Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 01:02 AM

If I come here and start "I need help with this" threads, I pretty much need to be told "this is going to end badly."

I generally ask for advice in one of two circumstances:

1: I can't figure out the problem and I might be overlooking something;
2: I have figured out the problem, I don't like the answer I arrived at, and I'm really hoping just this once it's a case of #1.

I am very good at figuring things out. #1 does happen sometimes, but not as often as I'd like. Usually, when #1 does happen and I stop overlooking whatever it was I was overlooking, it becomes #2. Generally, if a problem isn't impossible or at least extremely difficult to solve in a way that I like, I would have solved it already.

If I was smart I would write off dating as something I'm really bad at and give up. However, I figured out pretty early in life that I learn more by being stupid. So, I'm determined to keep trying until I get it right, and then keep trying until I get it right some more.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:03 AM

A DOOM! button would be so awesome. Not helpful in the least but awesome.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:14 AM

I thought so.

Xared, I'm hittin you up when the time comes then cause figuring is not my strength but advice is. Hmm? Coincidence? LOL

OKC Profile

Me: bi, reformed wild-child turned mom and house maid LOL
Crux: straight/hypersexual, possibly mono?
BC: our son, 5 years
CM: second son 9 months.
Mouse: girlfriend! Status new, feelings not so much.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalescent View Post
This is a personal rant. I read folks posting about their situations. And frequently, I think to myself, 'Oh, this is going to end badly for all involved.'
I not only feel that way about almost every situation I've read about but *also* about a majority of the responses they get. It looks to me like a situation fully on fire and people handing them lots of tools with which to make sure the fire is incapable of going out lol

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 03-31-2013, 02:17 AM

Just my personal opinion, but sometimes it's not about fixing that fire but the ones in the future. When I first started here almost 3 years ago our train wrecked before I even knew what was going on. I was given a lot of advice, a lot of tools and a lot of help. Some of it really did help with the situation at hand, some of it couldn't fix the current problem but gave me a new way to look at things and new tools to keep it from happening in the future.

I learned a lot through the help I got on here that not only helps us in our relationships, but day to day stuff too.

So while you may see the train heading for a crash, sometimes it needs to in order to be rebuilt with the new tools and equipment provided.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:19 AM

Default Friends, foes, and food for thought.

I always look for postings that resonate with me - where I feel I have a perspective that might help a person feel supported, heard, or empathized with. I shy away from situations where I have no real life experience. I also find myself jumping in when I feel that someone is being badgered or judged by people with lots of opinions, but little in the way of practical experience.

I have a couple of real-life friends who have disastrous relationships. Listening to their issues, I can see the outcome from fifty miles away. Does this stop me from being a caring, compassionate ear to them? A support system when shit does hit the fan? Nope - it's not difficult for me to accept that we're in different places, and be a friend to them just the same. They can see things about me that I can't see, and vice versa.... And once in awhile I am genuinely surprised by how things turn out - a friend who married a man after knowing him for two months now has three children with him, a business, a home, and they are super committed and in love over a decade later. 'Splain me that!

People surprise me constantly. I say if some posts drive you barmy, skip 'em.