Polyamory.com Forum  

Go Back   Polyamory.com Forum > Polyamory > Fireplace

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycindie View Post
Supposedly mothers are having their young daughters shave or wax as soon as it starts to grow. This is insanity - if people were meant to be hairless, we wouldn't have hair to begin with.
I agree that mothers having their pubescent daughters waxed is madness. But I generally dislike the "if people were meant to ____, we would ____" argument style. Are we not then "meant" to live naked in caves eating scavenged roots and berries?

Similarly, people cut the hair on their heads to make a fashion statement or to satisfy job requirements. Surely if our hair was meant to be worn at shoulder length, it would quit growing there on its own.

I don't think humans are in any way superior to other animals; but we are rather clever at adaptation. We mould our environments around us the way we want them. We create intentional relationships for purposes other than procreating. To that end, we're "meant" to do all the clever things we can think of, provided they are our own choice.

I think ultimately, the "meant to" arguments rub me the wrong way because they speak to an intelligent designer, a spiritual belief to which I personally do not subscribe.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 11-22-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
Quote:
Supposedly mothers are having their young daughters shave or wax as soon as it starts to grow. This is insanity - if people were meant to be hairless, we wouldn't have hair to begin with.
I agree that mothers having their pubescent daughters waxed is madness. But I generally dislike the "if people were meant to ____, we would ____" argument style. Are we not then "meant" to live naked in caves eating scavenged roots and berries?

. . . I think ultimately, the "meant to" arguments rub me the wrong way because they speak to an intelligent designer, a spiritual belief to which I personally do not subscribe.
Oh, well, yeah, it was a lame way to argue my point, I agree. However, I never thought it would come out that way, as if I was citing intelligent design -- being a non-theist myself. I just meant that biologically we have hair, and when puberty hits we grow hair "down there," because of hormones and all the changes a body goes through at that time -- so when I said "meant to" I was referring to the natural, biological, hormonal process of reaching sexual maturity, of which pubic hair is a part. There is a biological reason for pubic hair, I'm sure, though I don't know what it is.

In this context, when I talk about a "reason" or something "meant to be" a certain way, I really am just saying what is a natural biological process for humans - and having young girls wax or shave it all off, before they've had a chance to be sexual and relate to their own bodies and sexuality in a healthy, accepting way seems to be teaching them that there is something wrong with having pubic hair. At least, when you're an adult, you choose to do it out of a preference you have, not because you think it should be done automatically, no matter what.

Oh, oh, can't you see? Love is the drug for me. ~Bryan Ferry
"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein
Old 11-22-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Oh, well, yeah, it was a lame way to argue my point, I agree. However, I never thought it would come out that way, as if I was citing intelligent design -- being a non-theist myself. There is a biological reason for pubic hair, I'm sure, though I don't know what it is.
Fair enough. I don't know why it pushed a button for me. Explanation accepted

Quote:
having young girls wax or shave it all off, before they've had a chance to be sexual and relate to their own bodies and sexuality in a healthy, accepting way seems to be teaching them that there is something wrong with having pubic hair.
And not only "wrong with pubic hair" but it teaches them that they are expected to change their bodies because of what other people think, which is sad. What's sadder is that their mothers have internalized that way of thinking, and do it without even realizing how detrimental that is to their kids' (and their own) self-esteem.

And that's all nothing compared to removing foreskins from baby boys. They don't get a vote even in principle, and the procedure is irreverisble. At least a 13 year old has the capacity to tell her mom to fuck off and leave her pubic hair alone. When she grows up, she can make the choice herself despite what her mom taught her as a teenager.

The most dangerous phrase in the English language is "we've always done it this way."
Old 11-22-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
And not only "wrong with pubic hair" but it teaches them that they are expected to change their bodies because of what other people think, which is sad. What's sadder is that their mothers have internalized that way of thinking, and do it without even realizing how detrimental that is to their kids' (and their own) self-esteem.
Yeah, I meant to complete my sentence with ". . . seems to be teaching them that there is something wrong with having pubic hair, or that their bodies are unacceptable just as they are."

I have to say, I really dislike shaving but I'm guilty of kowtowing to popular trends. It's so much trouble, but I do it anyway, even though I have had some problems with ingrown hairs getting infected. I keep saying to myself that I will let my bush all grow in again and just trim it. But then I'll be getting ready for a date and not want to disappoint the guy and I shave it all off again (except for a little patch). Being overweight with a bit of a belly, I really think bare looks dumb on me, but this is what people expect nowadays.

