Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Site Usage > User Guidelines & Forum Features

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 04:01 PM

Exclamation

As an official mod note, I'll provide you with the following answer...

Any IP's on this site which have been blocked, have been so because of spammers, which means the exit nodes from Tor have been used to deliver spam to this board. We try to hunt down and eradicate spam with extreme prejudice here, so there will be no lifting of banned IP's.

As for privacy issues, the only people seeing the IP's here are the Mods. Outside of that, the responsibility for your privacy is your own, and as has been discussed there are many ways to manage that which you seem more than familiar with.

Thanks for offering your suggestions on how we might make the forum easier for some users, however I'm glad you found a work around because this particular suggestion will not be implemented or entertained further.

-Imaginary Illusion

How did I get here & Where am I going?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
I suppose it comes down to whether or not I feel that I can be as honest as I wish. The machinery is heavy-duty, sure, but to me it's just an icon that I double-click. I'm willing to have a slightly slower connection to not have to worry about it.

As for what I'm worrying about: I don't know, to be honest. I'm lucky enough to have loving parents that wouldn't really care and coworkers who are more scandalous than anything here. That said, I'd still rather not deal with it.

Since posting this, I've also realized that the forum session is tied to the IP address, so unbanning the exit nodes would at best improve the browsing experience when not logged in. So it may be a moot point. I can deal.
I mean if you really feel like you want to do this, its your system though I cant profess to understand the reasoning.

I'm a little more cautious than others may be on account that you're asking questions about how to effectively use anonymity software to get onto a forum. That sends up no small number of red flags.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."
Old 12-28-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
That sends up no small number of red flags.
I'm not sure I understand why it would raise red flags. The forum guidelines advocate anonymity. I just took it one step further by not trusting the owners that I don't know and their security practices into which I have no insight.

I've been very clear and honest about my intentions and my methods. If I was here to cause harm, I wouldn't be pointing out how I'm able to access the site anonymously. In fact, if the owners are serious about cutting down on spam, I'm sure they can find a list of current Tor exit nodes to block outright--it'd certainly be more effective than picking them off one at a time. They'd fall out of date, though. Maybe there's a vBulletin plugin to keep such a list up to date.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
I'm not sure I understand why it would raise red flags. The forum guidelines advocate anonymity. I just took it one step further by not trusting the owners that I don't know and their security practices into which I have no insight.

I've been very clear and honest about my intentions and my methods. If I was here to cause harm, I wouldn't be pointing out how I'm able to access the site anonymously. In fact, if the owners are serious about cutting down on spam, I'm sure they can find a list of current Tor exit nodes to block outright--it'd certainly be more effective than picking them off one at a time. They'd fall out of date, though. Maybe there's a vBulletin plugin to keep such a list up to date.
I'm not accusing you of anything at all and understand I'm speaking entirely for myself (though others may agree), but again understand that you're coming onto a forum and asking about ways to anonymously log onto that forum.

I have no idea why you're asking for that information. You could easily be fishing for a security gap to let in a flood of spambots, looking for a way to gather personal information for a variety of purposes, or just looking for a way to troll with impunity.

I have no way of determining what your intentions actually are and as such am forced to assume the worst out of a desire for self-protection. Its absolutely nothing personal, its not a result of anything you've done or anyone you've pissed off. Its very simple caution.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."
Old 12-28-2012, 02:50 PM

People that have things to hide, like to stay in the dark.

Also, it's quite fun for some, I've seen on other forums, to make no small number of different usernames, profiles, etc. It's evidently how forum junkies get off...