Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 AM

I can relate. I lived in NYC in my late teens and early 20s, and it was a blast. There was always so much going on, and so much to do.

I did often feel alone, though. The city can be overwhelming at times, especially if you feel lost to start with. I also came from a rural upbringing, and understand the transition. Going to the same places in the city regularly helped me feel a sense of community, even if those places were far apart.

Hang in there, both of you. We're rootin' for ya.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:31 AM

Yeah, NY is really funny that way... There are sometimes when I feel like this place is the most connected in the world... I have NEVER EVER EVER experienced community the way I have since being here. I talk to my neighbors. I hang out with some of them. We share food and spirits. It's a blast.

Yet, other days it's horribly isolating... Like, everyone's so busy that they don't have time to spend with you.
Old 12-20-2009, 09:57 PM

It's been an interesting weekend overall...

Friday evening started out with the plan of going to a whiskey tasting with one of my coworkers, but when we got there the whiskey tasting was over.... but they had a cognac tasting going, which was very yummy. We then went to a craft fair and I started my Christmas shopping. When I got back to the hood, an impromptu Christmas gathering was starting at JD's apt with our neighborhood crew (there's 5 of us who hang out regularly). Drank some whiskey, played some video games and talked... Then they decided they wanted to go out.... I resisted but they dragged me out anyway, but I couldn't get into the bar because somewhere along the line recently, I must have lost my ID. Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! The whole situation was kinda awkward because I was upset and frustrated and just wanted to go home, so one of my friends rode with me in the cab home because I was so freaked out.

Then, yesterday I went over and talked to JD about the anxiety attack I had the night before... I was more embarrassed than anything else. Then another friend of mine came over and we watched TV and he ended up spending the night sleeping in my recliner because he didn't want to trudge home in the snow.

I was all set for a quiet day by myself today... but shortly after my friend left, JD calls me asking if I want to go get some coffee. He was supposed to leave this morning for FL, but his flight got cancelled so he's still here... so now I'm just bumming around home for a bit, and then he, my boss, and I are supposed to go see yet another friend of mine play some jazz tonight.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:02 AM

I'm back home for Christmas... For the most part, I've been enjoying myself. I bussed up on the 24th and had some alone time with Dino and spent the night outside of Boston.

On Christmas Day, we drove up to my parents in NH and had a pretty wonderful day. Opened presents, had dinner, went upstairs and had a wonderful cuddle with Husband and Dino, and just hung out mostly. Dino ended up spending the night, and it was so much fun... kinda like a slumber party. So much fun.

Today my best friend from childhood stopped by for a visit, which was very nice.... and then my in-laws which I wasn't so thrilled about... and then Dino went home. Been sorta on edge since the in-laws where here.... I had really wanted to go out and do my own thing around the time they showed up, but then couldn't... so I ended my day kinda drained and not wanting to do anything but at the same time wanting to go out and do something.... I hate that sort of conflicted feeling... Nevermind feeling a little culture shocked... Evenings out start soooooooo early here. It's 10 PM and I feel like I should be getting ready to go out instead of sitting in my PJs and posting on a message board.

Tomorrow we're supposed to be going to the inlaws to see BIL and SIL and our niece, which I'm only quasi looking forward to...
Old 12-29-2009, 01:31 AM

This trip has mostly been a bust. Husband, my father and I all got sick yesterday with slightly different things. Husband and Dad both had tummy trouble, but didn't seem to get sick the same way and within 24 hours were fine, and I woke up yesterday with a sore throat and congested and swearing it was head cold round 5. So, we didn't end up getting to see BIL, SIL and our niece after all, which I guess I'm a little disappointed about but honestly, I was feeling a little socially worn out in regards to family.

Friend wise, I didn't feel like I got to see anybody. I talked to a bunch of people on Facebook, and YGirl invited me out for roller skating, but none of it ended up panning out because I wasn't feeling well...

I go home tomorrow night, bus leaving at 8:30. Going down around 4 so Husband and I can have dinner with Dino before I leave. Husband's staying in NH a little longer to get everything worked out with selling the car. Going to be very glad to have that expense out of my hair soon!

I'm looking forward to getting back to NY. I've been feeling a little flustered this trip because of my computer situation. My Macbook's battery died about two weeks ago, and that's normally what I tote around... I have a Dell Mini, which is what I've been using this trip, but it's awful to type on so I've been alternating between using Husband's laptop and Dad's desktop... which I don't really like doing because neither are my computer. So, I'll be glad to get back to mine!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Custodian

I'm sure we'll get together one of these days!
Old 12-30-2009, 06:36 PM

Yep. I'm sure I'll be back in the near future.

Ended up being an ordeal getting home. Ugh. After I'd been on the bus for about an hour, I get a call from my landlord (at 9:30 PM) saying that they had to change the lock on the front door of my building because it wasn't latching properly and he wanted to know if I was in town to pick up the key, and I said I wasn't going to be back until 1 AM which didn't work for him... so I ended up calling up my boss and staying the night with her.

If there's one thing that I'm utterly annoyed with our landlord about, it's proper notice about these sorts of things...
Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Custodian

Hey, at least the front door locks! He could have left it for another time and the place could have been broken into inside.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:42 PM

That's my feeling on it... I'd much rather be locked out overnight than to have soemone break in. A lot of people I told about the situation kinda fussed because I guess legally I should have been able to pick up the key whenever, but I didn't want to inconvenince anybody and we don't have a live-in super or anything like that.