Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepper View Post
Sorry I quoted my whole post, I'm on my phone, its just easier.

I was just thinking, this summer when we all went to pride I felt strong and proud and full of confidence. I'm bound and determined to be so again and I will be! Damn it!
I have no doubt..I'll be with you this year as well.

Playing the Game of Life with Monopoly rules.
Monogamy might just be in my genes

Poly Events All Over
Old 01-08-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryIllusion View Post

What I did say...and what I actually meant by it:
I do assume LR has both made the transition to become a parent, and also understands what I did say... although I must confess to be a little confused about the metaphor.

Juggling baby geese is one thing...but I’m not so sure about juggling kids...and even less so if they were lit on fire first. I can’t get mine to sit still long enough for pictures. It’s all just making for weird mental images.

Becoming a parent is one of those experiences capable of such change.
Similar to puberty, it can involve not only physical changes, but psychological, and physiological changes. There are chemical and hormonal devices to bond children to their parents, particularly the mothers. These devices, these bonds are natural, instinctual, base, a product of our evolution, and they sometimes defy the rational mind. Yes, parents can be a little crazy…especially the mothers. There is a reason you don’t mess with a bear cub in the mountains...because Mother Bear is a force of nature not to be trifled with, and fundamentally humans don’t differ a huge amount in this respect.

However, I would bet that if you became a parent, …active, raising the kid in your home 24/7 parent, something about the way you make decisions will change. Seriously…if you make it to the kid’s 5th birthday, do your soul searching, and can’t find any decision you’ve made as a mother that you wouldn’t have made, or evaluated differently when you were not a mother, I’ll buy you dinner.
DAMN! No dinner for me.

My point was that life is a game of juggling our responsibilities and priorities, but when you also have kids every decision you make becomes significantly more dangerous (like juggling burning objects).
(My kids won't sit still for pictures either and one is already technically an adult!)
Old 01-08-2010, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaginaryIllusion View Post
[B]
This is simply one of the most brilliant things I’ve ever heard or read. It speaks to something I think is just a plain truth.

In this particular context of addressing non-parents (and I would gladly remodel this for dozens of contexts…it’s that versatile), I would simply paraphrase it to say, who do you think understands the experiences and challenges of being a parent? You, or those who have time-in as parents?
Thank you II.
I think you summed up a lot of the feelings and frustrations in your.... lengthy article?

There are many parts of parenting my sister understands personally-as she's been by my side raising my children from the first day.
But there are many she can't, because those babies didn't come from her body and something that connects a mother to a child that comes from her womb. I don't know what it would be called-but it's there.
I don't have THAT connection with my stepson or my Godchildren. It's something you only have with a child borne of your body.

It does NOT negate or impact love for a child-ANYONE can have that deep abiding love for a child.
It's just something altogether different.

Tags
acceptance, children, community, differences, disrespect, kids, prejudice, respect, rights