Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 02:43 PM

Smile Sometimes someone doesn't send the awful, canned message.

This guy gets bonus points.

Quote:
Saying you've never been to a rock concert--and doing so in a way that is inviting (daring?) someone to ask you to one on a date--makes it basically a necessity that I write you. Not on it's own, of course. But you appear to be interesting, and cute, and are poly with a primary partner (therefore not looking for a primary partner, which I am not up for at the moment)--but looking for a relationship/friendship not just random sex. Those are all kind of pre-requisites (well, poly isn't necessarily, but it makes the not-looking-for-primary thing a whole lot more likely/workable).

So, add to that stuff the opportunity to take you to see your first live rock band play, and it was basically like a cross between a gauntlet being thrown down and a handkerchief being dropped. Which is a most excellent metaphorical hybrid, and I compliment you on it.

Now I have to start keeping my eye out for good shows coming up, and hope the timing coincides with when our written correspondence reaches (if it does) a point where you'd like to meet...
Old 02-05-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia View Post
This guy gets bonus points.
Oh, hell yes! Very clever and a good writer. His message is definitely worth a response, at least for now. Keep us posted, that's a good one.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 02-10-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeraReed View Post
A man treated well could have baboon strength for you.
Soooooo ironic, since baboons have a completely non-monogamous mating style. Any male can mate with any female in the group. The males will dote on the females to try and win their affection, but that won't make the females "faithful" to them. There is a group mentality to protect all offspring, regardless of paternity, to the point where males will grab a random infant to protect themselves in a fight, since no one will risk harming the baby...

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 02-11-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
Soooooo ironic, since baboons have a completely non-monogamous mating style. Any male can mate with any female in the group. The males will dote on the females to try and win their affection, but that won't make the females "faithful" to them. There is a group mentality to protect all offspring, regardless of paternity, to the point where males will grab a random infant to protect themselves in a fight, since no one will risk harming the baby...
I know! I thought of replying to him with a lecture on various primate mating strategies...then I remembered I have better things to do
Old 02-12-2013, 01:39 AM

Not a specific message... but why is it that when I recently changed my status to "looking for new friends, long-distance penpals" I've suddenly been receiving a huge increase in messages?

Hmm... I also took off that picture of me wearing a tinfoil hat and looking pensive. Maybe the Crazy was keeping them at bay...

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 02-12-2013, 06:47 AM

I'm guessing you changed your status and therefore became a "new" match for some people, and so they contacted you?
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM

Oh dear lord.

This guy PMs me

Quote:
smiles
I happened to be on, so I checked his profile. While I was looking at it (cute, 31, from NYC, likes jazz and good books, proessional) he PMs me again:

Quote:
I appreciate a woman who knows ao clearly what she wants.
So, I write back:

Quote:
Well, thanks. Surely when one reaches ones 50s, one should know what the fuck she wants.
So he writes immediately:

Quote:
agreed
allow yourself to be: indulged then
I write back:

Quote:
What do you mean?
his response:

Quote:
I mean
it is friday morning
I am in LA
walk to your bed
tell me your number
allow yourself
Can you believe it? So I write back:

Quote:
Oh, where did you get the idea what I want is phone sex with a stranger? lol
I could have been a lot ruder, but I am nice like that.

*shakes head*

He didn't respond after I lol'ed at him.
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32
Old 02-23-2013, 01:04 AM

I've seen sexier "Engrish".

Why can't people use full and proper sentences? Nothing turns me off on someone faster then looking at how they communicate and seeing lots of abbreviations and single letters for whole words. I know it's supposed to be "txt speak" but if you want me to take you seriously as a potential partner you need to use full words and sentences like a big girl/boy.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:43 AM

RE: "Allow yourself", "indulge yourself"

I hear language like that a lot from a certain type of online-sex-seeking guy. It disturbs me because it implies that men think that women need a man to convince them / give them permission to do something naughty.

Ugh.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeraReed View Post
RE: "Allow yourself", "indulge yourself"

I hear language like that a lot from a certain type of online-sex-seeking guy. It disturbs me because it implies that men think that women need a man to convince them / give them permission to do something naughty.

Ugh.
True!

One of the latest:

Quote:
Hi i like your pictures and especially the one with a bit of cleavage showing.

So how are you?
Oy! Is that all he's got, really? Would he go up to a woman in a bar and say, I like your cleavage? These guys are in their 30s. Why do they sound 12?
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 58, living with:
miss pixi, 37, who is dating (NRE):
Master, 32

Tags
communication, online dating