You then introduce your secondary. "This is my..." what, exactly?

That's one of the questions that needs to be answered, I think. Yeah, "paramour" does sound old-fashioned. There would be some folk who wouldn't recognize it, certainly. I still think it a bit better than "girlfriend."
Old 06-13-2009, 02:50 AM

I'm totally good with being called "boyfriend" in my case, or secondary. But I am also very steadfast in that I do come second to Repeppers husband and son. I take no slight in it. I find it almost humorous introducing Redpepper as my girlfriend though..sounds like I am in high school LOL! Girlfriend is the best I have for now so I'm running with it
Old 06-14-2009, 05:07 PM
Custodian

You could upgrade them from "girls" to "ladies" if you are so inclined. "Girls" sounds a bit juvenile, but it's your lives so whatev...
Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 AM

What about Life Love. I would be happy being called that. Indicates a deep commitment based on expected longetivity and love. I'll run it by Redpepper Let me know what you think!
Old 06-23-2009, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoVCPHG View Post
What about Life Love. I would be happy being called that. Indicates a deep commitment based on expected longetivity and love. I'll run it by Redpepper Let me know what you think!
I like it

I think you could call me that though cause I am good with husband and primary... well I think I am. ?!

Life love suits both of you somehow though... hmmmm.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:36 AM

Husband and primary...makes me sound so important I'm good with anything really..and yes secondary works too!
Life Love for you is better for sure though..and so it will be!!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM

I'm not really sure yet...

Our close friends know the score and know that they are my husband and boyfriend.

However, our living situation is about to change. For simplicity's sake (as we're moving back into the town where my mother and my husband's mother live) I think the boyfriend will be assuming the "roommate" role.

They do refer to each other as "fraternity brothers", but it's very silly and tongue-in-cheek.

Tags
boyfriend, fun, girlfriend, language, lover, relationships, word