Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 06:21 PM

Default Any "straight laced" folks on here?

Hey Guys,

We have been on here for a while and we are wondering if there are other professional, fashion-loving, "straight-laced" folks on here. The stereotype is that poly folks are goth or a little odd. That's what we hear anyway. I'm sure there are all types out there, from the gamers, to the nerdoids and dweebs, to the suburban soccer moms and dads.

Can you describe your "style" if you have one.

We are just curious.

We will start. We are both professionals. Love nice clothes and foods. And look very "normal" if you saw us on the street.

What about you guys?

PS No offense is meant by this question. Sorry if any is taken.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by threesnocrowd View Post
What about you guys?
I have not noticed a trend when it comes to the style poly folk. We probably have the same percentage of goth/jock/nerd/yuppie as the monogamous population.

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 PM

My partner and I are farmers. Given the rural area we live in, we look perfectly normal in jeans with dirt-encrusted knees and baggy sweatshirts with pouches full of tools. We wouldn't know fashion if it hit us over the head with a rolled up Vogue magazine.
Your question makes me wonder if you are asking if there is an ethical non-monogamy version of gaydar. I'm so new here I have no idea, but I tend to doubt there is. :-)
Old 01-29-2013, 07:50 PM

I'm a business owner and professional, my husband is blue-collar. Married 20+ years, we're very responsible and live the "typical" middle-class lifestyle...or at least what likely appears that way from outward appearances. The couple we are involved with are both professionals as well. We all dress well (but casually), enjoy eating out, enjoy travel, and do all the "normal" things friends do together...ski, hike, spend holidays together, go to movies, camping, etc. Though none of us would fit well into the corporate world, that is more of a matter of our attitudes and independence than our style or the way we present ourselves. We're all just the "couple next door." Nobody would ever guess.

I don't really know any other poly people. Just us. So, I'm not really sure if we're the norm or not.

Last edited by 1of4; 01-29-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 PM

I definitely fall into the "little odd" category. A little goth influence in my personal style, very queer and proud, geeky, don't shave my legs, used to have a mohawk, couldn't care less about what's fashionable or popular, spend some of my time slumming it with punks in squat houses. At the same time, I'm a young urban professional, I work for the local municipal government, have my own office with a door.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM

I don't really thing of myself a poly, but open.

I am a successful poet and disability activist. I consider myself "the norm" for a poet. I'm not a corporate person, nor in academia, but I spend my life reading and writing. I am totally interested in fashion. I live in NY and love Bill Cummingham and Anna Winthrop. I am a regular Times style section reader...my own style is quirky and sloppy - dresses over pants- that sort of thing.

My family is considered "eccentric" but primarily because I have a disability and am an intellectual and my son constantly sings show tunes, and we have way to many pets. We don't fit in the corporate world, and certainly don't listen to joy division, but I think in the realm of Brooklyn/artist we fit in.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:30 PM
Banned

I'm boring, and sometimes I wear pajamas when i go out of the house.

Are there any other poly people like me?
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM

I rode bulls and the wife raced barrels and now we generally farm, raise dairy cows. You'll seldom find us not in wranglers and boots! Lol
Not sure what fashion consists of nowdays but we were what suits us!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post
I definitely fall into the "little odd" category. A little goth influence in my personal style, very queer and proud, geeky, don't shave my legs, used to have a mohawk, couldn't care less about what's fashionable or popular, spend some of my time slumming it with punks in squat houses. At the same time, I'm a young urban professional, I work for the local municipal government, have my own office with a door.
So much love to all the things you listed. Love being geeky and queer and proud and hairy.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
So much love to all the things you listed. Love being geeky and queer and proud and hairy.
Yay! <3