Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 01:55 AM

I realise that is all a whole lot of addition to this here, and could be a lot to read. If you did, thank you. I don't expect any replies on it, as it is a lot to take in about someone you don't know. But I felt it would belong here.

As I believe I already say above, though, please no "helpful advice" comments. As much as I really do appreciate people wanting to help, there is nothing that I will actually find helpful. I will not be offended by such comments, but they will most likely be ignored.
=]
Old 03-23-2013, 03:05 AM

Somegeezer, I have missed your voice here and feel terrible that I never contacted you let you know. This past year was a bleak one for me, and I never thought my life could ever get so low as it did - and believe me, I have had some pretty shitty periods in over 50 years of living! I had to focus on surviving and just getting through each day. And somehow things started turning around, as I put one foot in front of the other and did not give up. I thought about giving up. I thought about leaving this earth. But I didn't, and things are better now.

I have no advice for you. But I will tell you that people here do remember you, and have thought about you, and care about you, even though we don't know you well and are not a part of your life. I have always thought of you as a very mature and wise young person. You have always expressed yourself in a way that told me you are a very loving and sensitive man, who truly cares about people. When times are tough and life becomes bleak, it is so easy to see things, and ourselves, as hopeless and pathetic. I appreciate your blazing honesty. I guess I do have a little bit of advice, actually, and I hope you don't mind my saying it. It is simply: "Don't let the bastards get you down." Whoever and whatever the bastards are. Life will throw all sorts of shit at you, and life is never fair, but you will find a way to get through it and be happy. I am certain of it.

"Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me." ~Bryan Ferry
"Love and the self are one . . ." ~Leo Buscaglia

Click here for a Solo Poly view on hierarchical relationships
Click here to find out why the Polyamorous Misanthrope is feeling disgusted.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Somegeezer, I have missed your voice here and feel terrible that I never contacted you let you know. This past year was a bleak one for me, and I never thought my life could ever get so low as it did - and believe me, I have had some pretty shitty periods in over 50 years of living! I had to focus on surviving and just getting through each day. And somehow things started turning around, as I put one foot in front of the other and did not give up. I thought about giving up. I thought about leaving this earth. But I didn't, and things are better now.

I have no advice for you. But I will tell you that people here do remember you, and have thought about you, and care about you, even though we don't know you well and are not a part of your life. I have always thought of you as a very mature and wise young person. You have always expressed yourself in a way that told me you are a very loving and sensitive man, who truly cares about people. When times are tough and life becomes bleak, it is so easy to see things, and ourselves, as hopeless and pathetic. I appreciate your blazing honesty. I guess I do have a little bit of advice, actually, and I hope you don't mind my saying it. It is simply: "Don't let the bastards get you down." Whoever and whatever the bastards are. Life will throw all sorts of shit at you, and life is never fair, but you will find a way to get through it and be happy. I am certain of it.
Thank you very much, Indie.

My voice misses being here. I just feel I've not had anything to add that hasn't already been said. Saying that, I am usually about facebook, and I do keep my link in the sig. I understand that a lot of people don't use it, and a lot of those who do, like to reserve it for people they know. But for anyone else, I am open to people talking to me there when they fancy it.

Having only 21 years of life under my belt, I do realise that I may have around 80 years ahead of me. Possibly more. Unless I get hit by a bus tomorrow. But I've not found all life can give just yet. So I do still have hope that I can find my way. I just need all the support I can get. As in real support, rather than advice. People who can show me what I need to do. Everyone has their own oath through life, but it doesn't mean that I won't find a lot of things helpful. Especially when I don't learn the way people typically do. I believe that is the biggest thing holding me back right now, and is what I hope to find ways around. Learn how to use my advantages.

It's a shame anyone would think of "leaving the Earth", if you mean it not in the sense of space travel. Though I find myself in low places at times, I cannot imagine ever doing that myself. Always willing to give life a chance, even if I became homeless tomorrow.

It's good to know that there are people here who feel that way about me. and I have heard it quite a bit from people here especially. So it's not surprising, when so many were so very welcoming when I first came by this way. Including yourself.

As for "don't let the bastard get you down", it is an example of the heard it all before advice I meant. As much as it is appreciated, I never do. People couldn't get me down, no matter how hard they tried. Even if highly skilled in manipulation. Only myself being my weakness in that regard. At the same time, that is the kind of thing I'm already working on fixing. Constantly adapting myself to fit the vision of who I wish to be. I'm quite happy with me, mostly. I just need to work on my weaknesses, and defending them, and figuring out how my strengths could help that defense, whilst at the same time, moving me forward.

and life is certainly chaotic. An adventure. I always look forward to it. Distract myself from the bad with the good. =]
=]
Old 03-23-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
As I believe I already say above, though, please no "helpful advice" comments. As much as I really do appreciate people wanting to help, there is nothing that I will actually find helpful. I will not be offended by such comments, but they will most likely be ignored.

No advice here either...just *hugs*. Wishing you better times ahead
Old 03-23-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nouryia View Post
No advice here either...just *hugs*. Wishing you better times ahead
Much thanks. =]
=]
Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 PM

Good to hear from you.

I read your latest posts as I travelled over the weekend. I hope things pick up for you soon.

