Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Introductions

Notices

Old 03-18-2013, 02:53 PM

Default coming out on the other side...

hello! i really appreciate this forum for all the life stories and experiences that help me through the process of my own poly journey.

so, a brief introduction: i'm a woman in her early thirties, i am very interested in self development and letting go of fears that hold me back. i am amazed by how my opinions and views can change so dramatically as i learn about new ideas and am challenged in different directions. this quote sums it up nicely:

"a single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. to live is to be slowly born." - antoine de saint-exupery

after a 2,5 year long relationship with someone (starting off madly in love but after some time running into some problems in communication and feeling pressure from expectations) he brought up the subject of polyamory. i was familiar with the concept through friends who are poly but did not think it was for me. but i wanted to understand and so i did a LOT of research. and found that the ideas actually resonated with me.

and so we agreed to open up our relationship. this was a couple of months ago. it has been an intense journey with many tears and exhaustion from going through emotions and facing old demons. but also a lot of pride in how i handled the changes and of course excitement from getting to know new people.

i will not go into further detail about what happened between us, saving that for a blog post i think, but at the moment our relationship is more of a friendship than a romantic relationship. this is partly because he overstepped some boundaries and i feel disappointed in him. but i would do it all over again because i have learnt so much. i feel so much freer in how i relate to other people, especially women. knowing that i do not need to fear them but that there is enough love to go around! it feels great to be out on the other side!
Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 PM

I think that's the biggest change to make: to give up ownership of another person and not be afraid of others in your relationship.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 PM
Official Greeter

Hi cinnamonswing,
Welcome to our forum.

Sorry to hear you had a semi-break-up with your partner, but it sounds like things worked out for the best. I'm glad this site has been helpful to you so far, and hope it continues to be.

Great to have you aboard.
Sincerely,
Kevin T.