Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2013, 07:04 PM

Interest and availability, mostly. Sometimes it depends on who is hosting/organizing/attending the event - if it's people Fly knows and enjoys, I might take him even if the type of event is more up Moonlight's alley, and vice versa.

Also, if it's the type of event where some quality time might be possible, like a wedding where I could dance with her or whatever, I'd probably take Moonlight because I don't see her as much.

And because I'm out to pretty much freaking everyone, I have no shame in begging for a +2 instead.

Family stuff, usually neither goes. Moonlight often has her own family stuff going on during holidays and that kind of thing. Plus, even though my family knows about her, they haven't met her and she's not quite ready for that. Fly just doesn't like family stuff, he doesn't even go to his own family's gatherings most of the time. Usually my date for family parties is Kiddo. My family spoils him, and he loves playing with the other kids.

Punk and I don't typically "attend" things together; when we hang out, it's pretty much just between the two of us.

Anyway, to sum it up, I agree with everyone else - whoever's interested and available and has clean party clothes gets to go.

- Moonlight, single, leans monogamous, girlfriend since 6/2012
- Punk, married guy, poly, FWB since 9/2011 with an emphasis on the "F"
- No longer lives with ex-boyfriend Fly (1/2006 - 12/2013, my introduction to nonmonogamy), and his 9-year-old son Kiddo
Old 05-14-2013, 02:49 PM

Ask everyone -you- would want to go with if they would be interested in going. If more than one, ask if any of them feel at all strongly about being the one to go with you. If still no decision to a single person, battle to the death.

=]
Old 05-15-2013, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
Ask everyone -you- would want to go with if they would be interested in going. If more than one, ask if any of them feel at all strongly about being the one to go with you. If still no decision to a single person, battle to the death.
I have a simpler situation if it's a dance or something simply say thatů I need to have more three or so partners, for my dance moves, and i'm a professional dancer.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosque View Post
I have a simpler situation if it's a dance or something simply say thatů I need to have more three or so partners, for my dance moves, and i'm a professional dancer.
That's neither more simple OR as fun, as a battle to the death.
=]
Old 05-16-2013, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
That's neither more simple OR as fun, as a battle to the death.
how is having one partner simpler no having more than one partner is simpler!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:27 AM

I would first figure out who would enjoy whatever even that is the most, who knows people there, etc, and then see who's available. Then we'd probably talk about it and pick. If a decision couldn't be reached, I'd call and ask if I can bring an extra person, which sometimes is an option (probably not for a wedding since there is so much planning involved, but for lots of other things it's usually fine).
Old 05-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Good points, thank you everyone! I guess this probably won't even be as big of a problem when I'm actually in the situation, it just feels that way now that I've never been in one. I just recently had an event that was important to me, but I was able to bring all three there and that was great. We'll see what happens in a situation where I can only bring one, I'm sure we'll figure it out somehow.

Tags
hypothetical situation