Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Poly Relationships Corner

Notices

Old 01-17-2013, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyankh View Post
"assertive, aggressive, dominate me, tear my clothes off, handcuff me, take me more forcefully, etc." as one of you suggested...and he admittedly just can't do it. It makes him uncomfortable. (And I am able to get this with my boyfriend). He has a low self esteem which just keeps getting worse and then he had no confidence and then I have a lot of trouble being turned on by this...
I would phrase it to him as "this is what I need to get off. That's about me, not you. My sexual needs, not your ability to perform. But if satisfying me is something that's important to you, then these are the skills you need to learn."

I can relate to him as dominating doesn't come naturally be me either. I have to psych myself up for it and really put myself in someone else's shoes. But it's worth it. That's the only way to get my husband to moan and groan. That's how he is. "My" inability to get him of with vanilla has nothing to do with my ability to stimulate, and everything with his ability to be stimulated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneintherain View Post
I think there's an unhealthy amount of responsibility being put on your husband here to suddenly change after years to be something else, I'm sure he feels the pressure and so of course his self esteem is going to keep taking a beating.
Good point. When I'm not already in the mood, nothing anyone else does will get me there. Maybe, with you now expecting it not to work, you've failed before you've even stated.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 01-18-2013, 04:48 AM

Quote:
We are always trying new things...but so far no luck. I just have so much trouble getting hot enough to come...and he is not going to feel better until he can make me come.
Why is orgasm the goal? Why is you having an orgasm the only thing that makes the Shared Sex "successful" to him?

So odd to me. I tend to think the goal of a good Sex Share is to Share!

If orgasm is the goal I can always roll over and masturbate and get off. Presto! It's not like I need a partner to cum. Sharing sex with a partner is to enjoy being with the partner to me.

Quote:
He has a low self esteem which just keeps getting worse and then he had no confidence and then I have a lot of trouble being turned on by this...which just perpetuates the problem.
Well, if there's bad self esteem -- what's he plan to do to work on it?

If DH is dependent on your for everything maybe there's the other thing -- it isn't him "sharing" himself so much as you doing all the work? You aren't being gifted his Sex Share in a close intimate time. But more like... clocking time? And who wants that? To feel like you are servicing him rather than enjoying a good Sex Share with partner you desire and are turned on by?

How does HE want to share himself in sex? How does HE want to deal with his self esteem bucket of issues?

I don't see how pulling away from each other will solve anything. Keep trying to come together and share the time, not avoid it due to lack of orgasm!

Quote:
I know if we spent more time together it would be easier, but his job takes him 6 days a week, all day.
Well, that is a limitation you presently both have to deal with. The limit of the job taking up so much time.

Try to relax and have fun with each other. Give him something new to think about. He's not up for "rough stuff" so perhaps this could honor that for him but could be intense enough for you...

Since you want to explore new things, and you got the lube out already, and he wants to make you cum and you are thinking about kink -- how about exploring "A Hand in the Bush?" with him? It's slow, intimate edge play of another kind.

Learning to do that together might increase your hotness for him and his self esteem in his sex skills.

I don't know if that floats your boat but if it does? Make a date for Target -- get the gloves, a small mister bottle for water to spray and reactivate the lube and hit the baby aisle for a waterproof bassinet liner to sit on when you are in bed exploring this. Because if you both learn it to where you go and jill, it goes all over. Hello, laundry!

I can't imagine he would not be impressed with the "Wow! I helped her do that!" A nice boost to the esteem and since BF gets you off so many other ways, something you could save as a special thing for just DH.

HTH!
Galagirl

Last edited by GalaGirl; 01-18-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaGirl View Post
Why is orgasm the goal? Why is you having an orgasm the only thing that makes the Shared Sex "successful" to him?
I agree, both of you might take a look at your assumptions regarding what is a functional romantic life. One of the benefits of a non-traditional relationship is that no one person is responsible for all of our romantic desires/needs. We also have the ability to be reasonable about the fluctuations our relationship might go through over time.

It sounds like your husband is in a bit of a rut; it happens. The first thing he will want to do is get over (entirely) his insistence on your orgasm and wetness. It doesn't matter if you "always used to" orgasm with him or not, because that is not the way it is now. Sex should be enjoyed and shared, if it's work then you are officially doing it wrong. One great way to scare off an orgasm is to be overly concerned about its arrival. I say, stop worrying about what you don't have and work with what you do have.

Me: male, 40, straight, single
Old 01-18-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anneintherain View Post
I dont think its my partners job to arouse my body, it's largely mine, and my minds, and it sounds like you have some wrangling of your mind to do to get it back on track to take control of your own pleasure.
I like this idea. I will keep it in mind, no pun intended

I do not wish to attach to any particular person. My love knows no limits.
Old 01-19-2013, 01:19 AM

Default Gestalt

I'm going to respond to my "gestalt" of this thread, as opposed to specific quotes.

#1.) Give it time. NRE lasts 6 months to two years. Until you are past that and things have "settled down" things are still in flux.

