Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 04-14-2013, 03:49 PM

Yeah I am not really sure where the cheating and snooping link came in actually. My point about reading texts/emails/etc has nothing to do with someone checking up on a suspected cheat (though if anyone caught my post on another thread, someone I know did exactly that and got it wrong, plus she was totally inappropriate, unapologetic and very entitled about it all) but in those cases when it is a standard practice between Poly couples especially if the people involved with them are not implicitly aware that this is what they do...

Having been a victim of it myself I DO have an issue with it but the main problem was I did not realise I was essentially talking to an audience, once I was made aware of it, it was less of a problem but to be honest I still did not like it and will not be involved with people who did that again.

Again, this is not a cheaters situation and I don't have any strong opinion on that topic.

Natja
Old 04-14-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatHappened View Post

I said this in another thread recently, but it bears repeating: for me, stumbling into poly via a friend in an open marriage, this is exactly the sort of post that makes me think some people really do see OSOs not as people, but as toys, hobbies, and marital enhancers.

<<<>>>
There is no way in hell I'd be putting my life and opportunities on pause while waiting for a third party to decide where my relationship with BF goes...especially knowing it could happen repeatedly and ultimately be tossed out altogether by her.

Seconded!!! Well said,

N
Old 04-24-2013, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natja View Post
the main problem was I did not realise I was essentially talking to an audience
As far as this is concerned I agree with SC. If it is incredibly important to me to know that anyone other than my intended recipient of a text might be reading it... I need to voice this concern. I'm not sure why I would care that someone was sharing my texts with their friends or lovers unless they were doing so to hurt me (not sure how they'd do that). Then, the fact that they were trying to hurt me would be the problem... not the texts.

As far as my personal phone and computer are concerned, anyone who has the audacity to look through them without my explicit permission to do so (not that I would ever give it) does not meet my qualifications of respecting independence as a virtue. Even if my partner asked me "Mind if I look through your texts on your phone?" they'd get a raised eyebrow and an invitation to explain why they would want to do that. My answer will almost certainly be "no", and depending on their explanation I may instantly begin to reassess my decision to date this person.

Me: male, 40, straight, single

Tags
boundaries, cheating and poly, marriage, nre, trust issues