Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 10:47 PM

Default talking to the kids

Hi everyone.
My husband and I are in a new poly relationship with a wonderful girl. Now that things are progressing in a way that we all are happy with, we are faced with the task of talking to our kids. None of us like the idea of keeping things hidden and we have 8 kids between us... 5 of which are teenaged or close to it. They know something is going on and we want to be Able to be honest and open (to a degree) with them so they arent speculating amongst themselves
So, any suggestions or tips about talking to the kids? Any definite dos or donts? Advice?
Old 04-16-2013, 03:45 PM

I have kids and have faced this dilemma myself.

How I handled it was I was open and honest. I was frank about my boyfriend and I relationship without being sexual.

I explained that Murf was my boyfriend and I loved him and he will be apart of our family. And that I also still loved my husband Butch that nothing was changing between he and I.

My 10 yo son asked how I could have a boyfriend and a husband at the same time. I asked him if he loved both his brothers. He said yes. I then asked him if he loved his brothers the same he said no. I then asked does that mean you love them less he said no. I asked the same question about our dogs. Then asked him to explain the concept back to me. He did... and I told him if he ever had any questions to come talk to me or my husband.

My advice is be honest... Keep sex out of it... be open and allow for questions.
In a V relationship with an average 60/40 split of time. Only due to Murf's and Butch's crappy work schedules.