Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 01:52 AM

It's good in theory, but the result would probably be:

Quote:
hey ur hawt lol

123456789 qwertyuiop[ asdfghjkl; zxcvbnm,.
in a non-zero number of cases.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emm View Post
It's good in theory, but the result would probably be:

in a non-zero number of cases.
I don't see why you couldn't code the filter to block that kind of message where most of it is just slamming your face on the keyboard.
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."
Old 12-02-2012, 03:42 AM

You're cute, and I'm interested. What's your name?

I recently switched my profile over so guys could see me tooo and wow this is one of the better ones to be honest one I got recently was so crude it made me mad... (deleted it but gah)
Old 12-02-2012, 05:14 PM

This is excerpted from an article on Fetlife but is relevant to okc as well.

3. Why are you friend requesting me?

Holy crap, look at that totally hot picture! Are you instantly hitting the friend request button? No matter how hard your dick is, please take a moment to actually read the profile of the person you are friend requesting. Is she up for being friends with random Internet people? Does she have a Master who needs to approve the friend request first? Follow her guidelines and behave accordingly. Be respectful.

4. Why are you sending me a message?

Did you see the above about reading a woman's profile before friend requesting? The same rules apply for sending a message.

Can you imagine just walking up to a stranger in a grocery store and saying to her "yur hot. wuz up?" Would you be surprised if she gave you a weird look and then just walked away? Would you walk up to a stranger in a coffee shop and say, "slut, you're my bitch now and should get where you belong! On your knees and start sucking my cock!" Or throw yourself at her feet, crying "this slave is the scum of the earth, Goddess Ma'am, and eagerly awaits you to trample its balls!"

Sending a message to a stranger on Fetlife like the above is not all that much different. Please, for the love of kink just don't do it.

Newsflash - women tend to get lots of messages on sites like this. If the best thing you can come up with is "what's up" then you're not ready to send a message to that woman. If you're not already in a D/s relationship with someone, then sending them an explicitly domly or subby message is not appropriate. Especially if you send it to a woman and it isn't even her correct orientation! E.g. sending a dominating message to a woman who identifies as a domina or top.

If you want to be a cut above the rest, send a respectful, creative, and intelligent message that actually SAYS something. A tasteful compliment, a comment on a recent post she made, a question about a relevant fetish, whatever. If you don't get a response, brush it off and move on. Sending an additional angry message calling the woman a bitch for not responding isn't going to win you any points. Guess what? She may be busy, or offline, or simply not interested in responding. The fact that you sent a message does not somehow entitle you to a response.

Do not send the same mass message to every woman you can find in your area. It's obvious, and we do talk to each other.

5. Finally, to the Thoughtful and Not Annoying at All Guys

For those of you who already do all of the above, thank you for NOT being That Guy. You are a breath of fresh air, and if you're not getting laid now I hope you do so in the very near future.
And behalf of all the ladies on Fetlife, i'd like to wish you the very best of luck..
Love withers under constraint; its very essence is liberty. It is compatible neither with envy, jealousy or fear. It is there most pure, perfect and unlimited when its votaries live in confidence, equality and unreserve. -- Shelley

me: Mags, 59, living with:
miss pixi, 37
Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdlyn View Post

Do not send the same mass message to every woman you can find in your area. It's obvious, and we do talk to each other.
Absolutely this. I've been getting messages from a guy in his 50's who is looking to be someone's sugar daddy or daddy depending on the message. Runic Wolf's ex is getting the same exact messages. He lives somewhere in our area and sounds incredibly desperate. Especially since he puts his phone number in every message I get (and ignore).

The other thing I get is random friend requests. I am a member of a few different Dagorhir and other LARP groups, so I may not always recognize someone's handle. I politely send a reply to all friend requests asking if they can tell me where they know me from as I do not accept friend requests from perfect strangers, only friends and friends of friends.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:11 AM

My most recent message was from the girl I'm talking to letting me know that she hadn't forgotten about me but that she's just been busy moving and doesn't want to type up a long message on her phone.

I'm really looking forward to getting to know her and at the least forming a friendship with her.
Merry: Tig's wife/slave
NT: Merry's boyfriend/owner
Elle: NT and Merry girlfriend
Umbra: Elle's Dom
Pet: Umbra's slave/wife, Elle girlfriend
Domo: Pet's submissive
Old 12-03-2012, 09:53 AM

I have to admit, I'm guilty of a recent one-liner. His "You should message me if..." was simply "You remind me of the babe."

I couldn't resist the urge to reply "What babe?" even though it's a total cliche and not the first time he's gotten that... And come to think of it, a cleverly devious ploy to get people to message him...

But he replied almost instantly with the appropriate next response ("The babe with the power"), at which point I initiated an actual conversation.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
I have to admit, I'm guilty of a recent one-liner. His "You should message me if..." was simply "You remind me of the babe."

I couldn't resist the urge to reply "What babe?" even though it's a total cliche and not the first time he's gotten that... And come to think of it, a cleverly devious ploy to get people to message him...

But he replied almost instantly with the appropriate next response ("The babe with the power"), at which point I initiated an actual conversation.
Ah, The Labyrinth. Probably the source of my lifelong attraction to long-haired men in tight pants...
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM

Haha! The love of Bowie is everywhere. Another message board I'm on has a loooong running gag about Bowie's pants. It's even involved cakes in the past.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post

Oh, that is actually a great one liner! Shows that you read his profile and get where he was coming from with that! Brilliant. Plus, you know, Bowie...

Tags
communication, online dating