Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 03-25-2013, 05:00 AM

Default ADHD [General ADHD Talk]

Doing a search on "ADHD" didn't come up with anything specific to it, but rather linked to many threads that had mentioned it somewhere. Including one of my own. So I have decided to start this thread as a very general and broad thread about ADHD and its few incarnations.

I'm no brain doctor, and so am not qualified myself to help anyone, specifically. If anyone does feel they have ADHD and would like help, I suggest seeing your GP, who may be able to point you in the direction of a qualified professional. [I'd hope that those of us who even may be qualified, would say the same.]
I especially will point out that, anything said in this thread, should not be used to help yourself, without the go ahead from said professionals.

That now being said, the point of this thread is to share stories of ADHD, from yourself; people close to you, that you know have gone through it; what kind of things you [or they] may have done, to help your [or their] personal ADHD.
=]
Old 03-25-2013, 05:06 AM

As I'd dislike to take up the OP with my own personal comments, I figure a double post should not be any problem.

But recently, I've come to a realisation that I may have ADHD-PI [Primarily Inattentive - Previously named ADD], and that I have actually been this way since childhood, but slipped by, without anyone noticing.

Of course, my own thoughts on this are before any professional help, and so I may be incorrect. But I feel that if it is ADHD, that I actually have a chance at finding my strengths, and using them to find a fulfilling life, rather than being a lost cause.

Hopefully I can find out soon, and get on my way to getting help.
=]
Old 03-25-2013, 06:33 AM

I was diagnosed back in the day when they were first hammering out the details of it and recognizing it as a diagnosis.

I tried several different medications and I found the overwhelming majority of them to be effective however they had extremely undesirable side effects. The classic Ritalin was the lest egregious in this category however my body adjusted to it so quickly that when I stopped taking it, I was up to nine pills in a day just to get the desired effect.

After a crapton of research and several years of refining the process, I do believe I've come up with a medication solution that works quite well. It does for me, at least. Citicoline. It's over the counter, relatively inexpensive, no side effects (that I've noticed), and works well without clobbering your ability to multitask. I feel much more...normal, I guess would be the best term. I dont feel zombie-like the way I did with the prescription meds. I just feel better able to concentrate.

Several doctors have told me in no uncertain terms that this is incredibly stupid yet have not told me why beyond "you're not a doctor." No one has yet given me a specific medical reason why I should discontinue the treatment, especially when it works so fucking brilliantly.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM

Every single person in our household is diagnosed.

The best helpful info I have found was a couple books by Dr. hallowell. (theres a website too).
Talks about 8 steps for managing ADD, including-but not limited to medication.

2 of us are primarily inattentive, 2hyperactive and 1is primarily impulsive.

It has made a HUGE difference (to the better) knowing what each of our weaknesses are and each of our strngths.

(typing on cell-sorry about spelling)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:13 AM

I remember they were kicking around the idea of not diagnosing ADD in young children anymore, anyone know what happened with that?

The argument was (and frankly I agree) that ADD is often misdiagnosed in kids who are just naturally more energetic than peers or who have other issues going on that arent as developmentally seated.

It doesn't help that the popular idea of ADD tends to warp people's perception of it.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."
Old 03-26-2013, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I remember they were kicking around the idea of not diagnosing ADD in young children anymore, anyone know what happened with that?

The argument was (and frankly I agree) that ADD is often misdiagnosed in kids who are just naturally more energetic than peers or who have other issues going on that arent as developmentally seated.

It doesn't help that the popular idea of ADD tends to warp people's perception of it.
People are very wary of diagnosing them as easily these days. There are specific ages [I can't remember which] between which, you are able to get accurate answers. But both young children, and even adults, can be difficult to diagnose.

Plus more than half of those who have it s children grow out of it before adulthood. So it's a difficult thing to keep track of. Those who diagnose it, have to be highly skilled in the field. Generally, you'll find that ADHD is their specialty. and you'll certainly never have a GP diagnose it.

I've heard it actually takes a lot of testing too. Just to make sure it's definitely not something else, like anxiety or depression. Because those are much easier to diagnose.
=]
Old 03-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Great tidbit-
An hour of aerobic activity does for attention/hyperactivy what a 4 hr dose of ritalin does.

So even if ur kid is diagnosed-seek alternatives. Some of them rock.

We send our 5 year old to run the fence line (1/2 acre fenced). She times herself and tries to accomplish weird tricks like jumping over a log or doing a somersault along the way. The dog lOves having her to run with.
Then she comes in and knocks out an hour of school work with no issues.
Repeat.

The 13 year old and I get up and hit the gym before class. In the afternoon he will chop wood, run the fence line, practice unicycle, bike to the library (3miles) etc. (not all of them every day-just examples).
Old 03-27-2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingRadiance View Post
Great tidbit-
An hour of aerobic activity does for attention/hyperactivy what a 4 hr dose of ritalin does.

So even if ur kid is diagnosed-seek alternatives. Some of them rock.

We send our 5 year old to run the fence line (1/2 acre fenced). She times herself and tries to accomplish weird tricks like jumping over a log or doing a somersault along the way. The dog lOves having her to run with.
Then she comes in and knocks out an hour of school work with no issues.
Repeat.

The 13 year old and I get up and hit the gym before class. In the afternoon he will chop wood, run the fence line, practice unicycle, bike to the library (3miles) etc. (not all of them every day-just examples).
I've definitely heard of exercise being a great help. But for me, it would be choosing something that could keep my attention in the first place. Something I wouldn't give up on after 10 minutes.

I think if I could find something, that would be great though. Especially as I hate to medicate myself. I don't even enjoy paracetamol [or aspirin, I believe is more common over the ocean], when I have killer headaches. I just soldier on through.

So any alternative means, that anyone could do without medical advice, I think are safe to share.
=]
Old 03-27-2013, 03:20 AM

I've been seeing some studies lately, linking ADHD and associated behaviours with artificial colouring. There have been reported cases (I'm no expert) where parents have cut out artificial colouring completely, and their problems completely disappeared.

Anyone have experience with this? I figure, at the very least, it sure can't hurt to try.

On a related note, there was a woman on CBC Radio last week who'd been diagnosed with MS in her early teens. She was told that she'd be in a wheelchair by the time she was 25. She's now in her 40s and doesn't have a single symptom. She credits her health to cutting out all processed food, artificial colours and flavours.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 03-27-2013, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somegeezer View Post
I don't even enjoy paracetamol [or aspirin, I believe is more common over the ocean]
Aspirin is acetylsalicylic acid. Google informs me that paracetamol is acetaminophen (aka Tylenol.) I thought you were talking about some crazy narcotic... I didn't realize acetaminophen wasn't the official name for the stuff... learn something new every day! I want to start calling it paracetamol now, but no one around here would know what I'm talking about. I'm not even sure I could remember it when I want to sound all clever and stuff.

Aspirin is cool. It grows on willow bark. Humans have been using it since the hunter-gatherer days. You can rub it on your skin and use it as sunscreen. We synthesized it in 2nd year organic chemistry. I hated the class, but the labs were fun.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."

Tags
add, adhd, health, mental