Attention waxes and wanes. When I got together with Dude I was hot for him all the time - he was "new and shiny" and I had a huge store of "horny" saved up! Now? (two years in). I have sex with Dude all the time. Sex with MrS is no more frequent, but, because of its infrequency, is much more "wetness"-inducing.

#2.) YOU are responsible for getting your needs met...even if it means doing it yourself.

I really like the suggestion that you add toys to your play. There is nothing wrong with lubes/toys. Get yourself close and then get him to "finish" you...or let him have his fun then "finish" yourself. Make him watch you get yourself off and not "let" him participate...etc.

#3.) It is OK to give someone a "gift" of sex...if you want to.

I'm not saying that you should do anything that makes you uncomfortable! BUT, I can give my boyfriend a blowjob because HE will enjoy it, even if I am not turned on by the act itself - I still enjoy HIS enjoyment. Sometimes I get "oral favors" because I LIKE that, even if there is no reciprocal activity. Yes, it's great when sexual activity is mutually sexually satisfactory...but it is actually okay for the attention to be one-sided if everyone is happy with that.
Lotus: poly bi female, "it's complicated" relationships with Dude/JaneQ/MrS (1+ years)
TT: poly bi male, married to Lotus, FB with JaneQ
VV and MsJ: bi-women with male primaries, LTR LDR FWBs to JaneQ

My poly blogs here:
The Journey of JaneQSmythe
The Notebook of JaneQSmythe
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 AM

I realize this thread has been dormant for 7 months, but I wonder how things have gone for her?

Also, I second this advice from GalaGirl regarding exploring fisting. I have worked towards fisting a little bit with a woman that I'm dating, and while she can't fit my whole hand in yet, she really really enjoys lots of fingers pressing into her front wall and cums hard while she rubs her clit at the same time. That helped me to get out of a rut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaGirl View Post
Since you want to explore new things, and you got the lube out already, and he wants to make you cum and you are thinking about kink -- how about exploring "A Hand in the Bush?" with him? It's slow, intimate edge play of another kind.

Learning to do that together might increase your hotness for him and his self esteem in his sex skills.
I also heard the woman I'm dating cum and scream louder than any woman I've been with, including her, while she was with her other boyfriend. That knocked the wind out of me even though I already had a cuckold fetish, which was a surprise to me. She was curious about me being dominant and aggressive as well, but I only pulled it off a few times. I felt out of place. A huge part of it was how I saw/see myself relative to her other partners.

We started to use cuckold fantasy play to help us. It worked regarding arousal and me beginning to feel compersion, but it is tough at times to keep your balance with this fetish and polyamory.

Anyway, after some months I we moved on and explored other things, nothing spectacular and forgot about cuckolding for a bit. Now, she has a new partner who she has a ton of sex with. This trans male person has a bigger cock and is definitely better than me at oral, and he's one hell of a fun party person. We've pulled out the cuckold fetish again as it helps me get in a mindset for compersion rather than competing.

Anyway, I'm in no frame of mind to give overall advice, but it does seem like this couple's situation is the exact arrangement that husbands into the cuckold fetish would like to be in. To top it off, she said that she did enjoy dominating him a bit when they tried her as the dominant. Also, she is more dominant is other areas of life. Well, I'm really curious as to how they are doing.

Last edited by Vexxed; 08-19-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:40 PM

So this was a year ago? I'm curious how things have worked out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
he sounds like more of a gentle, loving yet somewhat dependent person. So, maybe you want him to be more assertive, aggressive. Ask him to dominate you, tear your clothes off, handcuff you, take you more forcefully, etc.
As a gentle, cuddly, loving, vanilla-horny man with low self-esteem, this would probably not work out well. One girl did get me to be more aggressive with her by being playfully aggressive with me first. Biting me or pinching me so that I had to hold her down to prevent it, etc. But expecting me to turn into a dom overnight is not going to happen. I won't do it right and will feel even more insecure when I fail.

BDSM is a negative, uncomfortable thing to me, whereas playful wrestling is positive and fun, and can result in some of the same situations? Depends whether the thrill is from being physically overpowered or from being in actual danger, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyankh View Post
We are going to do what ever it takes. We have always been open and communicating about this issue.
Good attitude!

Quote:
that I would like him to be more "assertive, aggressive, dominate me, tear my clothes off, handcuff me, take me more forcefully, etc." as one of you suggested...and he admittedly just can't do it. It makes him uncomfortable.
Yep.

Quote:
He has a low self esteem which just keeps getting worse and then he had no confidence and then I have a lot of trouble being turned on by this...which just perpetuates the problem.
Yep. But this cycle, can you help to reverse it? Are you giving him positive reinforcement when he does something right, instead of only negative reinforcement when he doesn't please you? Do you tell him he's hot, even if you don't 100% believe it? Maybe it will make him feel more confident, which will surprisingly make it come true?

Last edited by cuddlecakes; 11-16-2014 at 05:44 PM.