Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > General Poly Discussions

Notices

Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 AM

I think BG was doing the original poster a favor, by giving them even more information on the topic they were asking about. I don't think he posted the link to dissuade the original poster from the community of this particular thread.

I do agree with this though:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGirlInGray View Post
What I and sparklepop are trying to get at (correct me if I'm wrong, sparklepop!) is that it's fine to provide links to other threads as long as that's not your ENTIRE reply. Yes, you were trying to be helpful, but you also didn't respond with any personal perspective.
Anyways though, that is getting off topic.

A lot of what I wanted to say has already been said. I haven't come out to my family about being polyamorous. I don't think that they will disapprove of it, but I think they would be confused and ask me why I would want that. It would take a lot of explaining, so I think I'm waiting on a time when I have the patience and energy to explain it to them. My husband's family, on the other hand, will never find out. I think that would be a disaster.

I am on both sides of the fence about this one. In terms of coming out to family. I think it depends on the level of comfort you have with them knowing. Being polyamorous is really not anyone's business, unless you feel comfortable letting people know. Some people feel better coming out and having it out in the open, other people are fine just keeping it to themselves, or only telling close friends.

I am personally an open person and like people knowing that about me. It honestly feels weird that certain people in my life don't know about it yet.

Honestly, I think you will know when and if you feel comfortable disclosing that you're poly to your family members. Maybe you'll decide not to, and I think that's perfectly fine too. Whatever feels most comfortable.
"When we are first born, all we know is how to want, we want food, we want attention. Natural instinct, I guess. But kindness is something that we all have to learn as we go. It's something that grows and develops slowly over time. True kindness isn't something we are born with, it's something we have to work at, we have to mold it and shape it within ourselves. Not everyone has it, but I think everyone has the potential." - Honda Tohru

Last edited by Tohru; 11-25-2012 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringGuy View Post
You know what? I was trying to be helpful. I put in links to threads that are on topic to what the OP asked.

THAT IS WHAT I DID, SHERLOCK. So take your own advice and "move on to the next thread". Or don't reply. It's not hard.

You're the one who made this all negative. Put me on your Ignore list if you can't handle my posts like a grown-up.

Sheesh. Some people around here...
Oh, no. I can handle you just fine, darling.

Sorry, faux, for this little interlude. Back to the topic of the thread!

Me: (30f) open poly
Serious long-distance relationship with GF (40f)
Casual FWB with Descartes (27f)

“Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without." ~ Buddha
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM

After coming out to my parents a couple of weeks ago, I'm pretty much to the whole wide world.
Everybody at work knows (in various degrees - obviously I don't talk about it with everybody, but I don't keep anyone purposely in the dark, either).

We have no kids, which makes a lot of these things a lot easier.

I've written about this on other threads, for me being out is not so much about the relationships I'm having. It's about me, and being honest about the life I'm living.

Tags
being out, closets