Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 05:35 PM

My friends and I would share guys when we were teens. When ex and I married he met someone and we became a V. I didn't know about poly as a term until a couple years later.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 PM

I found it when I was trying to figure out how to be honest with my partner about who I am. I was just googling around and found the Wikipedia definition. Thank goodness!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 AM

I feel atracted for more than one person at a time since I remember. I was taught by others that "if I love more than one, I love no one", though, and shunned myself for a long time.
I had a lot of guilt feelings about this. When I began my relationship with Peaches we were mono. After a fews years of watching me struggle with atraction for other people, desire to flirt and things like that (I never lied to him and always shared this feelings, even if it was to say I was sorry I felt that way), he showed me a lovely documentary about poly, proposing that we tried non-monogamy so I could pursue my desires and be happy.
Peaches always wanted me happy. Life's a lot better since he did this for me, even in the early years when I did nothing but research and theorize about it.

Things now seem just... right.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:48 AM

I haven't read through all your responses yet, but I feel compelled to answer anyhow. I learned I was poly and learned about poly at the same time, when I "fell for" the man I was supposed to be swinging with. My husband and I briefly experimented with swinging after 20+ years of marriage before we met this couple, both fell for them, and began an exclusive relationship. That was almost two years ago now and we haven't looked back.

I had never really heard of poly before, but I am definitely that. Now that I'm in this quad and love them all, i couldnt change it if I wanted to. And i wouldn't change a thing about how all this has happened to us. But I have to admit that poly found me, not the other way around. I didn't choose it. It chose me. But if I ever find myself in a monogamous relationship again, I think I'd choose to stay that wat! I love our quad, but its a lot of work and sometimes very complicated to be in a poly relationship!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:28 PM

Our first "real" encourage terms with poly was with friends of ours. We have known them for a long time, and always knew she was bi. Originally we thought they only just played with other females but found out in discussion that they were in fact looking for a full time gf for a poly relationship. The other half being bi this last one led to discussions between us about it, as well as research about poly and the lifestyle/community. Low and behold, we found our way here to this amazing community.
While our journey is still pretty young. We have been having a great time so far.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:33 AM

Iíve always felt poly I hope that answers it.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:28 PM

I only recently discovered the 'concept' of polyamory after learning about a local triad, who have become our mentors.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I was always polyamorous because of my potential to fall in love with new people despite being in existing relationships, yet not feeling like the existing relationship was lacking or anywhere near being over. What an emotional strain that was, trying to be monogamous with those feelings!

I tried swinging and FWB but they don't meet my needs. My wife is also poly so we both crave that emotional connection more than just sex.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 AM

It's funny that I actually discovered poly from a very mainstream and mono-dominant relationship forum. Before that, I had a vague idea of what open relationship is, but never thought I could do anything other than monogamy.

So about three years ago, my boyfriend (now husband) introduced me to that forum, and over time, we both became interested in the stories of a few poly posters there. At first I still found it difficult to wrap my head around the idea of poly, but one day, I was struck by a post which described an experience of compersion. It was so beautiful and made a lot of sense to me. I started to realize it's possible to love and be loved by multiple people without jealousy. Meanwhile, I discussed poly with my bf from time to time, and we were both more and more open to the idea. We decided to be poly a few months later and haven't regretted it ever since.

Last edited by Eponine; 05-16-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberRain View Post
watched his roommate crush a can (from bed) across (three feet?) from us, and we both shivered with delight.

Umm... is "crush a can" a euphemism for something? :?
Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Banned

I discovered the concept of polyamory when my freezer started blowing warm air and i had to take out all the food. There, long forgotten under some frost-bitten-then-liquified Edy's lemon popsicles and a tube of Pillsbury shortbread instant cookie-dough, was a small plastic ziplock-baggie with a little note in it that said "monogamy sucks. Drink V-8. Purchase butt-plugs." and other things. I said to myself, "what does this mean" and suddenly the answer became clear:

Refrigerator broken. Add people.

Tags
boundaries, cheating, coming out poly, commitment, defintion, description, descriptions, discovery, dissatisfaction, first time, happiness, history, introduction to poly, learning, mono poly, mono/poly, new to polyamory, opening a relationship, poly, relationship issues, scale