Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
It seems like there's two norms for the poly community . . .
What poly community?

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 02-05-2013, 03:36 PM

We're kind of a hodge-podge of things. Wife and I are both 34 and live in the 'burbs, though we'd be more at home in Minneapolis as opposed to just outside of it. No kids. Bikers. Jocks (still play sports competitively and work out regularly). Nerds in that we're gamers and love games like Settlers or Dominion. Don't watch much TV at all, but what we do includes: Downton Abby, Dexter, Project Runway, Tosh.0 and Top Gear. We're both in design fields. We tend to be "well dressed" but nothing over the top or out of the norm for professionals our age.

But yeah...most poly people we've met in person (which is limited) have been more of the hippie variety. Lol
Old 02-07-2013, 02:32 AM

We're middle-aged (40s) boring tuna-helper eating suburban parents with two kids in elementary school. I'm a stay-home mom, on the PTA board and chair of a handful of committees, and work PT at my kids' school. Husband is a self-employed computer geek who just got elected as an elder at church and is now getting sucked into all sorts of meetings and events, ha ha.

Aside from the (new) poly way of life, the only really interesting thing about the two of us is that we were both in the Peace Corps after college.

Last edited by bobcat725; 02-07-2013 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:14 PM

We've met a lot of hippies, academics and gamers in our local community, but there is definitely a wide range of "types."

My husband and I... we used to qualify as borderline hipsters but then we had a kid and now generally get pigeonholed as hippies. But not touchy-feely hippies, or pot-smoking hippies... more that we are environmentalists, liberals, we homeschool our daughter, garden, compost, have urban chickens and live in a tiny house. Most days you wouldn't be able to pick me out of a crowd as a hippie... though I generally dress like a Bohemian. My husband just wears expensive jeans and Threadless t-shirts.

Oh and we are both in the arts. DH in the film industry; I'm a writer.