You mentioned being told often that you are lazy. I wondered if you've ever read this essay? I rather like it and I hope you do too.

http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html

IP
Old 03-27-2013, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitePossibility View Post
Good to hear from you.

I read your latest posts as I travelled over the weekend. I hope things pick up for you soon.

You mentioned being told often that you are lazy. I wondered if you've ever read this essay? I rather like it and I hope you do too.

http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html

IP
I got reading some of it. Couldn't even get a third the way through. Very difficult to read, and I couldn't grasp the point being made.

Perhaps you could give me a clearer image of why you chose to share it?

As for the being called lazy - With my second bit of writing up there, I mention that it is quite probably due to ADD [ADHD-PI]. Whilst inside my mind, I am throwing myself into life, to the point of exhaustion, other people percieve it as me not trying at all.

I think if I can get that affirmed, I will then be able to move on positively from there. Finding ways around it, and using my advantages, to my advantage.
=]
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Perhaps you could give me a clearer image of why you chose to share it?
Of course I can.

In praise of Idleness is a piece of writing that is basically a strong argument against about the idea that we should all spend our time "working hard".

I sent you the link for a few reasons. First - I think that the piece provides some good arguments to throw at people who accuse others of being lazy because they are not seen to be working hard enough (for whatever reason - undiagnosed medical condition as is the possibility with you or lifestyle choice as is my situation).

Second - Bertrand Russell seems to me an appropriate reference for a polyamory site as he is widely recognized as having written supportively about it (although when he was writing the word polyamory wasn't in use I believe). A few of my friends went from reading Bertrand Russell to reading Robert Heinlein and found that the ideas in those works convinced them to be in a number of poly relationships.

Third - I have a bit of a soft spot for Bertrand Russell. I studied philosophy a number of years ago and we spent some time on his (and Noam Chomsky's) ideas about formal languages. I used what I learnt there to argue myself into a job computer programming and I've been earning my living programming ever since. So I tend to think warmly of Bertrand Russell.

Hope this provides some clarity.

IP
Old 03-27-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitePossibility View Post
Of course I can.

In praise of Idleness is a piece of writing that is basically a strong argument against about the idea that we should all spend our time "working hard".

I sent you the link for a few reasons. First - I think that the piece provides some good arguments to throw at people who accuse others of being lazy because they are not seen to be working hard enough (for whatever reason - undiagnosed medical condition as is the possibility with you or lifestyle choice as is my situation).

Second - Bertrand Russell seems to me an appropriate reference for a polyamory site as he is widely recognized as having written supportively about it (although when he was writing the word polyamory wasn't in use I believe). A few of my friends went from reading Bertrand Russell to reading Robert Heinlein and found that the ideas in those works convinced them to be in a number of poly relationships.

Third - I have a bit of a soft spot for Bertrand Russell. I studied philosophy a number of years ago and we spent some time on his (and Noam Chomsky's) ideas about formal languages. I used what I learnt there to argue myself into a job computer programming and I've been earning my living programming ever since. So I tend to think warmly of Bertrand Russell.

Hope this provides some clarity.

IP
I find your third point the most interesting myself.
Studying philosophy for one. Though it may not have a lot of practical use, it's a subject I enjoy.

But the most interesting part, I thought, was arguing yourself into programming. Like, how did you get into programming beforehand? and what kind of argument got you into it as a profession?

Not a programmer myself, but I love computers, and computer languages interest me greatly. One of my goals of life, is to learn some useful language. I was thinking Python would be a good place to start. Seems like a rather pretty, and somewhat simpe language, with a lot of potential.
=]
Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
Though it may not have a lot of practical use, it's a subject I enjoy.
Ach - don't let anybody tell you that philosophy has no practical use. It is enormously useful for all manner of things. I use the things I learned all the time in my work. I've found philosophy useful in dog training, in doing science research and in being able to stand my ground with medical professionals.

Very useful and practical subject in my opinion.

Quote:
Like, how did you get into programming beforehand? and what kind of argument got you into it as a profession?
I didn't get into it beforehand. When I started working in IT, I had used computers for typing up essays with and that was it. I didn't even use the internet or e-mail back then.

But - one of the things I spent time on in my philosophy degree was the philosophy of language. For years and years before computers were around philosophers have looked at language. One of the ways they used to think about meaning was to consider what a language might be like if it operated fully on logical statements and had no ambiguity of meaning.

Philosophers called these things formal languages - and that's exactly what computer programming languages are.

I went into my job interview and talked about having learned formal logic and spent time studying formal languages.

I passed the aptitude test and interviewed fairly well and they took me into the graduate training program.

The company I worked for then wanted their IT staff to have good social skills and be able to talk to customers. They believed that it was easier to teach programming than social skills so there is a bunch of us with no IT background at all working away as systems analysts and programmers.

Quote:
I was thinking Python would be a good place to start. Seems like a rather pretty, and somewhat simpe language, with a lot of potential.
Like I say, I know nothing about computers but a friend of mine who does know his stuff reckons that Python is a good language to learn when starting out.

These guys do free on line courses and use Python for at least some of them. Just in case you're interested.

https://www.udacity.com/courses

IP

Tags
blog, clarity, fresh, life, somegeezer