Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 02-23-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
This is NOT the quote, but I [MFFR] want to recommend that you go back and read it all.
BoringGuy, I've caught you out! You're a FAKE! You're not boring at all! Own up! Fascinating stuff...
- old Chinese proverb
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
~ Anais Nin
I'd rather have a broken heart / Than have a heart of stone.
- from "Boundless Love (A Polyamory Song)" by Jimmy Hollis i Dickson
Old 02-23-2013, 07:42 PM
Banned

It is not that it "can" or "can't" work. Of course "it" CAN and HAS "worked". What people seem to have trouble understanding is that you can't FORCE something like this ("this" = polyfidelitous/equal/ffm/mfm/mff triad unicorn-utopia) to happen. these Poly Couples are like, "OK, we're READY. We. ARE. Ready. READY, we say! ISN'T THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE? CAN U HEAR ME? WE DECIDED TO HAVE A TRIAD AND WE NEED A BISEXUAL FEMALE! ANYONE? ANYONE???? BUELLER??? ...oh fuck it. there aren't any poly bi women around here. Hey, forum! How do we meet poly people? We can't find ANY poly people where we live. Especially bisexual female poly people. HELP! Oh, and they can't be smokers or fat or eat red meat, and they can only have sex with one of us if the other can participate too or at least watch. We don't want anyone to get jealous. Form an orderly queue, and fill out this intake form so we can screen you for compatibility."

"Why is it so hard to find other poly people?"
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFarFromRight View Post
BoringGuy, I've caught you out! You're a FAKE! You're not boring at all! Own up! Fascinating stuff...
what is it you are asking me exactly? what ddo you wwant to know?
Old 02-23-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
" as I have seen enough "poly couples" who think they are so tuned in to each other they might as well be one person instead of two. I mean, it isn't a crime to feel that way about each other, but it is a little creepy and off-putting when you take it out into public and try to find another person whom you expect to hitch their planet onto your solar system. The original "poly couple" gets to be the sun, and everyone else is just a planet?
This!!!

I have seen this in ads also.....with terminology like "We are looking for our other half..."

What??? So the two of them are a half?
And the amount of them who say they are looking for 'the right fit' also is astounding....

I wrote to a couple the other day who profiled that "We are not looking for an addition that will challenge or disrupt our environment."
The reply back was 'we only want the right fit, we won't settle for less" (plus some other stuff about how attractive they are and the fact that their relationship is SO spot on and perfect that they know exactly what they are doing.....).

Gaaaaah!!!! *bangs head on wall*
Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natja View Post
This!!!

I have seen this in ads also.....with terminology like "We are looking for our other half..."

What??? So the two of them are a half?
And the amount of them who say they are looking for 'the right fit' also is astounding....

I wrote to a couple the other day who profiled that "We are not looking for an addition that will challenge or disrupt our environment."
The reply back was 'we only want the right fit, we won't settle for less" (plus some other stuff about how attractive they are and the fact that their relationship is SO spot on and perfect that they know exactly what they are doing.....).

Gaaaaah!!!! *bangs head on wall*
what was the reason you wrote to them? was it to respond to their search, or did you just want to quiz them about what that phraseology was supposed to mean out of intellectual curiosity?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
or did you just want to quiz them about what that phraseology was supposed to mean out of intellectual curiosity?
Ermmm, yeah, that was it.....(to be honest what they wrote was much worse than I feel comfortable copying) let's say I suggested they edit.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:53 AM

Red face Correcting or deflecting?

As a newbie, and I apologize if I step on toes but, we're new.

Kindly directing us on a better approach is much better than mocking our inability to have it right the first time. I've felt attacked before and it doesn't mean I didn't appreciate the correction but mistakes are mistakes and we all have to start somewhere right?

OKC Profile

Me: bi, reformed wild-child turned mom and house maid LOL
Crux: straight/hypersexual, possibly mono?
BC: our son, 5 years
CM: second son 9 months.
Mouse: girlfriend! Status new, feelings not so much.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:10 AM

Malfunktions, there are plenty (plenty) of threads (on here, PMM, PP and myriad poly blogs) with suggestions of what not to do, they are often not listened to, hence why people get frustrated. As I wrote in my example (again, it was worse than that, very arrogant, very objectifying) my email to them was not mocking, that would have been counter to my purpose, still the response I received was 'I know what I am doing, you don't know us or what is right for us'. Then they swanned off and deleted. This happens a lot, so you need to understand that for people around for a long time, it can get frustrating and being patient only goes so far.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:52 PM

I do understand, and I'm not saying I'm not guilty of doing the same thing. I made a similar if not a little nicer post when I first came to the site, which I'm realizing was potentially unattainable and will be removing later.
After doing a lot of research and coming to the realization that I ave no idea what I'm doing I hope that I do not repeat the above mention faux pas.

As a senior member for a military youth organization I have found healthy and constructive criticism goes a long way. Hopefully everyone can adapt to the guidelines and poly-etiquette. There a lot to know/learn/act to be appropriate.

OKC Profile

Me: bi, reformed wild-child turned mom and house maid LOL
Crux: straight/hypersexual, possibly mono?
BC: our son, 5 years
CM: second son 9 months.
Mouse: girlfriend! Status new, feelings not so much.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 PM

Default Possibly helpful links

I have already posted in here as to my position on "adding a third" etc, but I found a blog I found useful a while back. I was looking for information about something different, but I took the time to read the posts, and found it quite interesting.

http://polytripod.blogspot.ca/2012/1...rs-part-1.html
http://polytripod.blogspot.ca/2012/1...rs-part-2.html
http://polytripod.blogspot.ca/2012/1...rt-3_7409.html
http://polytripod.blogspot.ca/2012/1...rt-3_7409.html

While I don't hold with everything that is discussed, the general ideas are relatively sound. Worth a look if you haven't seen it before. It has more to do with the "practice" of adding, UH, etc, than it does with the "execution" but still could be helpful to some.

Tim

Tags
couple dating, triad, triads, unicorn, unicorn hunter, unicorn hunting, unicorns