Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Life stories and blogs

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 AM

I was totally "awwww" reading that <3 I can see, though, how it could bring up quite conflicting emotions.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post
I don't mind being vulnerable, generally, but it's kind of terrible to be vulnerable to someone who's not vulnerable in the same way to you.
Sometimes I wonder how it is that I, a 50-something woman who has been in a gazillion relationships, experienced many hardships, and in the midst of dissolving a 12-year marriage, could feel so vulnerable with someone.

I am pretty darn certain that whatever makes this difference in affection and love so "terrible" is not the feeling of love itself. Love just is. Nor is it the feeling of being vulnerable, which can be so exciting. It is the wishing things were different, the hoping for more than what I have, and the belief that what he can give is not enough somehow, which creates pain. I have come to realize that it is expectation and longing that hurts - not the love and vulnerability we feel. I keep working on letting go of that, and to just love. I keep reminding myself that to love someone is to let him be who he is, and to create a space for him to feel free.

I'll stop rambling now. Oftentimes, when you write, Annabel, there is a sentence or two that just sparks some thoughts and feelings that have been tumbling around my head.

But that vulnerability... is such a beautiful thing. I think letting ourselves feel that vulnerable really helps us to also become strong. Two sides of the same coin.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 05-01-2014 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 PM

Thanks for sharing, Nyc. I'm glad you guys are doing well, and I'm glad we can find food for thought in each other's stories (because it definitely cuts both ways).

This I especially liked:
"But that vulnerability... is such a beautiful thing. I think letting ourselves feel that vulnerable really helps us to also become strong. Two sides of the same coin."
Old 12-10-2012, 10:05 PM

Gia and Eric work at the same place, a large and powerful company. Friday night was the company's annual holiday party, and, since they both work there now (Eric had for years, Gia just started this year), they could both go and still both invite others as their one guest each. An ideal situation for poly folks. Gia brought me, and Eric brought Helen, a friend and, newly, lover of his, who I mentioned very briefly when they first got involved about a month and a half ago.

We all had a great deal of fun taking the event very seriously, like a prom. Eric actually rented a tux. Gia dressed me up in a gown and heels, did my hair, and put makeup and jewelry on me. She was dressed impeccably, and Helen looked very nice as well. Our friend who was babysitting Bee for the evening also happens to be a photographer, and he took portraits of us, separately and together.

Despite all the prep, the party was far more lavish -- and crowded, despite the fact that it sprawled over multiple floors -- than either Helen or I had envisioned. I reveled in it (and in the open bar, though I'm proud to say that I don't believe I became obnoxious at any point), Helen seemed nervous all night, Eric mingled effortlessly, and Gia seemed more at ease than Helen but still stuck near the people she knew.

It was a very interesting experience, being out in a poly pod without actually being "out" (Gia and Eric aren't out at work). Being out or in didn't really come up, since no one questioned who we were. More than anything, I just found it delightful. Gia looked so beautiful, Eric so handsome, I was proud to be with them, and felt protective of Helen. We talked about many things at great length, both with others and amongst ourselves, and ate and drank a great deal. It felt almost dreamlike in a way, slightly unreal.

Gia mentioned again, recently, that she worries that our relationship is unfair to me because the pace at which she is able to explore her sexuality is so slow. I wrote her a long email today explaining all the ways in which I feel extraordinarily lucky to be with her. The more I thought and wrote it out the clearer it seemed to me. I'm interested to see how she responds.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:11 PM

The party sounds amazing. And I really like the idea of writing down everything you appreciate in Gia and your relationship, for her to see and for yourself as well. It works for me too, when I write stuff down or talk about it with someone, it usually sinks in better that way.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnabelMore View Post
Gia mentioned again, recently, that she worries that our relationship is unfair to me because the pace at which she is able to explore her sexuality is so slow. I wrote her a long email today explaining all the ways in which I feel extraordinarily lucky to be with her. The more I thought and wrote it out the clearer it seemed to me. I'm interested to see how she responds.
So, immediately after I sent the long email, I sent another one with a haiku summing it all up. She replied, thanking me for the tl;dr version and saying she was really busy and that she'd probably have a chance to read the rest tomorrow (aka the day that just passed). I explicitly said in the email that I didn't require much, if anything, in the way of a response.

She hasn't written back yet. There is absolutely no reason for me to be worried.

And, yet, here I am freaking out. Just a little! Well, enough that I felt like I needed to come here and talk about it. Like, what if I said the wrong thing, what if I took the wrong approach, what if she's asking herself if she can really handle this?

Ugh ugh ugh. I really hope she writes back tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:16 AM

I just want to go to sleep and not wake up until she's written me back. I can handle so many things with aplomb, but uncertainty makes me fall apart. This is like being in high school again and it suuuuucks.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 AM

Lack of feedback is so hard. Our imaginations are ASSHOLES and manage to come up with something (or many things!) a million times worse than any feedback our partner(s) would EVER give, even if they were to give negative feedback (however unlikely). *HUGS* I get it, and I'm sorry you're currently going through it.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 AM

Thanks, TGIG, it helps to hear that stuff. I'm just going to work on not thinking about it, I think that's all I can do right now.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM

I'm at work and don't have much time to write. But I had to let y'all know this news with all due speed.

First off, Gia responded to the email. She said that it was very nice and reassuring and that she loves me, proving what I already knew -- that I was an idiot for ever worrying.

And...

I told Eric I loved him, via online chat. I was just ready, I finally couldn't not do it anymore. I almost didn't even care how he responded. I gave him a little preface about this being for my benefit, to get it off my chest, and about being happy in our current relationship and not needing anything to change, and then I said "I love you. I love you completely. I think of you like family, but sexier." Then I admitted that I felt incredibly awkward. He said "aww, it's fine", and thanks (with a smiley face, for extra sincerity), and that he was glad that I felt comfortable enough to say something. It doesn't sound like much, but it was pretty much the best response I could have expected, and Gia concurred that it was the height of responsiveness and sensitivity coming from him (he loathes conversations about feelings and would generally much prefer not to engage on such topics), especially considering the less than ideal time of year (he tends to shut down in winter).

I feel more quiet and calm in my heart about both of them than I have... since I started this blog, really, since ever. I'm going on a four-day out-of-state trip tomorrow, traveling on my own for pleasure for the first time in my life, and now I can do it with clarity of mind.

Last edited by AnnabelMore; 12-13-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Tags
bisexual, boundaries, mono/poly, pregnancy, secondary, unrequited, vee