I started this thread because after being monogamous for 12 years, when I started dating after we separated, I was quite shocked to discover that men were shaving too now. It still weirds me out. I love it when a guy lets his pubes grow. As I said earlier, I love the fragrance that the pubic hair holds.

"Love is that condition in which another person's happiness is essential to your own." ~Robert Heinlein

Last edited by nycindie; 05-01-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:21 PM

The part I don't understand is how men can stand to wax or sugar. I know how much it hurts me, and my skin is much tougher and I've got a woman's tolerance for pain. My husband "eeps!" if I accidentally pinch his balls a little too hard... and the skin is so loose. I just don't understand the physics of it all...

Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 AM

Quote:
The part I don't understand is how men can stand to wax or sugar. I know how much it hurts me, and my skin is much tougher and I've got a woman's tolerance for pain. My husband "eeps!" if I accidentally pinch his balls a little too hard... and the skin is so loose. I just don't understand the physics of it all...
When I was dating Shorty, I asked him about that. He goes to a salon and gets waxed. He said he liked the sensation of the hot wax and it was always a bit of a turn-on for him, and worth the pain. I do recall him saying something about having to hold his dick out of the way and pull the skin on his balls taut so the esthetician could do what she had to do. I've never been waxed (legs or pubes) because I can't afford it, so I don't know how it feels, but I'm sure I wouldn't like it "down there." There is a video online somewhere which is a montage of women's faces at the moment the wax is ripped off their pubes and they all look like they're being stabbed or something.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:41 AM

Quote:
When I was dating Shorty, I asked him about that. He goes to a salon and gets waxed. He said he liked the sensation of the hot wax and it was always a bit of a turn-on for him, and worth the pain. I do recall him saying something about having to hold his dick out of the way and pull the skin on his balls taut so the esthetician could do what she had to do. I've never been waxed (legs or pubes) because I can't afford it, so I don't know how it feels, but I'm sure I wouldn't like it "down there." There is a video online somewhere which is a montage of women's faces at the moment the wax is ripped off their pubes and they all look like they're being stabbed or something.
Yeah, I get sugared about every 6 weeks. I'm not going to lie. It fucking hurts. It doesn't even hurt any less now than when I started 4 years ago. But it's so nice and soft after. I seriously sit there and like... pet myself. Not even sexually, just like... niiice kitty.

I also sugar my own legs and pits. I'm letting the legs grow out for the winter (insulation!). I took the sugaring course for about $600, which included enough sugar to last a couple years and enough of the other supplies (drying powder, spray, super awesome after-lotion) to last a lifetime. Legs cost about $60 and pits about $20, so it's paid for itself several times over. And unlike the full LA bikini (aka Brazilian), the pain in the legs does diminish over time. Pits still hurt, but they're a small area and it's over quickly. I like that when I'm done all that, I don't have to think about it until next month. I could never stand the tedium of shaving every day.

I think I'll ask if I can come next time my husband gets full body sugared. Honestly, it sounds hilarious. I've always thought man parts were sorta... funny looking. I'm just trying to imagine the ball sack acrobats required, and I can't help but laugh. Then again, I'm a wee bit off

Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened."
I am as direct as a T-Rex with 'roid rage and about as subtle. It isn't intended to cause upset, I just prefer to talk plain. There are plenty of other people here who do the nice, polite thing much better than I can. I'm what you'd call a "problem dinner guest."
Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Are there any men here who shave their pubic area and/or chest on a regular basis? Just wondering why you do it, and if you do it yourself or go somewhere to have it done. My new lover is completely shaven (chest, groin, balls, everything) and this is the first time I've ever been with a man who does that. A friend of mine wondered if he likes to wear leather underwear and maybe being shaved feels better for that - hahaha! I'm going to ask him his motivation next time we're together, but I'm interested in other perspectives from the guys out there. Thanks!
For me I used to do it cause it makes it look bigger. Now I like the feeling and easy hygiene. The problem is when you do it over and over the hair coverage somehow spreads! I stopped shaving all the way when it started working its way up my shaft. But ya It`s eiither hygiene, he wants it to look/feel bigger, or thats just his style. All that matters is that you tell him your thoughts on it. S-so... do you like it?
Old 06-23-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipPaulson View Post
For me I used to do it cause it makes it look bigger.
Okay, several guys have said that in this thread and I think that notion is utterly ridiculous. Dudes, we can all see how big your shlong is whether there is hair there or not! Duh.

Tags
bush, genitalia, grooming, hair, physical health, preferences, pubic, shave, shaving